Summer Citra Wheat (lemon!!!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would go with Citra at the end. I did one batch like J's and another last year with sweat orange peal and lemon peal with just citra hops. i have to say it was gone faster then it fermented! everyone that had it kept comparing it to something like a bluemoon but with no need to add anything. To me if you need to add fruit to your brew (especially a home brew) then you have some work to do. this beer needed nothing, prefect for anytime and kick ass for the summer. came in between 5.5 - 6%, with real flavor not bluemoon subpar-E-ness.... this year i will be using a LOT more citra in my beers!

I see that you added the lemon and Orange at flame out, do you normally fillter out all your hops and the peel or should I let all of this go into primary as well?

Noob question--in general, does "wheat" in most recipes on HBT refer to "white wheat malt" in beersmith?

Building my recipe list before diving in.

Thanks, and looks like a great beer!

I assume that most recipes that call for "wheat" mean malted wheat, which is usually of the white variety.

Is this correct in your recipe J?

I see that you added the lemon and Orange at flame out, do you normally fillter out all your hops and the peel or should I let all of this go into primary as well?
Nah I use a 15" hinged false bottom http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/product136.html in my boil kettle and it filters out all that stuff for me.

I assume that most recipes that call for "wheat" mean malted wheat, which is usually of the white variety.

Is this correct in your recipe J?
Yep, I use malted white wheat
Cheers
Jay

Ok great, I do the same thing, I just wasn't sure if I needed to let the peel go into primary to pick up more flavors

Hi Jay, thanks for the awesome recipe. I am thinking about scaling this down to either a 5.5 or an 8 gallon batch. Any thoughts on the amount of dried lemon peel and sweet orange? Should they stay the same perhaps? I am also wondering about the hops. I have BrewSmith, but am not sure I trust its scaling capabilities. Thanks!

Hi Jay, thanks for the awesome recipe. I am thinking about scaling this down to either a 5.5 or an 8 gallon batch. Any thoughts on the amount of dried lemon peel and sweet orange? Should they stay the same perhaps? I am also wondering about the hops. I have BrewSmith, but am not sure I trust its scaling capabilities. Thanks!

If your going to do 5.5 I think I would just cut it in half. @ 8 gallon I might just leave it as is, if you want a little more kick from the peels. I have customers that brew this over and over and over and they have been slowly kicking up the peel additions. I think the last batch I put together was a 10 gallon batch and used 1.5 oz of each and they are hitting it at 5 min. Now I didn't get to try that one as they drank it all one night at a family picnic ;)
Cheers
Jay

If your going to do 5.5 I think I would just cut it in half. @ 8 gallon I might just leave it as is, if you want a little more kick from the peels. I have customers that brew this over and over and over and they have been slowly kicking up the peel additions. I think the last batch I put together was a 10 gallon batch and used 1.5 oz of each and they are hitting it at 5 min. Now I didn't get to try that one as they drank it all one night at a family picnic ;)
Cheers
Jay

Great, thanks a lot! That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. BrewSmith tells me that for a 5.5 gallon batch I should use .22oz Citra @ 60mins, .22oz Sorachi @15mins, and .67oz Sorachi @ 5mins. Obviously I will round those numbers a bit, but I was wondering what you thought about that amount of hops.

As an aside, I am thinking of making two batches of this, one normal and one with the addition of 2oz of either Chamomile or Earl Grey tea at flame out and maybe a pound of honey to make a Lemon Tea Summer Ale. Thoughts?

Why would anyone use Citra for a 60 min addition. Why, God?! Why?!

I used Citra as a FWH in a Zombie Dust clone and it turned out fantastic. Not sure the difference in Citra as FWH and a 60 minute addition is cause I've never used it outside of Zombie clones.

theveganbrewer said:
I used Citra as a FWH in a Zombie Dust clone and it turned out fantastic. Not sure the difference in Citra as FWH and a 60 minute addition is cause I've never used it outside of Zombie clones.

