SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 4 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the status:

Bierhause15 $150.67
Brewwien $34.76

CidahMastah
Chrisp522
Jhenderson27
Rustbucket
Gergelgat
Copyright1997
CBK
Captn731
Zeno27
Dannschuler

Zeepo
TwoGunz

Scottishpete
Kzhusker

BOLD GREEN = PAID and CLEARED

I'll get right on this, though paypal out of nowhere deactivated my account last month... wtf is up with that?

Just a heads up. If we receive all payments today we might get this for Friday shipment, MAYBE. If payment is delayed until tomorrow there is a good chance that we won't be getting this in until Monday Tuesday of next week.

Here is the status:

Bierhause15 $150.67
Brewwien $34.76

CidahMastah
Chrisp522
Jhenderson27
Rustbucket
Gergelgat
Copyright1997
CBK
Captn731
Zeno27
Dannschuler

Zeepo
TwoGunz

Scottishpete
Kzhusker

BOLD GREEN = PAID and CLEARED

New guys:

If anyone doesn't have my address for pickup please shoot me a PM with your email and I will get it over to you.

Hey guys, you are in luck. NCM improperly sent the grain out early. I was notified today that we will be getting the grain this week. In fact I should have received it and have it sorted by Thursday.

Please remember to bring bags or buckets to take your splits (you will have to weigh your splits out and take them in a bag or bucket that you bring along). As before, I will have a small scale that will weigh up to about 5lbs at a time. Please feel free to grab your scale and bring it if it is better suited.

Please let me know when you plan on showing up this week or weekend so there isn't a case of you showing up and no one here.

My availability will be most evenings starting Thursday through Friday. Saturday I will be unavailable from about 2pm and later. Sunday looks ok for me in the afternoon.

As a courtesy to my wife and doggy - please let me know when you will be showing up.

Unfortunately rust - no cider on draft... sorry man, didn't have a chance to get to it.

Thanks guys - appreciate the quick payment response and I know you all will be happy with the grain!

Also - for the splits - reference the following (I always forget the day of):

55lb bags:
1/2 = 27lb 8oz
1/3 = 18lb 5oz
1/4 = 13lb 12oz

50lb bags:
1/2 =25lbs
1/3 =16lb 10oz
1/4 =6lb 4oz

CIDAH... i think that calls for a linching! haha jk thats, ok we'll still talk about the whole process and what not.. plus if you get it on tap in the next month or so maybe ill take a trip out there to have a taste.. its only a 15-20 minute drive.. if that the way i drive sometimes..

as i discussed with you ill bring a cold summer ale out for you.. that way if you want when i come you can have on the spot!

Sounds good Rust. I really wish I had gotten to it this weekend but it just didn't happen with painting activities! :( Of course my wife didn't hesitate to remind me last night that she still didn't have her cider after work. She threatened she would have to go buy Smirnoff ice!!

By the way, I would love to make a Smirnoff ice clone... over a dollar for a 11.2oz bottle!!

but I digress....

Grain is in today. I haven't sorted it, just received it. So people anxious can start picking up grain starting this evening.

Guys - not sure if this got lost, but the BD munich was substituted to BZ munich - they were out of stock. I pretty much figured that was ok.

i just took a look at my hops... my chinook ones are HUGE.... but my cascades are looking a bit brown and burnt leaves...

tell me what you think... ill post a photo in a little bit...

these are my cascades, the tips of the flowers look burnt or really dried out.. tell me what you think...... the cascades feel quite dry compared to the chinooks but im still not sure if they are ready for picking...

imgp44111.jpg

imgp44101.jpg

anyho these are my chinooks these things are monsters and the bines are loaded with flowers!! one bine is approaching 18' tall these are clearly not ready they are really wet but smell great!... but i thought i would share for a first year plant

That is a 52mm lens cap to show how big it is...
imgp44121.jpg

imgp44151.jpg

By the way - do you have a plan to dry them a bit? I was just thinking of using an old screen and drying them in my basement like I do my garlic and onions, then into mylar bags with oxygen tabs.

I just checked mine the other night and they both had taken on a very nice lupilin smell. Gotta say that i am looking forward to brewing with them.

I think I am still going to wait mine out a bit longer though.

