SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 4 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like 10 seals for myself please. I'll take 100ft of the 5181K42 too.

Holy geez that place has a lot of stuff.

hey man,

Just was reading this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer-line-tests-solution-plastic-taste-60380/

and then saw this...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/group-buy-accuflex-bev-seal-ultra-barrier-line-257625/

I am going to get in on this beer line buy - supposed to be better. We will see if we can get this to fly.

GUYS CHECK THIS BEER LINE OUT

OK Cool I put in my request as well

ok I will pull your beer line from the mcmaster order.

Here is the order:

9396K24 1 100 $2.21 $2.21
9452K23 1 100 $10.71 $10.71
90025K368 1 100 $5.83 $5.83
9452K218 2 20 $12.69 $25.38
9396K18 1 100 $6.11 $6.11

74695A58 12 12 $1.03 12.36

Green = splitting them

Cidahmastah = $37.48 + shipping
Scottishpete = $25.12 + shipping

give me the thumbs up and I will pull the trigger

Depending on how long this goes I may be able to get in on it. I hope it last another couple weeks.

sent the order out - don't know shipping yet but it should be under 10 bucks. Will let you know when I know. If you want to arrange pick up earlier than the buy we can figure something out.

Clef - as you can see we need some hungry grain buyers this round. Even I am not buying that much for once!

Hi folks
I'm a new home brewer, just completed my first attempt (California Commons extract kit) a few weeks ago (went from primary direct to keg). [Actually, I brewed once before way back in 1990 or so.] Anyway, I can tell already that I would like to brew from Scratch, i.e. All Grain, probably using one of the more simplified batch sparge methods mentioned in HB. So, I am up for purchasing some bulk grains.

I was thinking of going in for:
CM-2ROW x 2

I'm not that concerned about medium-term storage, as I plan on putting these in food grade containers with Gamma-Seal lids (which are awesome) and tossing in a couple of oxygen absorbers. (I'm assuming that barley can keep like other grains as long as you keep moisture and oxygen away from it.)

I might also be interested in a couple of splits, but since I am new at this would appreciated suggestions as to what might be useful. In general, I like hoppy pale ales and IPA's. I will drink other stuff but am not that crazy about porters, stouts, Scottish Ale, etc.

I live in the Albany area and would consider car-pooling, but am also ok with a drive to Syracuse as I have folks to visit while there.

Thanks, and suggestions are very very welcome.

sounds good, i had my dennys rye the last couple nights.. i can not get enough of it.... that is so good... (recommend to anyone that likes hop flavor) def a rebrew.. only if it was less alc i would drink more of it!

sounds good, i had my dennys rye the last couple nights.. i can not get enough of it.... that is so good... (recommend to anyone that likes hop flavor) def a rebrew.. only if it was less alc i would drink more of it!

Ha - I told you the denny brew was right on ;)

Hi folks
I'm a new home brewer, just completed my first attempt (California Commons extract kit) a few weeks ago (went from primary direct to keg). [Actually, I brewed once before way back in 1990 or so.] Anyway, I can tell already that I would like to brew from Scratch, i.e. All Grain, probably using one of the more simplified batch sparge methods mentioned in HB. So, I am up for purchasing some bulk grains.

I was thinking of going in for:
CM-2ROW x 2

I'm not that concerned about medium-term storage, as I plan on putting these in food grade containers with Gamma-Seal lids (which are awesome) and tossing in a couple of oxygen absorbers. (I'm assuming that barley can keep like other grains as long as you keep moisture and oxygen away from it.)

I might also be interested in a couple of splits, but since I am new at this would appreciated suggestions as to what might be useful. In general, I like hoppy pale ales and IPA's. I will drink other stuff but am not that crazy about porters, stouts, Scottish Ale, etc.

I live in the Albany area and would consider car-pooling, but am also ok with a drive to Syracuse as I have folks to visit while there.

Thanks, and suggestions are very very welcome.

Yuo are going to love the AG game - everyone here who has tried it out has gotten hooked - it isn't that much more work than extract.

