Swap-O-Rama #3, ANTI LOCAL!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever thought about doing a beer bomber lottery? . I have been throwing the idea around and I think it could work. I wanted some feedback tho from allyou seasoned traders. I was thinking get 20 people with 100+ posts and 3 month member. Winner takes all. So your stake would be 1 bomber. Any ideas?

Glad you're enjoying the wolf among the weeds. I wasn't a huge fan of golden roads original ipa but I have really been enjoying the wolf among the weeds and their whole series of custom ipas

Has anyone ever thought about doing a beer bomber lottery? . I have been throwing the idea around and I think it could work. I wanted some feedback tho from allyou seasoned traders. I was thinking get 20 people with 100+ posts and 3 month member. Winner takes all. So your stake would be 1 bomber. Any ideas?

This could be really cool. If you made the host inelligible, and rotated who hosted (example, winner hosts the next lottery), you may have to limit it to supporting members only though. Forum rules are that only supporting members can host a group swap.

Only problem with that is some have the same distro networks and you would most likely get duplicates, shipping 1 bottle a week could get costly but i guess that comes with any of these swaps.

Seems interesting, maybe have 10 people per round. Your chance is higher to win and your porch dont get destryoed with 19 packages. lol

I think the winner of previous round is the host of next round is a much if this is going to happen.

Cheers!

Only problem with that is some have the same distro networks and you would most likely get duplicates, shipping 1 bottle a week could get costly but i guess that comes with any of these swaps.

Seems interesting, maybe have 10 people per round. Your chance is higher to win and your porch dont get destryoed with 19 packages. lol

I think the winner of previous round is the host of next round is a much if this is going to happen.

Cheers!

No one says you would have to join every time. So its really as costly as you let it be. I do think once a week is a bit fast. Maybe twice a month or once a month.

I would suggest posting the thread and giving 1 or 2 days to join. However many you get, thats what is in. If it was just a once a month thing, it wouldnt be difficult to get 20 to 30 participants in my mind. Or, just set a date for the drawing, people join up until that date.

Make the host responsible for giving the full list of participants to the winner. The winner then needs to just check off when he or she recieves the bomber from each participant. Participants could put their hbt name in the box.

Also, duplicates would just have to be a potential part of things. I dont see a way to get around that without complicating an extremely simple beer lottery

Sounds fun. I would set a $ limit though, minimum $10 bomber or something like that so someone doesn't get mad if they join 3-4 in a row and lose and start sending cheap beer that isn't worth winning.

Sounds fun. I would set a $ limit though, minimum $10 bomber or something like that so someone doesn't get mad if they join 3-4 in a row and lose and start sending cheap beer that isn't worth winning.

Based on last rounds swaporama...I dont think dollar limits work as intended. Some bottles cost different amounts depending where you are. Ive seen people pay ten bucks for a beer that costs me $7...

Volume is where its at I think. Craft beer only.

Based on last rounds swaporama...I dont think dollar limits work as intended. Some bottles cost different amounts depending where you are. Ive seen people pay ten bucks for a beer that costs me $7...

Volume is where its at I think. Craft beer only.

For the big local swaps I agree, but for a lottery where you are only sending 1 bomber, I would just want to make sure people aren't being cheap. For the people who have participated before and done trades I wouldn't be worried, I know you and the rest of this gang will take care of everyone, but a newbie might get mad about losing and buy the absolute cheapest bomber they can find.

Also, duplicates would just have to be a potential part of things. I dont see a way to get around that without complicating an extremely simple beer lottery

I guess this depends on how or if you limit the style of the bomber being sent. For example if this round is imperial ipas more than $10, you could always stipulate that you list which ipa you will be sending as part of your entry. Complicates it a little, but might also be helpful for people to see what they have a chance at.

You might also limit it to 10 people and tie it to one of the current drawings that happen(ie assign numbers 0 to 9, whoever matches the last digit on powerball drawing on Sept 4th wins) Takes any concern away from how the drawing is done. Just a thought.

