Is this kombucha still good to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onnaj

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just made a new batch of kombucha but it has a lot of residues on the bottom. It tastes also a bit different, but because I didn't have normal white sugar I've used brown sugar and I think that's making a huge difference in taste.

PH is now around 3.3 and temperature is 26 degrees Celsius.

The Scoby looks perfect and new scobies are there. The rest of the liquid looks very clean.

Do you think this is still perfect?

1000035362.jpg

1000035363.jpg
1000035364.jpg
1000035365.jpg
1000035361.jpg

Google searches seem to indicate that the molasses in brown sugar isn't going to immediately invalidate a batch. So no red-flags there.

If it still smells normal I'd go with it.

I sometimes get some sediment on the bottom of my kombucha although that's a fair but more than I'm used to.

Google searches seem to indicate that the molasses in brown sugar isn't going to immediately invalidate a batch. So no red-flags there.

If it still smells normal I'd go with it.

I sometimes get some sediment on the bottom of my kombucha although that's a fair but more than I'm used to.
Thanks! I remember I didn't have normal black tea so I used Pu Ehr tea instead together with green tea. I've read some say it'll tastes smokey and that's what I'm tasting. I'm not using that again!

Love me some Darjeeling -- I should use that :)

I'm boring and use basic brand "black tea" for my kombucha-ing.

I've tested it again today after another few days of fermenting and it's already better now.

Still prefer another type of (semi)black tea then Pu Ehr ;)

Before I've used Nilgiri Thiashola bio tea and that was also very very tasteful!
The Darjeeling was a tip from someone living menu l nearby

Back