Orval!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a couple of Orvals the other day for my buddy and me. Didn't get around to drinking my bottle, so here I go. I'm using a Libbey tulip glass.

I first encountered this when I was in charge of all the beer and soda ordering at the student grocery at my university. Beer distributors gave me lists of things I could get, so I bought all sorts of things for personal use. Orval, Altenmunster, Spaten, Guinness, Whitbread, Watney's...kegs, six-packs, growlers...it was pretty neat, given the era.

I would say this is an amber beer. Cloudy or hazy or whatever you prefer to call it. Lots of head. Pretty persistent. Lots of CO2. Tingly bubbles.

The web says it's a brett beer. I have wanted to get familiar with brett. I thought it was in some smelly beers that turned out to be saccharomyces. People say it may smell like leather or a horse. I don't get any aromas or flavors like that here. To me, this beer has a mild and very refined aroma. You have to try to smell it. It's not like some kid with gauge earrings emptied a duffel bag full of Pacific Northwest hops in the fermenter.

It has a lemony kind of sourness. It starts off acidic, and it finishes with a mild bitterness that doesn't taste like hops to me. Is that from the yeast?

It seems extremely balanced to me. There is nothing offensive. I'm not thinking about adjustments they should have made. I can't think of any.

I don't usually like dry beers much, but this one works. It's confusing. It's like it's dry and sweet at the same time. Maybe it's not really dry. Maybe there are some big sugars still in there, along with the acidity.

Web says the ABV is 6.9, which is fairly high, but it drinks like a session beer. I could see some serious errors being made if I turned a keg of this over to people who didn't know how strong it was.

On the one hand, it's beautifully done. On the other, it doesn't have any interesting qualities that stand out. I don't think the monks are trying to make a statement, except to tell us they make this beer really well.

Really nice beer. Hard to imagine anyone finding anything about it to hate.

You must have a young bottle. My experience with it (about 15 years ago) was the opposite of yours, so I probably had a very old bottle. It had an off-putting leathery character and strong bitterness, which in a super dry beer was off-balance. I should try this beer again sometime as it's been a very long time and my palate today is more educated than it was before.

The only thing I found exciting about it was the lack of flaws.

I have read that it tastes like pineapples. It reminds me of a ponderosa lemon, which is a useless lemon the size of a softball. I am only familiar with them because I grew up in Florida, where no one likes them. No one who knows citrus would buy a ponderosa tree.

People from other states generally don't know all that much about odd citrus varieties. Ponderosas don't taste bad, but they have nearly no flavor. Like a normal lemon with no personality.

I like barnyard animals on the grill and plate but no barnyard flavor in my beers or wine.

20240126_212229.jpg

So, what's the date on the bottle? I've had Orval in the 3-5 years range that were quite brett-y, but still in good shape. I also had one rather young that sounded as you describe. Very good, not all that special.

Back