Pale Ale - Need Yeast Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Pale Ale on Saturday, but I'm not sure which yeast I want to use.

I have the following on hand:

Lalbrew East Coast
Lalbrew Voss Kveik
Safale S-33

Est. OG: 1.046
30 Minute Boil
Mash @ 152

8 lb 8 oz (77.3%) — Simpsons Pale Ale Golden Promise — Grain — 2.5 SRM
1 lb (9.1%) — Caramel/Crystal Malt — Grain — 60 SRM
1 lb (9.1%) — Briess Carapils — Grain — 1.3 SRM
8 oz (4.6%) — Biscuit Malt — Grain — 23 SRM

Hops (5 oz)

0.5 oz — Centennial — Boil — 30 min
0.5 oz
— Centennial — Boil — 10 min
0.5 oz
— Centennial — Boil — 5 min
0.5 oz
— Citra — Boil — 5 min
0.5 oz
— Centennial — Boil — 1 min
0.5 oz
— Citra — Boil — 1 min
1 oz
— Centennial — Dry Hop — 5 days
1 oz
— Citra — Dry Hop — 5 days

Using all ingredients i have on hand.

I have used both of the Lalbrew yeast before, East Coast - I didn't love it or hate it, Voss Kveik was fine, but I tend to save that for the summer months and don't need to fill the pipline that fast.

I have not used S-33 previously, just worried about only 70% attenuation on a low OG Beer.

Anyone have thoughts?

Sure. I'll just point out that the Brits make wonderfully full-bodied low-OG beers with no more than 5-10% crystal. And even that is often offset by the same amount of invert sugar. It's your beer, of course.

Definitely too much Crystal. Can you get your hands on US05? It's been my (and basically every other homebrewer) go-to cheat yeast for APAs. Easiest beer I make.

I use S33 often. S33 is an English yeast; it is the old Edme yeast. It is low in attenuation. It produces nice English style bitters and pales. I also use it in my stout and porter recipe. But you have American hops and a NEIPA type hop schedule. Use the East Coast yeast.

Definitely too much Crystal. Can you get your hands on US05? It's been my (and basically every other homebrewer) go-to cheat yeast for APAs. Easiest beer I make.

I mean I could. As stated earlier, I'm using what I have on hand.

I used my last US-05 on my last brew

From what I have read, S-33 is not necessarily Belgian. Kind of terrible wording on Safale's part on their packaging.
I've never used it, but I can't fathom why it would be listed as good for every Belgian style if it were non-phenolic. So..... it could be used for Belgian beers but it would make them taste like they are not Belgian... Got it.

I've never used it, but I can't fathom why it would be listed as good for every Belgian style if it were non-phenolic. So..... it could be used for Belgian beers but it would make them taste like they are not Belgian... Got it.

Genetically, it's a sibling to Muntons, and not too far from Windsor. So definitely an "English" strain. I don't know if it's POF positive or POF negative, but whatever it is, it's not POF "aggressive."

I've used S-33 for a pale ale with about the same OG you stated. It did fine, the beer tasted fine to me. Took a while to clear up so bottling was delayed a little longer.

Regardless, you won't have beer if you don't pick a yeast and brew. You'll know when it's finished whether you made a decent choice or not.

Fermentis says that S-33 is POF- but they also say it's ideal for Belgian Ales. Based on my own limited experience I have to disagree. Whatever fruity expression it might have had was swamped by the under-attenuation.

I only use S-33 as a bottling yeast when I have bulked conditioned a Barley wine for a few months.
It's cheap, has high alcohol tolerance and has low attenuation so will only ferment the priming sugar and not any of the malt sugar left behind by the primary yeast.

Back on topic - I would use Lalbrew East Coast for your recipe.
You could combine both if you want the English fruity esters from S-33 but with higher attenuation from the East Coast.
Some on here do that with Nottingam and windsor/verdant.
However the East Coast probably already has a fruity element to it.

Last edited:
I used S-33 a few weeks back when trying an east coast. I got the fruity notes although I missed the haze. Perhaps not enough oats. Nevertheless it was still a good flavor beer I'll try again in another batch later this summer.

I've only used Weyermann's Carapils, but isn't Briess Carapils just a dextrine malt? How much cara/crystal impact does it really have?
8 lb 8 oz (77.3%) — Simpsons Pale Ale Golden Promise — Grain — 2.5 SRM
1 lb (9.1%) — Caramel/Crystal Malt — Grain — 60 SRM
1 lb (9.1%) — Briess Carapils — Grain — 1.3 SRM
8 oz (4.6%) — Biscuit Malt — Grain — 23 SRM
I'd go with the East Coast (Lallemand New England?) and save the Voss for the summer. S-33 has worked well on porters and sweet/oatmeal stouts for me, where the lower attenuation and amount of time to clear aren't such a big deal.

I did go with the Lalbrew East Coast.

I have read that this yeast can be slow to takeoff. I pitched Saturday at noon, krausen by Sunday morning, full krausen and ripping yesterday morning.

Krausen completely dropped and beer cleared up by the time I got home last night. No real lag time on this one. I will let it sit until Saturday morning and start dry hopping.

Thank for all the suggestions.

Back