SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 4 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rustbucket - I agree with Cidah, give them another 10 days and then check. The lupulin is still a bit underdeveloped, you should have 2-3x as much when they are ready to pick. They sure look nice though.

ok, thanks for both of you on those... i was not sure... better asking than just assuming.... so ill wait 10 days, and take some photos again and post to see what you think...

Man the chilly air this morning got me very excited and thinking about apple pressing season!

Pretty soon I will have to switch gears and get ready for the fall :)

no, idea i just got up... haha 10:50am.. brewing up some AB today! and half the batch im going to let it sit on oak cubes for 3 months.

im excited to come try your cider too, if you have it on tap when i come up to get grain.

no, idea i just got up... haha 10:50am.. brewing up some AB today! and half the batch im going to let it sit on oak cubes for 3 months.

im excited to come try your cider too, if you have it on tap when i come up to get grain.

Hopefully I get to it. Been really busy with the garden and such, then busy weekends. Haven't brewed in almost 3 weeks!!

me either! haha.... but i was also waiting for the hot temperature to subside before i started again... :p

doing ab this week and a dunkelweizen this weekend or next weekend

me either! haha.... but i was also waiting for the hot temperature to subside before i started again... :p

doing ab this week and a dunkelweizen this weekend or next weekend

Which AB recipe are you doing?

BTW - I just did a dunkel about three weeks ago (jamils recipe). Need to clear some kegs so I can get that stuff on gas

My first AG brew will be a dunkelweizen. I just got the ingredients shipped.

6 lbs red wheat
3 lbs Munich
0.25 lb Special B
0.25 lb pale chocolate
Tettnang for ~16 IBU (60 minute addition only)
WLP300

Just to make things interesting, seeing as will be my debut all-grain, I thought I would do a double decoction (Rubbermaid cooler mash tun). Something like 130°, 154°, 168° (I'm guessing my temperatures won't be perfect but I am not too worried).

just so you know you typically dont have to do a protein rest at the 130 or the modified grains...

what i typically do is 154ish depending on the brew, then i dont even mash out... when i sparge my first batch will be 185-190 (brings the temp up to about 168) then just sparge with water at 168 after that until you reach your volume

just so you know you typically dont have to do a protein rest at the 130 or the modified grains...

Yeah, I am going back and forth over that one. If it wasnt 65% wheat, I would not do it, that's for sure. But I was reading Gordon Strong's book, and he does it, so that's what inspired me.

ok, i just wanted to make sure you knew that being your first all-grain.. my first all-grain turned out to be a disaster...

+1 on not doing the step mash or decoction. It isn't necessary unless you are using raw unmalted or modified product. The red wheat you have is malted, so you should get good conversion. If anything, you might want to go for a 90 minute mash at your temp to help coax all the wheat into action. Maybe run the wheat through your mill twice, that seems to help me hit my wheat brew's target gravities.

Anyway, enjoy the process either way. I think you will find most people have great success with a single infusion mash for 60-90 minutes, drain the first runnings, followed by a single batch sparge that brings you up to the total amount of your preboil volume.

i.e. Mash at 154 for 60min, open your valve up and drain off. If you get 2 gallons from your first runnings and need 7.5 preboil, you then add 5.5 gallons to your grain bed, stir and let sit 2 minutes and open your valve and drain off.

All that said it is great to try new things. Once I get my fermentation chamber designed and built (just got an old mini fridge), I may try a decoction for a lager I plan to make. Then again I might not - who knows! ;)

cidah... i hate you :p i want a fermentation chamber!

i double batch sparge... by adding half the amount of water needed at a time...

any news on the grain yet?

cidah... i hate you :p i want a fermentation chamber!

i double batch sparge... by adding half the amount of water needed at a time...

any news on the grain yet?

Haha - Well I don't have it built just yet! One piece at a time ya know?! :)

No quote yet, I will contact the buyer so we can hopefully get the quote, then subsequent payments solidified this weekend for an order placement on Monday.

Update:

I heard back from the buyer. It looks like we should be getting actual pricing today so please keep a look out for when I post your bills. When I do I will reiterate the instructions for payment.

Thanks gents,

Hey gerglegat when you pick up the grain can you pick my keg? It's been collecting dust at Cidah's.

While the keg has given me some street credit in the garage, my wife will be happy to see that out of there!

Hey rust - man I REALLY like this sam adams brew. Man really enjoying it. Love the spice from the grains of paradise

same here!.. i re-did mine and it came out really good!!! same as the recipe i gave you.. but didnt forget the flaked wheat... you can tell the difference if that is not in there big time!

would you like to trade a bottle when we i come to pick up the sack of grain?

Cidah, send me an email. I rebuilt my computer and only have your work address (so you probably didnt get the invoice i sent to it).

same here!.. i re-did mine and it came out really good!!! same as the recipe i gave you.. but didnt forget the flaked wheat... you can tell the difference if that is not in there big time!

would you like to trade a bottle when we i come to pick up the sack of grain?

Yeah we could do that for sure. I ahve a few others set aside too.

This isn't the same one you gave me, but similar. If I remember right I took a series of like 5 recipes and combined parts of them. I think the hop schedule may have been different, not sure what else.

Either way, glad you are liking it too. That is why I bought the flaked wheat bag this round. It seems to do wonders to brews, though I am not sure how it does it.

UPDATE:

Couple issues with the order guys - I will get back to you on this next week when I can clear them up.