Im thinking these are all great ideas!! If someone was going to try and cheat the system and buy a cheap common bomber they would just be black listed and no longer eligible to enter. I think most guys on here want to get good beer and send even better beer. Once the winner is picked you would try to send something they can't get. Maybe if you share distribution send something more rare or one of your favorite special relaxed. I'm pretty sure everyone will be fair. I understand the problem with someone not winning and getting mad because its the 5th time doing it but. I bet it will develop relationships for trading as well
I do think 10 or 12 people is a good # 20 sounds a little hefty. I do want to get this rolling soon. Anyone know how to run it by a mod? Paying members only?

Im thinking these are all great ideas!! If someone was going to try and cheat the system and buy a cheap common bomber they would just be black listed and no longer eligible to enter. I think most guys on here want to get good beer and send even better beer. Once the winner is picked you would try to send something they can't get. Maybe if you share distribution send something more rare or one of your favorite special relaxed. I'm pretty sure everyone will be fair. I understand the problem with someone not winning and getting mad because its the 5th time doing it but. I bet it will develop relationships for trading as well
I do think 10 or 12 people is a good # 20 sounds a little hefty. I do want to get this rolling soon. Anyone know how to run it by a mod? Paying members only?

Just pm a mod with what you would like to do. They will let you know if they are ok with it.

I think that if there is 20 people, there should be 2-3 "winners", not just one...So like 1st place takes 10 bottles, 2nd 5 and 3rd 2xbottles or something like that.

Also, if someone gets mad that they never win and resorts to sending crappy beer then they have other problems...if ten people, you got a 10% chance of a win....thats not much. Odds are heavily against you haha

Also, if someone gets mad that they never win and resorts to sending crappy beer then they have other problems...if ten people, you got a 10% chance of a win....thats not much. Odds are heavily against you haha

You're right, I guess I am just cynical. I've been burned too many times in life, but not in the beer community, everyone is always overly generous. And at worst if one person cheaps out you get one mediocre bomber and that person doesn't get to participate anymore. You have won me over to the way of thinking that there doesn't need to be a dollar limit, trust in the good of beer traders!

Im thinking these are all great ideas!! If someone was going to try and cheat the system and buy a cheap common bomber they would just be black listed and no longer eligible to enter. I think most guys on here want to get good beer and send even better beer.QUOTE]

I have 4-5 local breweryes that bottle in bombers and they are some of the best/freshest beer in my area....because a bomber is 6$ that makes it ****ty???

Black listed!? This is HBT, the guy went out bought a bomber he liked (apparently not your standards) spent money on shipping supplies took time out of this day and then payed MORE to ship it across the country, and because its "cheap" beer (that you cant get i might add) you want them blacklisted from participating?

Johnnyhitch just hit on the other reason dollar amount doesnt work. Its subjective.
I said it before, volume limit is the way to go. Its free beer, after all...

I'm not sure the lotto system would work. If theres a winner each month and theres 20 guys, this goes on for almost two years. Are all 20 participants going to be actively swapping in 20 months? Probably not. Also, theres going to probably be times where not everyone is able to participate, for whatever reason. So someone isn't going to get the right amount of beer on those rounds.

The swap o rama style works fine. Everyone GETS 200 oz and everyone SENDS 200 oz. You dont wanna participate, sit a round out, no problem.

Thats just the way I see it.

I'm not sure the lotto system would work. If theres a winner each month and theres 20 guys, this goes on for almost two years. Are all 20 participants going to be actively swapping in 20 months? Probably not. Also, theres going to probably be times where not everyone is able to participate, for whatever reason. So someone isn't going to get the right amount of beer on those rounds.

The swap o rama style works fine. Everyone GETS 200 oz and everyone SENDS 200 oz. You dont wanna participate, sit a round out, no problem.

Thats just the way I see it.

I think the intention is just to win some free beer, and your entry fee if you wanted to join, would be to send a bomber to the winner. Not necessarily the same people every round.