Must be a good recipe ;)

I use Citra as FWH for the same reason I use Simcoe the same.....it is a great hop and I have a lot of it. FWH does provide more of the flavor/aroma that a 60 min addition does not though.

As far as this thread goes, I did a wheat/rye ipa last summer that used Citra/sorachi and I think those 2 with Amarillo for dryhop. I like the combo. May have to do something like this.... soon. I imagine it would go over well, especially with the non hopheads. What were your ibus? I may do around 25 or so. Would you keep the mash temp the same, or try to dry it out some more?

If you boil a hop for over 30 min, all the flavor and aroma compounds will be driven off. Given how difficult it is to get Simcoe and Citra, it makes my heart die a little every time someone uses it as a bittering hop where Centennial would have provided the same effect.

Also, the FWH itself provides no aroma whatsoever, any chemicals volatile enough to be detected by smell after the beer is finished would be boiled off. It does affect the hop aroma of the beer by altering the ph. The reason its suggested that the brewer uses an aroma hop for the FWH addition is because those hops typically have lower AA%'s and are thus easier to control. You could substitute Cascade for Citra as the FWH and the only change that would be significant would be the change in PH, which is easily measured and adjusted to the Citra FWH levels.

I hate to be Chicken Little screaming the sky is falling but Citra and Simcoe will run out this summer and we're all going to wish we had used them more efficiently. I am a bit of a Citra zealot, however, so you may not agree. My lawyer is drawing up the papers as we speak for me to marry Citra.

I brewed a Summer Wheat last week similar to this. I've never used Citra before, so I'm real curious about what I'm going to end up with. Maybe some of you Citra experts can weigh in...

5G batch
6 lb wheat
4 lb 2 row
.5 lb flaked wheat
.5 oz citra 60 min
.25 oz Citra 30 min
.25 oz. Citra 1 min
zest and juice of 4 sweet oranges at FO
.5 oz Citra dry hop after 7 days (currently in it's 3rd day of dry hopping).

OG 1.050
IBU 31.7
SRM 3.6
Looking for an FG 1.010-1.013
WLP 320 American Wheat held to 62*-64*

If you boil a hop for over 30 min, all the flavor and aroma compounds will be driven off. Given how difficult it is to get Simcoe and Citra, it makes my heart die a little every time someone uses it as a bittering hop where Centennial would have provided the same effect.

Also, the FWH itself provides no aroma whatsoever, any chemicals volatile enough to be detected by smell after the beer is finished would be boiled off. It does affect the hop aroma of the beer by altering the ph. The reason its suggested that the brewer uses an aroma hop for the FWH addition is because those hops typically have lower AA%'s and are thus easier to control. You could substitute Cascade for Citra as the FWH and the only change that would be significant would be the change in PH, which is easily measured and adjusted to the Citra FWH levels.

I hate to be Chicken Little screaming the sky is falling but Citra and Simcoe will run out this summer and we're all going to wish we had used them more efficiently. I am a bit of a Citra zealot, however, so you may not agree. My lawyer is drawing up the papers as we speak for me to marry Citra.

I just got back from the freezer and found 2 extra bags of Citra. Pounds. :ban: Nikobrew Saturday's has Citra for 35/lb, this Saturday will be their last sale before they run out. Also, http://www.love2brew.com/Citra-Hop-Pellets-p/hp045.htm has then for 26 a pound.

I plan on brewing this recipe in a few weeks, and i have a few questions.
1. If i use pellet hops instead of whole what would the proper amount be.
2. If i do use whole hops, how much will be lost in absorption.
3. Hop subs for Citra for bittering.

4. The recipe says to mash THIN. most of the articles i've read say that mashing to thin or to thick can cause problems with the mash. just wondering what the benefit of mashing so thin.

I am going to try and brew this on Saturday. Citra isn't the problem for me at the moment; it's the stinking Sorachi Ace. That stuff is hard to find right now.

