SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 4 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Cidah,
Here is that scale I had today.

My Weigh Ultraship 55lb Electronic Digital Shipping Postal Scale in Black with Power Supply Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZZWZEA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is $30 right now but i got mine for like $25 a few weeks ago. Be careful if you are shopping around for it, most of them dont come with the power adapter. It runs off 4 C batteries too.

It does up to 55lbs down to 10ths of a gram. There are 35lbs and 75lbs versions of it too.

Nice scale, but the Amazon description states: "The Ultraship 55 is a fine weighing scale for any office or warehouse. It has dual resolution. When weighing items under 2 pounds, it weighs with 0.1 ounce resolution. When weighing items over 2 pounds, it weighs with 0.5 ounce resolution." So, that's about +/- 3 grams. (I only looked because I was amazed at any digital scale would have a tenth of a gram accuracy and be able to hold 55 pounds!)

Still, looks like a great scale! (my Walmart special only goes to 11 pounds).

Last edited by a moderator:
Kegs

By the way, I was just talking with twogunz about this... I am passively looking to buy a few more kegs, but only at a good price. My buddy is also looking to grab a few. If anyone comes into a bulk deal please keep me in mind. I think between me and my buddy we would be looking for 4-6 total. I am not in any hurry to do it.

Interest so far:
Cidahmastah: 4-6
Rustbucket: 2-3

Cidah,
I mentioned to you on Friday that I had picked up 5 kegs @ $20/each. (These are ball lock.) Here's the link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/20-00-non-reconditioned-kegs-257368/

Terry (the vendor) mentioned that he hopes to have more in "about a month" which would be around September 10th. I picked these up in person while visiting family in Pittsburgh. While I've cleaned all 5, I have only pressure checked 3 and so far so good (I am replacing the o-rings "just because").

I also found this company on ebay selling pin-lock kegs (used) for $20 (the listing now says $22 or make an offer). This is a distributor in Florida (Winter Park area?). I did email them and they said would do bulk sales, but looking at their site they mention multiple pallets (300 min), so I don't know what they would be willing to do on a smaller order. (I also decided I wanted to get ball-lock since the two kegs I already had are ball-lock.)

Again, it was great to meet you. The next time I will have to order more since I had some room left in my car. :)

A bit off topic, but does anyone know of or have a scale that can measure down to 1/4 or 1/10th of a gram? My regular one only goes down to a 1/4 ounce and that is too much for some of my water additions.

I checked around the big name stores the other day but with no luck... and I got tired of explaining that the white powders I am trying to measure are used for beer making and not something else. :cross:

Bier my scale i got at macys measures down to a .1 of an ounce. If i do believe its a martha stewart. Ill look when home tomorrow nite.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know of or have a scale that can measure down to 1/4 or 1/10th of a gram? My regular one only goes down to a 1/4 ounce and that is too much for some of my water additions.

I checked around the big name stores the other day but with no luck... and I got tired of explaining that the white powders I am trying to measure are used for beer making and not something else. :cross:

Something like this?

Or these?

Hey Cidah,
Here is that scale I had today.

My Weigh Ultraship 55lb Electronic Digital Shipping Postal Scale in Black with Power Supply Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZZWZEA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is $30 right now but i got mine for like $25 a few weeks ago. Be careful if you are shopping around for it, most of them dont come with the power adapter. It runs off 4 C batteries too.

It does up to 55lbs down to 10ths of a gram. There are 35lbs and 75lbs versions of it too.

thanks for this Dan!

Cidah,
I mentioned to you on Friday that I had picked up 5 kegs @ $20/each. (These are ball lock.) Here's the link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/20-00-non-reconditioned-kegs-257368/

Terry (the vendor) mentioned that he hopes to have more in "about a month" which would be around September 10th. I picked these up in person while visiting family in Pittsburgh. While I've cleaned all 5, I have only pressure checked 3 and so far so good (I am replacing the o-rings "just because").

I also found this company on ebay selling pin-lock kegs (used) for $20 (the listing now says $22 or make an offer). This is a distributor in Florida (Winter Park area?). I did email them and they said would do bulk sales, but looking at their site they mention multiple pallets (300 min), so I don't know what they would be willing to do on a smaller order. (I also decided I wanted to get ball-lock since the two kegs I already had are ball-lock.)

Again, it was great to meet you. The next time I will have to order more since I had some room left in my car. :)

Thanks for this - I would jump all over $20 kegs if we could find them at that price. The ebay vendor I found basically just told me they would lower their price from 47.50 to 45.50 shipped for 10 kegs... not a deal at all. So back to the drawing board! If anyone has a hook up let us know.