For example, you could play ten times and never win. Or you could play twenty time and never win...conversely you could win five times.

I have 4-5 local breweryes that bottle in bombers and they are some of the best/freshest beer in my area....because a bomber is 6$ that makes it ****ty???

Black listed!? This is HBT, the guy went out bought a bomber he liked (apparently not your standards) spent money on shipping supplies took time out of this day and then payed MORE to ship it across the country, and because its "cheap" beer (that you cant get i might add) you want them blacklisted from participating?

Slow up, I was being cynical and predicting someone getting upset and PURPOSEFULLY sending the cheapest thing they could find, not because it was great local beer, because it was cheap. The lotto he is describing isn't a local swap, just a fun beer lotto. I recanted right before you posted stating the beer community is generous and I agree a $ limit didn't need to be imposed. I am on your side that good beer is good beer regardless of price.

Slow up, I was being cynical and predicting someone getting upset and PURPOSEFULLY sending the cheapest thing they could find, not because it was great local beer, because it was cheap. The lotto he is describing isn't a local swap, just a fun beer lotto. I recanted right before you posted stating the beer community is generous and I agree a $ limit didn't need to be imposed. I am on your side that good beer is good beer regardless of price.

Exactly. . . :) either way you will be getting free beer. Its supposed to be for fun. Just throwing some ideas around. Sorry to invade your thread. Just an idea I had. I think it will work everyone I have dealt with on here is more than generous :mug:

I think the intention is just to win some free beer, and your entry fee if you wanted to join, would be to send a bomber to the winner. Not necessarily the same people every round.

For example, you could play ten times and never win. Or you could play twenty time and never win...conversely you could win five times.

Ahh ok. Thought it was gonna be a revolving thing where everyone woumd eventually win. I like the idea. Has the thread been started.....did i win......who do i send my beer to?

Ahh ok. Thought it was gonna be a revolving thing where everyone woumd eventually win. I like the idea. Has the thread been started.....did i win......who do i send my beer to?

We subscribed you, you lost, send me jolly pumpkin sours :)

Thinking about getting it started soon. Ill let you know LOL. ..need to get some things on paper first. I'm thinking maybe getting it going on Wed ..I have never hosted anything like this. I think it will be a good addition to the trade family. :mug: cheers! !

Us Midwest folks all must not be to far from each other, we should do a meet up sometime.

If you are bringing more of that same good beer you sent me.....I might make the drive, lol. Thanks again, had 2 of the Short's Brew last night, very solid. Holding off on the rest of what you sent for a tasting party later in the week. Cheers again!

Thinking about getting it started soon. Ill let you know LOL. ..need to get some things on paper first. I'm thinking maybe getting it going on Wed ..I have never hosted anything like this. I think it will be a good addition to the trade family. :mug: cheers! !

Please keep in mind the forum rules, and that all organized HBT swaps must be coordinated by a premium supporter or a moderator. Before your swap is approved, you'll have to let us know the details for approval. Please do this before promising a swap across the forum.

Please keep in mind the forum rules, and that all organized HBT swaps must be coordinated by a premium supporter or a moderator. Before your swap is approved, you'll have to let us know the details for approval. Please do this before promising a swap across the forum.

Most definitely. :D thank you.

Just had an idea for a future trade. It may have to be limited or have multiple groups, but each person would pick their favorite local beer or two and send it to all other participants. If groups were 6-10 you would wind up with 6-10 of the best beers from around the country.

I like this idea for a trade. Some really smart, handsome, amazing brewer posted it a while back. Okay, it was me :fro:, but it was so long ago I thought I would throw it out again now that things are winding down. Shipping would be a bit much, but so was shipping 25-30 LBS of beer.

I'm probably well under the requirement to get in on random trades but would love to throw my hat in.

Start posting, answer questions in the newbie threads, go talk in the random post threads, reply and thank me for these suggestions, every little reply counts :)

Latest posts

Back