I was able to find some at Morebeer.com and hoping that shipment arrives before the weekend.

Brewed this exactly 3 weeks ago and drinking it tonight! And it’s ready!!
This has a KILLER lemon finish from the Sorachi Ace Hops and the cut lemon peel and orange @ flame out
This is for a 12 gallon batch All Grain
Mash Thin!

11# 2 row
11# wheat
1# C15L
1.5# rice hulls

Mash @ 152* for 60

I mashed in w/ 9.5 gallons (like I said thin) @ 164* to rest @ 152* for 60 Min

Citra .5 oz for 60
Sorachi Ace .5 oz for 15
Sorachi Ace 1.5 oz for 5

Add 1 oz cut dried lemon peel and 1 oz sweet orange peel @ flame out!

I used WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast fermented @ 66 and I am LOVING IT!!!

I love this beer. Best I've brewed in a looong time..OK OK OK only I've brewed in a loooooooong time!:D
Cheers
Jay

Hey Jay, Just wondering what your original IBU was...?

Just because you can't source Citra doesn't mean others not supposed to use it as a bittering addition if they have pounds laying around. It makes no difference to you what so ever if he just tossed in a garbage ounce or two for that matter. You not going to have more

You use Citra as a SMASHSA (single malt, single hop, single addition)beer next to a, ohh lets just say...Magnum, or EKG or Willamette SMASHSA same IBU beer.... You my friend will notice it. Or at least, I did ;) and do every time I brew them. I started with Amarillo, went to Cascade, on to Cent, Citra Columbus etc etc etc.
Jay

Brewed this exactly 3 weeks ago and drinking it tonight! And it’s ready!!
This has a KILLER lemon finish from the Sorachi Ace Hops and the cut lemon peel and orange @ flame out
This is for a 12 gallon batch All Grain
Mash Thin!

11# 2 row
11# wheat
1# C15L
1.5# rice hulls

Mash @ 152* for 60

I mashed in w/ 9.5 gallons (like I said thin) @ 164* to rest @ 152* for 60 Min

Citra .5 oz for 60
Sorachi Ace .5 oz for 15
Sorachi Ace 1.5 oz for 5

Add 1 oz cut dried lemon peel and 1 oz sweet orange peel @ flame out!

I used WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast fermented @ 66 and I am LOVING IT!!!

I love this beer. Best I've brewed in a looong time..OK OK OK only I've brewed in a loooooooong time!:D
Cheers
Jay

i plan on brewing this in the next couple of weeks, i have never used a german ale or kolsh yeast and was wondering what type of flavors that yeast has? i really don't like the clove, banana flavors of a hefe.

i'm excited about this, since the reason i usually don't drink wheats is due to the clove/banana/bubblegum flavours from the yeast

Hi everyone - So I have read (and at time re-read) this post. Regarding yeast strains, I don't think I have seen a reference to #3711 (French Saison), any thoughts on using this with the 5.5 gallon recipe?

I doubled up last time I was at the store, I was hoping to use that up. If no, no big deal and I can pick up the WLP029 or 1272.

Thanks,
Ryan

bottled this tuesday. boiled the priming sugar with the zest of one lemon (i went very light with the microplane so i wouldn't get any pitch) and let it steep while i bottled another batch

less than a week in the bottle and i popped open the last bottle (that got super oxidized)
i think i overdid it with the lemon zest
zest of one lemon for 3g batch is a bit too much fyi

Racked to secondary today, usually don't do secondary but i had the most vigorous fermantation ever, 5 gallon bucket at 68 degrees with wyeast american wheat and on the second day the air lock and the top and sides of the bucket covered in yeasty goo. smelled pretty good could pick up some lemon aroma. in primary for 10 days, secondary 10 days and then bottle. can't wait:rockin::ban::mug:

two weeks in the bottle, 24 hours in the fridge
this is AWESOME
a little hoppier than i expected, but i've finally found a wheat beer i enjoy!

Back