Coopers DIY Beer Stout: Need your help, guys!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SipalayBrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First time brewer here, based in the Philippines.
I plan to start brewing with:

- Coopers DIY Beer Stout, 23l
- Lallemand LalBrew Voss Kviek Ale Yeast.
- Dextrose? Maltodextrin? Lactose? Brown Sugar? Muscovado?

Here are my questions:

1. Kveik is the only type of yeast that we can use here, considering the climate. How many grams do you guys recommend using for this recipe? I heard Kveik can develop strong orange esters under certain conditions. I don't mind a slight citrus/orange feel but it shouldn't be too strong for it doesn't really match the style of stout.

2. I know Coopers recommend using their brew enhancers as a substitute for sugar. Unfortunately, these products aren't available here, nor DME/LME. However, dextrose, lactose and maltodextrin are available. Regarding sugars, we have white, brown and muscovado sugar. Regarding this information, what sugar bill do you recommend? Ideally, I would like my stout to be dry (not sweet) with a good creamy body (lactose? maltodextrin?), roasted flavors and a caramel feel. But I'm not really sure how to achieve this.

3. Last question: what type of sugar (dextrose, white, brown, muscovado...) do you guys recommend using for priming? In which quantity? I will use 50cl glass bottles, if it helps.

Thank you so much for reading this message and a special thanks for all of you who will answer and try to help.

Cheers!

https://kasabesa.com/homebrew-supplies-in-the-philippines/
There seems to be a couple online homebrew stores, I found that list after a quick google search, with a little looking around you will probably be able to source some DME or DME based starter kits. And malts if you decide to stick with it and switch to all grain.

Regarding the yeast, lots of people who continue brewing often build a fermentation chamber of some sort, an old fridge with an external thermostat is the simplest way. This way you can control the temperature of the fermentation.
For sugar I personally use the darker more flavourful cane sugars in brewing, for priming you can use the white, refined cane varieties.

https://kasabesa.com/homebrew-supplies-in-the-philippines/
There seems to be a couple online homebrew stores, I found that list after a quick google search, with a little looking around you will probably be able to source some DME or DME based starter kits. And malts if you decide to stick with it and switch to all grain.

Regarding the yeast, lots of people who continue brewing often build a fermentation chamber of some sort, an old fridge with an external thermostat is the simplest way. This way you can control the temperature of the fermentation.
For sugar I personally use the darker more flavourful cane sugars in brewing, for priming you can use the white, refined cane varieties.
Thank you for your answer!

"Muscovado sugar is a type of partially refined to unrefined sugar with a strong molasses content and flavour, and dark brown in colour."

How many grams of it would you recommend using for fermentation?
Knowing I might use maltodextrin for body/foam as well.

Depends on batch size and your goal with it.
But I'd recommend looking on those online stores and maybe get a partial mash kit(DME with some flavour malts to steep) to start with and then start experimenting a little when you get a hang of the process.

Their Enhancer is 1 kilo, mostly light dme. I'd probably do 1.5# muscovado (because I like the molasses flavor in some dark beers), .5 # each dextrose and maltodextrin. Be aware that it may take several weeks for the molasses flavor to mellow after the beer is carbonated.

I use table sugar (beet or cane) for priming. 2/3 cup per 5 gallons of beer dissolved in 1.5 cups water, boiled 5 minutes.

Good luck!🍻🍻

hey ive done that kit over 50 times.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-original-stout-review.17817/
this is a 45 page thread from the sister site about that kit and favorite tweaks.

that kit comes out great with a pound of dme
half a pound of dark brown sugar
half pound of steeped chocolate malt
half pound of carapils
half pound of quaker outs
4 ounces of maltodextrine
no added hops needed its plenty bitter
to 5 gallons

yummy

chocolatey roasty goodness

cheers

Hello everyone,

First time brewer here, based in the Philippines.
I plan to start brewing with:

- Coopers DIY Beer Stout, 23l
- Lallemand LalBrew Voss Kviek Ale Yeast.
- Dextrose? Maltodextrin? Lactose? Brown Sugar? Muscovado?

Here are my questions:

1. Kveik is the only type of yeast that we can use here, considering the climate. How many grams do you guys recommend using for this recipe? I heard Kveik can develop strong orange esters under certain conditions. I don't mind a slight citrus/orange feel but it shouldn't be too strong for it doesn't really match the style of stout.

2. I know Coopers recommend using their brew enhancers as a substitute for sugar. Unfortunately, these products aren't available here, nor DME/LME. However, dextrose, lactose and maltodextrin are available. Regarding sugars, we have white, brown and muscovado sugar. Regarding this information, what sugar bill do you recommend? Ideally, I would like my stout to be dry (not sweet) with a good creamy body (lactose? maltodextrin?), roasted flavors and a caramel feel. But I'm not really sure how to achieve this.

3. Last question: what type of sugar (dextrose, white, brown, muscovado...) do you guys recommend using for priming? In which quantity? I will use 50cl glass bottles, if it helps.

Thank you so much for reading this message and a special thanks for all of you who will answer and try to help.

Cheers!
Gday! I brew stout with kveik allllllllll the time mate!! Ok ...so you can get the 1.7kg Coopers stout tins , but you say you cant get any of the coopers brew enhancers ( in a 1kg box) or any dry malt extract powder? Really...where do u get the tins then?

Anyway simplest straight ans8wer:
T O U C A N !
The 2-can stout is the real deal mate. You can use nothing but 2 cans of the stout and 500g of ordinary white table sugar. You will finish approx 6% and once you get the hang if that......then you can on to do a chocolate toucan with added ( you boil it up at bottling stage) cocoa powder and lactose.

hey ive done that kit over 50 times.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-original-stout-review.17817/
this is a 45 page thread from the sister site about that kit and favorite tweaks.

that kit comes out great with a pound of dme
half a pound of dark brown sugar
half pound of steeped chocolate malt
half pound of carapils
half pound of quaker outs
4 ounces of maltodextrine
no added hops needed its plenty bitter
to 5 gallons

yummy

chocolatey roasty goodness

cheers
Thats a good one i do something similar. You mark my words though, delete the maltodextrin and there is no change to head, whatsoever. I make stouts that have never been within 100 meters of maltodextrin and could almost stand a spoon up in the creamy head. Honestly maltodextrin is the biggest old wives tale in all of brewing, I think Coopers made it up to sell brew enhancer

Back