Interest so far:
Cidahmastah: 4-6
Rustbucket: 2-3
Danschuller: 2-3
twogunz: 2

(those are just ball parks and nobody is obligated to anything - this is a discussion for interest, not an offer to buy)

Cornykeg.com has converted pin locks made into ball locks for $37.5 after shipping if you get a 4 pack.

my only issue is - I can't fit 4 kegs in my keezer if I go with the pin locks. They are a little fatter and shorter. Keg connections has the pin lock for 34.95 + 7.99 flat shipping. So if you got 4 that is about 36.95 after shipping. They also come with new seals if I remember right

Cidah would friday during the day sometime work?

When will you be around? I have work, not sure I will be taking a half day at this point. However - if you wanted to meet me in east Syracuse I could bring the grain in my truck and pass it off to you during the day.

I believe this is all I have left for pick up (don't have my sheet with me so let me know if there is a correction):

Bierhaus15 CM-2ROW 1
Bierhaus15 TF-GPRM 1
Bierhaus15 TF-MOPA 1
Bierhaus15 BD-VIEN 0.334
Bierhaus15 BD-MUNH 0.334
jhenderson27 GP-FLOAT 0.334
jhenderson27 BD-MUNH 0.334
gerglegat CM-2ROW 2 - PICKING UP Jhenderson's Keg
gerglegat CM-SPIL 1
rustbucket FB-PALE 1

Great deal on a larger kettle:

Not sure if anyone is looking, but I just found a great deal on a 102qt kettle. It is the bayou classic 102qt 18.25W x 21H 18guage 304 Stainless. Blichmann is 18g so this is basically a mock up of the blickmann pot and very similar dimensions. It was $208 shipped!!

Wholesalestockroom.com or here for the exact location

Just thought I would share it for those looking to upgrade in pot size.

damn... only if i need one right now.. i just a keggle for my kettle... im still with the 5.5 gallon recipes.. and moving up to (1) 11 gal recipe for me and buddy to split.

Ill be picking my stuff up sometime soon... ill let you know... as for the D2 how would you want to go about doing that... Me bring a container?

damn... only if i need one right now.. i just a keggle for my kettle... im still with the 5.5 gallon recipes.. and moving up to (1) 11 gal recipe for me and buddy to split.

Ill be picking my stuff up sometime soon... ill let you know... as for the D2 how would you want to go about doing that... Me bring a container?

Let me know when you are ready - I have ziplocks for the D2!

I am psyched about the pot... but of course that means more $$. At least I am not on the hook for the price of the pot - my brew partner is. I have to do the electric setup for it ;)

I am going to install it with the same element as the one I have (5500w). I am thinking that it will do at most, 15-20G with that same element and an insulated pot. Right now it jumps out of the pot on a 14G boil, so i am sure I could bump up to a 15G batch, though I doubt I would do many of those. IMO 10G is the perfect mix between labor and outcome.

I really want the pot so I can have some more boil over protection. Right now on my 90min boil batches it is way too close for my liking ;)

so i picked just about an oz of cascades that looked ripe to me.. the luphalin was really golden.. and the smelled good... there is another 4-8oz on each bine...

my chinook are no where near harvest time.. they prob have 2-3 more weeks

ill get some photos up in a bit

This is the cascade harvest... let me know what you think.. they feel papery to me... smell really strong.. golden lupulin..

imgp44241.jpg

imgp44261.jpg

the rest of the cascade on teh bine, might be hard to see, i tried to use white paper to compare...

imgp44311.jpg

MY chinook which have a while to go.. i think they are really green compared to the cascades.
imgp44331.jpg

imgp44341.jpg

Cascades look pretty good, you should be fine to dry them. I agree about the Chinook. Looks like they could use a week or two.

ok.. sounds good... whats on the bine im goign to give few more days the lupulin is still more of a yellow color and the dryness is not there...

Cool! Mine are getting close too. I think I am going to get the old food dehydrator out if I still have it. I might do the chinook this weekend, and get a latter to check on the cascade, which seem to still be a little green. They both smell great thought and the cascade have some sticky lupulin (haven't checked the chinook).

Kegs - Hey guys, I am coming up dry with sourcing these - if you have any ideas kick them over. Since I only need 2, I don't mind dropping $100 for 2 at some point, but man it would be sweet to get 3 or 4 for the same price!

http://poconos.craigslist.org/for/2488350476.html

I did see these of course... but that is a bit of a drive and have no other reason to head to Cooperstown, PA to check them out. With the most reason grain buy, my wife would kill me if I jumped into my truck and went to PA this weekend haha.

If we were top buy the lot of 25 kegs we would probably get them for 20 a keg or so. However there would be travel costs associated. Say maybe $200 in gas/ tolls would add $8 to each keg beyond what he would sell the lot for. Even at that price they are probably a good deal (maybe $28-$30 a piece). They probably all need new seals and we would need to commit to all 25 before doing it.

