Submitted beer to county fair...disappointed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any feedback is good with me. Take it for what you will. Competition are a lot of fun...find an honest opinion about your beer from judges and critiques from your fellow brewers.

Man this is exactly why I havn't enter any competitions yet (plus by the time I find them on google it is usually too late). My beers, especially the first few, are like my babies. To get a score lower than you expect is like a teacher telling you that your kid is a *******. They may be in the better position to judge it, but you still never want to hear it :D

I got a 28 on what me and my buddies thought was the best beer (smoked imperial Porter) I ever made. I put in in the porter category... scored a 28. had I put it in experimental may have done better. all faults where "out of style". could have scored higher in another category. have a truely excellent APA on draft now fermented way high. lots of pear and apple. will be a crowd pleaser but not a competition beer. I'm from SC and rarely enter a summer brew for competition, as I LIKE a good fruity ester in a pale ale. and brew them session style all summer long for general consumption.

For all the time I've spent reading that, I'm still amazed at how many sections I've never seen. This is really helpful. Thanks!

I can't believe how much of the book I'm still reading! The "real" book is updated, with even more information and I still use it often.

I know you didn't ask, but your score was actually good!

The breakdown is like this:

45-50 Outstanding. World class example of style. (VERY rare score!)
38-44 Excellent. Exemplifies style well.
30-37 Very Good. Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws.
21-29 Good. Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws
14-20 Fair. Off flavors or aromas, or major style deficiencies.

I've judged a number of competitions. Most beers fall under 29. A rare beer may score 40. A winner may score in the high 30s.

A+ yooper was just looking for that same info to encourage this newb! really want to do the beer judge thing. but need to concentrate on finding another real job!

Yooper said:
I've judged a number of competitions. Most beers fall under 29. A rare beer may score 40. A winner may score in the high 30s.

Hey, thanks for the encouragement!

In terms of judging, what's it like? When I entered the beer they asked if I'd want to judge, as entering and judging beers are, according to them, great ways to learn about the different styles, as well as beer as a whole.

So yeah...what's it like to judge? How valuable has it been?

Hey, thanks for the encouragement!

In terms of judging, what's it like? When I entered the beer they asked if I'd want to judge, as entering and judging beers are, according to them, great ways to learn about the different styles, as well as beer as a whole.

So yeah...what's it like to judge? How valuable has it been?

Believe it or not, it's a lot of work! Remember that you're not judging the beer to see if you like it- you're judging it next to a standard set of guidelines.

I've had more than a few awful beers, like infected or otherwise rotten. But I've still done my best to judge them according to the style guidelines and give good feedback for improvement. The best competitions will have suggestions for improvement, and explanations on how they arrived at their scores.

I'm a very good judge, and I've learned so much from other more experienced judges to get there. It's a wonderful learning experience! If you get the chance to judge in a good competition where you are a novice and you'll have an experienced BJCP judge with you, you'll learn more than you can imagine.

still want to get there for just pure enjoyment of the judge arena. I know I may need to take some of the strange catagor's but it's ok I've brewed smoked and & soured. all fun!

I'm going to remember this. You're right- in the grand scheme, it did pretty well. Hell, a 26 is considered "good".
I was going to say that even with your mistake you scored higher than a big percentage of those folks, so I'd say you should be pretty proud. This gives me hope that my 1st batch in the primary right now will turn out pretty good, especially since I started my fermentation a good bit above the desired temp.

Back