WLP840: Good Yeast Used for Bad Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend who I thought liked beer. Turned out he was just severely alcoholic. He used to present the garbage man with bags entirely full of Bud bottles. When the truck came, the neighborhood resounded with the sound of glass clinking. He drank a LOT of beer.

Somehow not realizing he had a problem, I tried to introduce him to actual beer by making something light, with some corn added. My thinking was that it would be like Bud or Miller, except that it would taste good. Around 25 IBU. That was as far as I thought I could go, because Bud people aren't familiar with the flavor of hops and could be spooked by it.

I thought it would be good if it smelled somewhat familiar to him, so I used WLP840 American Lager yeast. The hope was that it would have that green-apple smell cheap beer drinkers were used to. I actually like that smell, believe it or not. The pain comes when you put the beer in your mouth.

As it turned out, the beer was great, so I kept making it for myself. I was shocked.

I am going to make some of this soon, but I wanted to ask what people think of WLP840. There are claims it was originally scraped out of the system at a Bud brewery. It's used to make bad beer, but is it a bad yeast? Is there something else out there that might be better in a light lager with a little corn and crystal malt in it, with Magnum hops?

I think the yeast is probably fine, which makes you wonder why they bothered finding a good yeast to make Bud with.

Maybe consider the possibility that Bud wasn't always bad beer and they're still using the same yeast? The always impeccably reliable Wikipedia says that beer has been brewed in Budweis, Bohemia since 1265 and that Adolphus Busch was inspired to brew a Bohemian style lager after a trip there. Maybe they're still using the yeast that he got from a bottle he brought back to the US in 1876.

Having said that, I'm sure there are folks on this forum who can tell you a helluva lot more about WLP840 than I could ever dream of knowing

Back