Left for grain pick up:

jhenderson27 GP-FLOAT 0.334
jhenderson27 BD-MUNH 0.334
gerglegat CM-2ROW 2 - PICKING UP Jhenderson's Keg
gerglegat CM-SPIL 1
rustbucket FB-PALE 1

Jhenderson - were you still on for pick up sometime Friday afternoon? I work in East Syracuse, so if you were taking the 90 over then it would be easy to jump off and I could meet you somewhere. I take it the hops aren't ready yet?

If you're gonna drop 50 on a keg, I just got some from kegglebrewing.com that are in great condition and polished. The finish is pretty nice, still some minor marking but really pretty good and you don't have to bust your balls cleaning stickers and soot

If you're gonna drop 50 on a keg, I just got some from kegglebrewing.com that are in great condition and polished. The finish is pretty nice, still some minor marking but really pretty good and you don't have to bust your balls cleaning stickers and soot

Yeah I saw those bad boys. Truthfully, I will probably hold off as long as I can. Cider is what really makes me need those kegs, and my buddy not picking his stuff up!

jhenderson - no sweat - let me know when you are looking to pick up and we can work it out. No problem for me to hold it for you.

Also - just sewed up a hop stopper last night for the new BK. Looks pretty cool. Any of you guys use these before? Pretty reasonable price wise, about 20$ in parts, and they sell them for $60. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/boil-kettle?page=3

Of course I just sewed mine up in a square because the material comes in 12*24 inches. I doubt if it the shape will be significant enough to stop the whirl pool benefits.

Just a little pic. Of course this isn't the actual copper diptube I will use. I am waiting on the pot (Mon delivery) and then I can install the ball valve. Once I do that I will have the measurements for making my copper diptube.

Mesh screen: 85385T719 ($10.47)
Stainless steel wire: 8860K11 ($8.73)

downsize.jpg

Rust - sure - what time are you thinking. I should be home no later than 5:15pm. Already have the D2 set aside.

Also: I posted the P/N for the mcmaster carr items if anyone is interested. Hopefully the sucker works as good as everyone says!

Sounds good. If you can, squeeze for earlier - I am supposed to meet up with family tonight that are cruising into town.

i will defiantly try too.. then... ill try and get up there before or around 6 then...

and i will be bringing one of my SSA for you to try....

i will defiantly try too.. then... ill try and get up there before or around 6 then...

and i will be bringing one of my SSA for you to try....

Cool! Will see you then. Maybe I will use this as an excuse to start looking at how I want to create my fermentation chamber in the garage. Just got my controller all set up so that project is coming along too. The deal on the pot was too good to pass up... but I hadn't intended to get that for a while. Good times!

yeah, if i had my own home i would be building a fermentation chamber! but right now... my stuff is already pissing my mother off with how much room its taking up.. haha. if i had the money right now i would start looking into a fermentation chamber

my next thing is to build a grain cart... that holds all the specialty grains and what not in mason jars and in bins, plus a housing to mount my crusher so its more stable than just sitting on a bucket. i have some of the drawers built, that have dividers to hold 12 qt size mason jars that hold lb of specialty grain at once.

btw we need to talk about some cider and the process tonight!

Also - just sewed up a hop stopper last night for the new BK. Looks pretty cool. Any of you guys use these before? Pretty reasonable price wise, about 20$ in parts, and they sell them for $60. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/boil-kettle?page=3

Of course I just sewed mine up in a square because the material comes in 12*24 inches. I doubt if it the shape will be significant enough to stop the whirl pool benefits.

I just made one of those hop screens (although with smaller mesh), and it worked great.

In the past, I had always chilled, then let the break/hops settle, then siphoned. The screen makes it much easier, although I need to work on sealing it around the dip tube, there was a small amount of leakage -- I like your hose clamp.

I just made one of those hop screens (although with smaller mesh), and it worked great.

In the past, I had always chilled, then let the break/hops settle, then siphoned. The screen makes it much easier, although I need to work on sealing it around the dip tube, there was a small amount of leakage -- I like your hose clamp.

very cool. I went with a larger screen because I ahve an IC, so I am hoping the cold break doesn't clog me up. Who knows

oh by the way - my neighbor just told me he has an elderberry bush - just grabbed 16lbs of the berries and looks like we are making another wone for the lady!

very cool. Fruit wines are nature's best kept secret

so... i went out and checked my hops, one of the bines was for the most part done.. so i picked all the hops off the bine pretty much just short of a few.. the others here and there until the mosquito's got to me... i filled two bowls worth.. 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon bowls.

Latest posts

Back