Sweeting and botteling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoSkillet

Reaction score
I am fixing to bottle my first batch of cider ever. One has peaches that was added to the secondary and the other is just apple juice. For botteling and sweeting do I just add my frozen juice concentrate and bottle or do I need to add priming sugar as well?

View attachment 1472349781538.jpg

I brew beer and so have never back sweetened my brew, but have seen many times on here that if you want to back sweeten your cider you have to pasteurize it or you will get gushers and bottle bombs. Someone correct me if I am wrong but it would go: Back sweeten, allow to prime, heat pasteurize. There is a good article on here with a video on how to pasteurize. Also no need for priming sugar if you are back sweetening since some of your juice will be used to prime. I have heard of people using a PET bottle to tell if their batch is primed. You can squeeze it to see if it has gotten hard.

Latest posts

Back