Root Beer Extract Throwdown: Cook's vs. Zatarain's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Due to the recent unavailability of the Zatarain's root beer extract I've been using, I decided to try a different brand, Cook's. I'm down to about half of my last 4 oz. bottle of Zatarain's, and can't seem to find it anywhere.

I bought an 8 oz. bottle of Cook's on Amazon for $22--a bit spendy. That works out to $2.75/oz. I bought the Zatarain's a couple years ago, two 4 oz bottles for about $10. That's $1.25/oz.

RB-01.jpg

I prepared a small batch of each kind of root beer. I normally doctor up my root beer by adding a little vanilla extract, and a pinch of ground cloves and ground nutmeg. I also add some maltodextrin for added body. However, for fairness of this comparison, I didn't add any of those. Just water, sugar, extract, and I force-carbed.

The instructions that go with Cook's are kind of vague, so after some online searching I found that many people prefer a ratio of 1 oz. extract to 1 gal. water. This is the same ratio I have used for Zatarain's, so it makes the comparison even more level.

RB-02.jpg

I use 16 oz PET bottles, so I made a pint of each root beer. I filled each bottle about 3/4 full of warm tap water. I use Turbinado sugar, 1/4 cup per pint. I measured out the sugar--a level 1/4 cup weighs 45g, so I weighed out the same for each. I added the sugar to each bottle, capped and shook until it was fully dissolved. Using a pipette, I measured 3.75 ml of each extract and squirted into the respective bottles and shook. I topped up with cold water, leaving a couple inches headspace in the neck.

RB-03.jpg

To carbonate, I used stainless carbonator caps. I screwed the cap loosely on the bottle, squeezed out the air from the headspace and tightened. I carbed to 45 psi, shook the bottles several times until some of the CO2 dissolved and the bottles felt soft, carbed again to 45 psi, shook, then carbed once more.

RB-04.jpg

RB-05.jpg

I put the bottles in the fridge overnight, then carbed again the next day. I let them sit in the fridge one more day, then they were ready for tasting.

RB-06.jpg

The very unscientific taste test.

I poured each root beer into room-temp glasses (no frosty mugs!). Both had a thin head of foam that quickly collapsed. I smelled the aroma and tasted each, going back and forth.

RB-07.jpg

RB-08.jpg

My impressions:

Zatarain's: Prominent aroma and flavor of wintergreen, but not overpowering. I could taste the other spices. It has a brightness that I like. 4.5/5.

Cook's: Much more prominent wintergreen aroma and flavor, a bit too much. The overall taste was a little "flatter" than the Zatarain's--it didn't have that brightness. There was also a certain "earthiness" to the Cook's I can't put my finger on, though I will say it is not unpleasant. 4.0/5.

I had my wife do a blind taste test of both. She preferred the Zatarain's.

Overall, I'd say Cook's rates a little under the Zatarain's and I don't mind the Cook's. It's not too far behind Zat's, IMO. I will experiment with it, and doctor it up, just as I had with Zatarain's. I may have to bump up the additions, to balance that wintergreen a bit.

Necessity dictates, and I will make the Cook's extract work. But if Zatarain's shows up on the market again...

Last edited:
Thanks for that detailed report!

I contacted Zat's /McCormick but so far haven't heard back, but I'll post whatever I get from them. I checked all over too and Zatarain's seems to have dropped off the edge of the earth.

Considering the flavors you mentioned I'm going to try one of the other root beer extracts.

Again, THANKS for the detailed comparison!

The post that contained the discontinuance confirmation from McCormick was deleted because it contained political commentary, which is not allowed outside of the "Debate" forum on HBT. I have edited the material in the deleted post so that it just contains the announcement.

1701146505222.png

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

The post that contained the discontinuance confirmation from McCormick was deleted because it contained political commentary, which is not allowed outside of the "Debate" forum on HBT. I have edited the material in the deleted post so that it just contains the announcement.

View attachment 835017

doug293cz
HBT Moderator
Yup, I got almost word for word the same reply back. Got mine later yesterday, which I was impressed they responded that quick.

June 2023 Zatarian root beer was discontinued. RIP

1701206722121.png

Last edited:
Back