I would recc batch sparging for sure and grabbing a mill of course. I use a victoria (corona) with great results.

I would look on getting into some of the crystal malt splits (C10, C20, C40, C60, C80) since you like the IPAs. Check some AG recipe you want to brew and see what keeps showing up.

CidahMastah said:
sent the order out - don't know shipping yet but it should be under 10 bucks. Will let you know when I know. If you want to arrange pick up earlier than the buy we can figure something out.

Clef - as you can see we need some hungry grain buyers this round. Even I am not buying that much for once!

I'm in the process of moving and trying to get the house ready. It's kind of eating up funds and time at the moment. Otherwise I would be all over it.

Cidah, call this a wrap or leave it open. There just doesnt seem to be enough interest currently.

Well what are people thinking?

We could:

1. Leave it open and when the order fills we send it
2. Close the order and try again in a few months

The downside to choice one is,... people might fall asleep on their payment responsibilities (order closes and people have changed their mind, don't check HBT that often, etc.)

What do you gents think?

If we go for choice #2 my suggestion would be to hold off any bulk orders until at least September.

I have a surplus as well... but I won't be selling it! haha

Just pulled some stuff out of the bins on my last brew to check on dryness etc - whatever I am doing to store it is going well - dry no moisture. This stuff will last forever like this.

Remember guys - you might want to bulk up on grain a little bit. Some really cool brews that are Very well suited for winter can be started now. Beligan Quads, Barley wines, Porters, Stouts, specialty brews (pumpkin ale), etc.

just sayin' speak now if you really want to make this happen. We are halfway there!

Hey Rust -

Just tried my 3 week old sam adams summer ale version - similar to yours. I gotta say that I think this is my favorite wheat that I have brewed so far. The lemon really comes through and bumping the grains of paradise up was a good recc. I think it is probably in peak, but man this stuff is really good. I would say of my wheats it goes this, blood orange hefe and ed worts hefe.

My version was:

10lbs pils
7 lbs wheat malt
2lbs flaked wheat
1lbs carapils

tett 89g 4.7% aa (60)
hallertau hers 40g 3% (5)
tett 60g 4.7% (5)
2oz lemon zest (15min)
4g grains of paradise (5)

WLP 051
152F mash

In effort to kick this up, I will close out my splits. I might even add a bag of base malt of some sort, but I will see how people respond first.

I also added a split:
FB-CAMB (Biscuit or Victory Malt) - 1/4 (Cidahmastah) - Needs 3

This is a non briess version of "biscuit malt" or "victory malt". Lots of winter imperial stouts, stouts, porters etc. use these malts. Hell even imperial Pales call for it as well as belgian quads.

cidah, could you post your recipe just to see to compare it to mine? im curious when you added teh grains and zest... plus the rest of it

What's the problem with leaving the group buy open for a few more weeks, or even another month?! There are people on my side looking to buy (probably another 10 sacks or so) but need some time to think it over and wait until they got cash to burn - ya know, married with young kids type of people. I should be getting a count here in a few weeks.

cidah, could you post your recipe just to see to compare it to mine? im curious when you added teh grains and zest... plus the rest of it

My version was (11G batch @ 75% efficiency; 1.051 OG; 29.4 IBUs) - truthfully I didn't take a gravity reading, I alwaus hit my numbers at 76-78% so I just leave it at 75% and end up a couple points high:

10lbs pils
7 lbs wheat malt
2lbs flaked wheat
1lbs carapils

tett 89g 4.7% aa (60min) - 24.7IBU
2oz lemon zest (15min)
hallertau hers 40g 3% (5min) - 1.4IBU
tett 60g 4.7% (5min) - 3.3IBU
4g grains of paradise (5min)

WLP 051
152F mash

Rust your hops schedule was:
Rust Hop Schedule
42g tettnang 4.1% at 60
14g tettnang 4.1% at 10
1oz lemon zest (fresh) at 5min
2 grams grains of paradise at 5 min (fresh crushed or ground)

The rest of the grain bill was pretty similar

I also did something different than zesting for the lemon and I think this gave a way better result (and more repeatable consistency since it it by weight) - I will be trying this on the blood orange hefe and witbiers in the future.