Bierhaus, do you essentially let them dry enough on the bine? Or do you need to supplement that with a couple days drying time? Can you let the lupilin over develop?

To me they still look too green, but what the heck do I know ;)

im either going to do one of two options.... put them on a screen and dry them in the garage...

or do the alton brown thing with corgated furnace filters and a box fan

then they will go into vacuum sealed foodsafe bag and freezer

I was gonna do foodsaver bags, but you know me. My hop collection has grown and since it will take a while to get through it, i spent $20 on 50 mylar bags online with the O2 tabs for (gallon sized bags). The foodsaver seals them!

oh i know, i have mine all vacuumed bagged right now... once i break open the mylar form a 4oz or lb bag the go into 1oz vacuum bags

Bierhaus, do you essentially let them dry enough on the bine? Or do you need to supplement that with a couple days drying time? Can you let the lupilin over develop?

To me they still look too green, but what the heck do I know ;)

You don't want to leave them too long on the bine, ideally you want to pick them right when the lupulin development peaks. I typically start harvesting right around next week, though mine probably wont be ready until September - some still have burrs!

Rust, those look a bit green still - though they might be ready to pick if the lupulin is all there. If they have a dry-papery feel and the cone makes a slight crunch when you grab it, it should be ready to dry. I dry mine between two window screens with a large fan positioned underneath. I do it in the garage on a hot day, though out of direct sunlight.

Lastly, Cidah - I'm working tomorrow in your area. What time would u be around for the grain pickup?

any time after say 5:30 is good tomorrow.

Eh, I'll just wait till next week.

Also, I got in a bunch of those perry pears from my friend downstate. They still look pretty green, though some are quite soft. I thought it was a bit early for pears to be ripening?

Yeha that is a bit early. My pears aren't ready yet. Although, pears are like apples. Early, mid and late bloomers.

You can freeze them to keep them until you press

hey does anybody who is grabbing grain this weekend have some tettnang hops they aren't using? I need 152g to do a rebrew of the Sam adams summer ale recipe I have. Unfortunately I don't have them on hand. I would be willing to trade some hops, maybe buy them off you or similar if I have some hops you are looking for.

I really would appreciated it. I just got the go ahead for a single brew day on Sunday, so I would need them by Sat evening or Sunday morning

hey does anybody who is grabbing grain this weekend have some tettnang hops they aren't using? I need 152g to do a rebrew of the Sam adams summer ale recipe I have. Unfortunately I don't have them on hand. I would be willing to trade some hops, maybe buy them off you or similar if I have some hops you are looking for.

I really would appreciated it. I just got the go ahead for a single brew day on Sunday, so I would need them by Sat evening or Sunday morning

I have 4 oz (113g) (pellets) that you could have which would get you most (but not all) of the way there. I ordered a bunch of hops (4 oz of this, 4 oz of that...) from rebel brewer a couple weeks ago.

I am going to Old Forge on Friday (from Albany) so perhaps I could detour on my way (via Utica) to pick up my grain and deliver the hops. (I was considering this already or on the way home on Sunday.) We would need to coordinate the timing (which I don't know yet but should know some time tomorrow).

Hope this helps. Also, Hennessy Homebrew is close to my home. Their web site implies that they have the pellets in stock (1.95/oz), so I could buy 2 more oz there on my way if you want.

I have 4 oz (113g) (pellets) that you could have which would get you most (but not all) of the way there. I ordered a bunch of hops (4 oz of this, 4 oz of that...) from rebel brewer a couple weeks ago.

I am going to Old Forge on Friday (from Albany) so perhaps I could detour on my way (via Utica) to pick up my grain and deliver the hops. (I was considering this already or on the way home on Sunday.) We would need to coordinate the timing (which I don't know yet but should know some time tomorrow).

Hope this helps. Also, Hennessy Homebrew is close to my home. Their web site implies that they have the pellets in stock (1.95/oz), so I could buy 2 more oz there on my way if you want.

This may work if you don't mind. I will check locally and see if they have tett. pretty sure they don't. Worse case I could make a substitution (I do have a ton of saaz).

When will you know what time you are rolling through to grab your grain?

Doing a little camping up in the ADK?

