Substituting flaked rye for malted rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizooBrew

Reaction score
I was all excited to brew myself an American Rye Beer with some alfalfa honey (recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/proposed-alfalfa-honey-rye-recipe-327758/), but unfortunately it turns out my LHBS is having trouble stalking malted rye.

So... what would be an appropriate substitution rate for malted rye with flaked rye? I could also get unmalted rye berries, but this seems a more difficult route to go. I have done a lot of reading and it seems that everyone is recommending a mix of malted rye and flaked rye. Since I don't have access to malted rye, is it possible to brew exclusively with flaked rye?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Flaked rye is not malted and needs some base malt to be converted. You can definitely substitute flaked for some of the base malt, but not all. If you want to do an all-rye beer, you'll need to find some rye malt. There's quite a few vendors here that can get it for you.

Not doing an all rye beer. I am considering substituting flaked rye for rye malt in a recipe similar to this:

6 lb American 2-row
3.75 lb Rye Malt
3 lb Wheat Malt
1 lb Alfalfa Honey

The 2-row should have enough diastatic power to convert the flaked rye, correct? With this in mind, would a 1:1 substitution of flaked rye for rye malt work, or would some other substitution rate be more desirable?

Throw some rice hulls in the mash too. That will ensure that you don't get a stuck mash with a 30% flaked grain bill.

Back