Have you ever candied lemon peels? Well basically you take a knife and peel the outside of the lemon, but only a very thin part of the peel with no pith on it (if you get some pith you can lay it falt with pith up and fillet the pith off like you would fillet a salmon). Instead of zesting I did that and weighed it out. The lemon flavor is very fresh and noticable competing with the wheat flavor of the beer giving it a crispness - it really works well. A little spice from the grains as an aftertaste. Before I was zesting, but I think this gave me less reliable amounts of the peel, and some pith.

This is how I remember sams summer ale tasting off the taps from bars - So I am really happy with it. It was hot in the house last night, and this stuff really hit the spot.

What's the problem with leaving the group buy open for a few more weeks, or even another month?! There are people on my side looking to buy (probably another 10 sacks or so) but need some time to think it over and wait until they got cash to burn - ya know, married with young kids type of people. I should be getting a count here in a few weeks.

Ok here is my thought...

Let's leave it open until it fills. For people who are not sure they want to wait this out, please withdraw your order within the next week. I know the order will get filled eventually, so hang in there if you want a kick arse price on grain.

I don't want to open the door for people dropping out like flies after this week. This will hurt the order and also send the wrong message about the commitment to the buy.

Bierhaus, get you buddies to place their orders! :) I am happy to hear we might have a good 10 bags or so coming along to help the effort. Let all your buddies know about the buy and encourage participation so we can get this one out, especially for the new participants.

So either stick to your guns, or bow out gracefully by the end of this week. - post on this thread and I will update.

I'll go in on the victory/biscuit split (wouldn't mind making it a third either) and when I get some time this weekend to brew and plan out some recipes and future brew sessions I'm pretty certain I'll grab a few bags and some splits. I need to make sure I get what I'm going to be using most.

Sorry I've been dragging my feet... don't give up on me!

I'll go in on the victory/biscuit split (wouldn't mind making it a third either) and when I get some time this weekend to brew and plan out some recipes and future brew sessions I'm pretty certain I'll grab a few bags and some splits. I need to make sure I get what I'm going to be using most.

Sorry I've been dragging my feet... don't give up on me!

we will make it 1/3!

If you want to keep it at 1/4 I'll take the last one

Problem is that if we have to bump it down to 1/4, then we need two more people to close it out. If you could get another person you could split the remaining 1/3 (9lbs each).

For those considering this:
Biscuit malt is used in a ton of stouts porters browns and lots of other stuff (upcoming winter brews).

my bad, I misread and thought the split was originally at 1/4. Please put me down for the last 1/3 of FB-CAMB

my bad, I misread and thought the split was originally at 1/4. Please put me down for the last 1/3 of FB-CAMB

No sweat - it was originally at 1/4, but it put it there because I thought people wanted 1/4. I always want 1/3 - Point being, even it it takes me a year to clear it, it will still be good to use. If I buy too little, and run out I will get raped at the LHBS for 2-3x the cost.

I will put you down, but feel free to farm out the split if you want.

22 bags!

Whats the aromatic malt good for?

It gives a malty flavor and almost overly pronounced malty aroma.

briess says: "intensely malty flavor in any beer"
Best maltz says: use in Dark lagers, german lagers, bocks.

used commonly in belgian styles, dubbels, and quads as well.

I have used it in my westy 12 quad (belgian quad) and an irish red ale.

Basically if you are a malt hound you could use it in anything from a lager to a brown to a porter or stout. I found with the red ale, it gave it some depth.

EDIT:

another description:
Aromatic (Mildly Kilned) 26 L
Used at rates of up to 10%, Aromatic malt will lend a distinct, almost exaggerated malt aroma and flavor to the finished Ales and Lagers. Aromatic malt also has a rich color and is high in diastatic power for aid in starch conversion. D/C Aromatic malt. As the name suggests, adds aromatics to a beer. At 25 Lovi, it is grouped in the upper end of the "Munich Malts" category. It shows conversion by itself, with a diastatic power of 29, as compared to D/C munich with a DP of 50 and Pils with a DP of 105. When using Aromatic malts, be sure to calculate the additional extract and color that will be added, since this malt contributes both.