This may work if you don't mind. I will check locally and see if they have tett. pretty sure they don't. Worse case I could make a substitution.

When will you know what time you are rolling through to grab your grain?

Doing a little camping up in the ADK?

Cidah, anything I can do to help. I don't mind at all. I bought a bunch of different hops with no real plan as they were on sale. At .79/oz I figured I could do 2-4 oz of a variety without a lot of $ risk. I know I won't be using this for at least my next batch (SNPA clone with Cascade, Magnum, Perle.) As an aside, I had Sam's Summer in keg earlier this year - the "real" thing - prior to starting to brew.

I am going there Friday afternoon/early evening. What's the earliest I could meet you?

Cidah, anything I can do to help. I don't mind at all. I bought a bunch of different hops with no real plan as they were on sale. At .79/oz I figured I could do 2-4 oz of a variety without a lot of $ risk. I know I won't be using this for at least my next batch (SNPA clone with Cascade, Magnum, Perle.) As an aside, I had Sam's Summer in keg earlier this year - the "real" thing - prior to starting to brew.

I am going there Friday afternoon/early evening. What's the earliest I could meet you?

I think I will be taking a half day Friday, so I should be getting home around 12-2pm at latest. However, if I see that I will be hung up with something at work and you will be rolling in, I could always make the trip back to my house and get you your grain then scoot back to work (least I could do for you helping me out).

If you are able to get another 2 oz great. If it is a royal PITA - don't sweat it and I can sub in something for the bittering and use the tett for the rest, along with the last aroma addition.

I would be glad to pay you for the hops

I will stop by the lhbs on my way home to pick up the last 2 oz. Regarding payment, don't worry about it. Maybe I could use your mill to grind enough grain for my next batch? (I ordered a barley crusher but won't get it for a couple of weeks.)

Sometime around/after 2:30 works great. If you pm me your number I can call when I know the specific time.

I will stop by the lhbs on my way home to pick up the last 2 oz. Regarding payment, don't worry about it. Maybe I could use your mill to grind enough grain for my next batch? (I ordered a barley crusher but won't get it for a couple of weeks.)

Sometime around/after 2:30 works great. If you pm me your number I can call when I know the specific time.

You can definitely use my mill to chew up grain. It isn't a speed racer, but it cranks out just fine for my doubles.

will pm my cell #

I should be back at my place from 2pm ish and on. So any time after 2 should be alright unless I get held up at work - so give a quick text call etc to check in. I will post on here when I head out.

Kegs

By the way, I was just talking with twogunz about this... I am passively looking to buy a few more kegs, but only at a good price. My buddy is also looking to grab a few. If anyone comes into a bulk deal please keep me in mind. I think between me and my buddy we would be looking for 4-6 total. I am not in any hurry to do it.

Interest so far:
Cidahmastah: 4-6
Rustbucket: 2-3

i might be in for 1 or 2 depending on when this takes place and how much they are... if they are a really good price i might be in for 3 then

I will be out around 2pm today so people can pick up grain shortly after that.

Also - post interest if you want a few kegs (or 1). I may have found a place for a good price.

anybody besides scottishpete showing up for grain today? I need to hit the LHBS so I was to run out, if you are coming please let me know!

Thanks

call me!!

ok headed out - postpone any pickup unless you call - Thanks!

Hey Cidah,
Sorry I have been out of touch lately, my girlfriend just bought a house. So I became a repair man. And now I have to build a keggerator for her too.
Mind if i swing by tomrrow early afternoon? Probably about 1 or 2.

Also I am interested in a keg purchase. Depending on the price I will in for atleast 2 or 3. Maybe more depending on the price and timing.

I could possibly change my mind and grab a keg or 2. Once I start lagering I'm going to tie them up more I think.

Hey Cidah,
Here is that scale I had today.

My Weigh Ultraship 55lb Electronic Digital Shipping Postal Scale in Black with Power Supply Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZZWZEA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is $30 right now but i got mine for like $25 a few weeks ago. Be careful if you are shopping around for it, most of them dont come with the power adapter. It runs off 4 C batteries too.

It does up to 55lbs down to 10ths of a gram. There are 35lbs and 75lbs versions of it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back