Sugar type / Kombucha nutritional value

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjekob

Reaction score
Is there much point in using something like Demerera cane sugar or
other types of sugar vs white sugar to get a healtier Kombucha ?

I have two fermentations ongoing -one with white sugar and the other with Demerara sugar - I understand that the Demerara contains some vitamins and minerals/nutrients (a large portion of which has been removed from the white sugar - I presume that the Demerara based Kombucha would retain these nutrients / higher nutritional value than the white sugar based Kombucha ? The difference may not be large but every bit counts.

If you flavor your kombucha with fresh fruit juice, etc., you're getting plenty of vitamins. Sugar just doesn't have a lot of vitamins; the scoby uses up most of the sugar, anyway. Tea is a healthy drink. I wish people would stop ascribing medicinal features to food. Just eat lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains and not a lot of fat and red meat; that's a healthy diet, but there are no miracle foods, and you can't escape your genes.

After some more "research", I could only conclude that the less refined sugar still contains minerals which white sugar does not.

Scientific hippie, as someone who has helped a family member battle cancer with nutrition/food, I just
have to comment about your statement about food so that others are not led astray. Food is medicine
and only a small percentage of health issues are gene related in the sense that one cannot alter the
situation. Your description of what to eat is neither precise nor correct - there is no mention of need for
organic food , nutritional value, importance of healthy fats, restriction on certain types of grains etc..
This is a controversial topic because we've been fed lies and false information - it is only now that
medicine is starting to recognize both the importance of nutrition and it's complexity (the reactions food
creates in the body are not simple as pharmaceutical substances are designed to do).

Vjekob,

Your comments are condescending and insulting. Where do you do your "research," Google University?
I'm leading people "astray"?
I don't claim to know everything (unlike you), but I have a medical degree and I read widely on many medical topics, including nutrition. If you follow the medical literature on nutrition, you will see that opinions change constantly. Your helping your family member is laudable, but it isn't data.

Both of you are mostly right.
How you eat obviously does impact your health. We just need to be very skeptical facing claims not backed by real scientific information (not stuff just using big words).

Back on topic...
Simply by looking at generic nutrition facts on molasses I see that unrefined sugar may have trace amounts of magnesium, calcium, iron, and vitamin B6.
Possibly some or all of that is consumed by the SCOBY microbes. In my opinion there's no justification for calling unrefined sugar healthier.

Cheers

I'm not the type whose intention is to be condescending and insulting but it would
be good to analyze one's text to see where the condenscending and insulting
words are - I could make quite a few comments about what is written above but I
will not - I'm here for kombucha. Everyone can find/believe what source of
information they like - I just saw it as my duty to state that today's most
advanced medicine is acknowledging food as medicine and the complexity of the
interaction in the body (there is a lot which we still don’t understand and which we
don’t even know how to test . There is both historical and scientific evidence for
this. You can also find it where you will find all the pharmaceutical backed (what
makes money) testing results. The problem with a relevant proportion of the
"scientific testing" is that it is backed by money ,is one dimensional/symptom
based , with tests and results which are skewed to sell the product but they don’t
cure anything but the money is made and illness continues to be the milking cow..
I’m not making this up (and Google University is not my source ,) ). – if you seek
the information you will find it coming from the most esteemed doctors This may
sound like blasphemy but when you have a serious illness in the house and your
eyes are opened to reality, it is a rude awakening to what is taken for granted about medicine. I will refrain from any further comments about health/nutrition.

Back