I have also "heard" that it is very similar to using Melanoidin malt. Which if you haven't before, is a malt a lot of people use to up malty character in brews, in particular lagers that they don't want to go to the trouble of decoction with.

Yuo are going to love the AG game - everyone here who has tried it out has gotten hooked - it isn't that much more work than extract.

I would recc batch sparging for sure and grabbing a mill of course. I use a victoria (corona) with great results.

I would look on getting into some of the crystal malt splits (C10, C20, C40, C60, C80) since you like the IPAs. Check some AG recipe you want to brew and see what keeps showing up.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to help fill this order, so I would like:
CM-2ROW x2
I will also help to fill out some of the splits:
CM-SPIL - will take the other 1/2
BD-MUNH - will take 1/3 (leaves 1/3 remaining). I would also be willing to do 1/2 if jhenderson27 wants to up the amount to 1/2.
GW-C10 - will take 1/3 (leaves 1/3 remaining). Again, I would be willing to do 1/2 if kzhusker goes for 1/2. QUESTION: I don't see GW-C10 in the catalog, but do see GW-C15?
BZ-ARO - will do 1/4 (leaves 1/2 to be filled).

I would also be willing to go splits on one or two other crystal malts, e.g. c30/c40/c60 if others are interested.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to help fill this order, so I would like:
CM-2ROW x2
I will also help to fill out some of the splits:
CM-SPIL - will take the other 1/2
BD-MUNH - will take 1/3 (leaves 1/3 remaining). I would also be willing to do 1/2 if jhenderson27 wants to up the amount to 1/2.
GW-C10 - will take 1/3 (leaves 1/3 remaining). Again, I would be willing to do 1/2 if kzhusker goes for 1/2. QUESTION: I don't see GW-C10 in the catalog, but do see GW-C15?
BZ-ARO - will do 1/4 (leaves 1/2 to be filled).

I would also be willing to go splits on one or two other crystal malts, e.g. c30/c40/c60 if others are interested.

Awesome!

Just for the record, if you want me to post your C30/C40/C60 as splits I can do that. Just let me know which you are looking for. I would think that C40 and C60 will be used a lot. If I had to pick one of those and you like IPAs, maybe C60. But I make a couple IPAs with C40, so I like them both. Let me know the size split you want too (1/4, 1/3, etc.)

Jhenderson - are you interested in upping to 1/2 for the bag of munich?

kzhusker - are you interested in upping to 1/2 for the bag of C10?

QUESTION: I don't see GW-C10 in the catalog, but do see GW-C15?
Answer: I think they sent us C15 last time (difference is negligible)

Total count is 25 bags

Brand new all-grain brewer here... would love to get in on this group buy. I'd like:

CM-SPIL x 1
BD-MOPA x 1
and I would happily take the last 1/3 of the munich (BD-MUNH).

I live in the Ithaca area. I have room in my car for a few more bags if there is anyone else out there that wants to split the gas money.

I have your order in zeno27 - great to have you along. I posted you for the Ithaca area on post #2.

jhenderson - obviously no need to up your munich since it closed.

Keep 'em coming guys. Now we are tacking them on!
ORDER TOTAL = 28

Awesome!

Just for the record, if you want me to post your C30/C40/C60 as splits I can do that. Just let me know which you are looking for. I would think that C40 and C60 will be used a lot. If I had to pick one of those and you like IPAs, maybe C60. But I make a couple IPAs with C40, so I like them both. Let me know the size split you want too (1/4, 1/3, etc.)

Sounds good. Since I don't know what I am doing I am flexible! :mug:
So, C40 and C60, 1/3 each.

I can see myself giving a lot of beer away to friends after the order comes in!

Back