UPDATE:

Couple issues with the order guys - I will get back to you on this next week when I can clear them up.

Cidah,
Anything serious? I ask because I've been chomping at the bit to do my first AG using some of the 2ROW in the order. I've been thinking of doing this SNPA clone.

With the great prices from the bulk order and some .79/oz cascade, perle, and magnum hops I picked up a couple of weeks ago, beersmith calculates I can do a 6.5 gal batch for $17.09! (That's .25 cents per 12 oz beer! Of course, that doesn't count the $125 spent for stainless steel pots, the 7 corny kegs I've bought, the idophor, bbright, StarSan, the electricity used, ... :) ).

copyright1997 said:
With the great prices from the bulk order and some .79/oz cascade, perle, and magnum hops I picked up a couple of weeks ago, beersmith calculates I can do a 6.5 gal batch for $17.09! (That's .25 cents per 12 oz beer! Of course, that doesn't count the $125 spent for stainless steel pots, the 7 corny kegs I've bought, the idophor, bbright, StarSan, the electricity used, ... :) ).

That's exactly why you just don't count that stuff! ;-)

+1 on that twogunz!

copyright - nothing major, they just missed a bag on the order. Unfortunately they don';t work weekends so it will be resolved Monday. Shipping is way high this time too. over 300 vs. 250 last time. But split through 42 bags so not that bad.

I am drinking hte SNPA clone from BYO now - it is good stuff as is the torpedo clone. Can't go wrong with that!

Copyrite...made that recipe 4 times. Good start however i have tweaked it with excellent results. Let me know if you want the recipe. It came out marvelous. Actually judged by a old beer judge.

Copyrite...made that recipe 4 times. Good start however i have tweaked it with excellent results. Let me know if you want the recipe. It came out marvelous. Actually judged by a old beer judge.

I would very much like to see the modified recipe. I am either going to brew it tomorrow using some extra pale DME I have (extract version), or try to patiently wait until the order comes in and I pick up the grain. I didn't do anything today as I was busy cleaning up 5 ball lock corny's which I bought cheap ($20 each), which I had to do first as my previous batch is occupying the primary...

So, tomorrow the batch in the primary gets put in a corny (as a secondary) and then I can be off to the races on this one! (I brewed a blue moon clone extract.)

Today's purchases were a digital scale for weighing hops/small amounts of grain, thermometer (I've been using a laser thermometer), another turkey baster (that I can dedicate to be a beer thief for getting samples to test SG), a plastic ruler (staples, 25 cents) that I hope to use to measure volumes (I have to test it first to make sure it doesn't melt...alternatively, are there any recommendations for what to use as a measuring stick?), and some ph test strips so I can determine if my water is an issue.

I still need to buy a mill or if I go hog wild the barley crusher and buy/make a wort chiller.

Hopefully, I can soon stop buying things. As of now, I think I could have gotten a few 1/2 barrels of SNPA with all the purchases!

Hey Guys,

Here is the final bill - let me know if you have any questions:

Kzhusker $105.48
Zeepo $108.98
Bierhause15 $150.67
ScottishPete $130.24
TwoGunz $178.53
Brewwien $34.76

CidahMastah
Chrisp522
Jhenderson27
Rustbucket
Gergelgat
Copyright1997
CBK
Captn731
Zeno27
Dannschuler

BOLD GREEN = PAID and CLEARED

To pay, please follow these instructions carefully to avoid improper paypal fees.
• Click the "Send Money" tab at the top.
• Put in the my email address (check your PM inbox to get that address).
• Put in the amount to send.

Here's the important part...• Under the amount box, click the "Personal" tab.
• Select "Gift".
• If you are paying from an existing paypal balance, or from your bank account, no fees will be charged. BUT... Paypal charges transaction fees for anything that is paid for with a CREDIT CARD. If you are paying with a credit card, you will have the option of selecting who has to cough up the money for those fees. Do not push those fees onto the buyer. Suck those fees up yourself.
• In the area at the bottom where it allows you to type in the custom text for the email that buyer will receive, be sure to include your name, as it appears on the spreadsheet (your homebrewtalk user name), so that buyer can track who has paid and who hasn't.
• Then send the money and chill out.
When the I have collected all the coin I will forward to the buyer in one installment and he'll place the order.

No problem giving your keg a lift home. Don't know when that will be just yet. Remind me when it's time.
Cheers!

No problem giving your keg a lift home. Don't know when that will be just yet. Remind me when it's time.
Cheers!

I think you and copyright are albany folks - might be able to split the cost of gas and tolls - just sayin' ;)

Hey Guys,

Here is the final bill - let me know if you have any questions:
Copyright1997 $107.62

Money sent (paypal).
Thanks again for organizing this!

A question for you: Any idea of the shipping cost of two pallets vs. 1 pallet?

Also, for anyone in the Albany area who missed this and just wants 2row, Hennessy Homebrew (Rt 4) has a sign on their door offering 50# of 2 row for (I think) $35. Has to be ordered by August 31st and picked up by September 7th. (All this from memory, so call them to verify.) Not as good a deal, but stilll about 1/2 their per pound price.

I think you and copyright are albany folks - might be able to split the cost of gas and tolls - just sayin' ;)

Cheers!

Good idea. Depending on when the order arrives, I might also be able to go get the order for both of us. (I work part time.)

copyright - I think 2 pallets is cheaper per pallet, but we haven't done a 2 pallet order yet.

Back