"Students are not allowed to defend themselves when they are attacked"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I had to go to my daughter's school today because of a fight that she was involved in.
It seems that a couple of guys in her art class didn't like the fact that my daughter was wearing a Walter Payton jersey, and started giving her crap about it.
When my daughter told them to, in essence, pi$$ off, they got angry, cornered her, and one boy grabbed her, poured India Ink on her jersey, and then shoved her into the wall.
Keep in mind, these two boys are 16 & 17, both 6' plus, and both varsity football players. My daughter is 14, about 5'2", and MAYBE 125 lbs. And a Black Belt.
She then did what she was trained to do. She kicked one of them in the groin and took out the other's knee, and then punched both of them in the face, bloodying both of their noses. Also keep in mind that ALL of this happened while the teacher was in the classroom, with 10 other students.

When I got to the school, it was my daughter and myself, the principal, dean of students, both boys and their parents, along with the football coach and the Athletic Director, both of whom I've butted heads with when I coached Pop Warner for the town, and the school decided that they wanted to use the program as a feeder program.

I was told that my daughter was going to be given an out-of-school suspension for one week, for fighting back. Both boys finally admitted their part in the altercation, including the fact that they attacked my daughter, but yet my daughter was going to be given the exact same punishment that they were.

To make an already long story short, after threatening to bring my lawyer, who just happens to be my daughter's uncle, to the next board meeting and bringing the local media with us, I was able to get her punishment switched to an IN-school suspension, and both boys are suspended from any athletics for the rest of the year, along with having to replace her Payton jersey.

All of this, because my daughter defended herself.

I guess the proper procedure, when a kid is being assaulted in school is to drop to the floor, curl up, and just take the beating.

Good for her.

That story gives me goose bumps. (the part about her kicking their @ss that is).

Unfortunately schools do take an "all parties are guilty" approach to altercations. Good for you for standing your ground.

In my grade school, the "proper" response to bullying was to tattle.

Good on your daughter for sticking up for herself. You can bet if I have kids they're taking self-defense classes. Especially if anyone's hatin' on the Bears...

And now, I doubt even the teachers will give her any trouble.

I forget, what exactly is an "In School" suspension? Does that mean she can't go home?

All through your story I was looking for the biased slant towards your daughter. You know, the little clue that hints that she was somehow responsible for this ****, but as a parent you were too blind to see it......There wasn't even an inkling of that, no matter how hard i looked.

Kudos to your girl. Ignore the PC crap and get on with things just as you are doing already, and all will be right for you and your own. :)

I forget, what exactly is an "In School" suspension? Does that mean she can't go home?

LOL, no, I THINK that just means that she can't go to school dances, etc.

You should have seen the looks on the administration's faces, after they said that if this happens again, she'll be out of school for two weeks, and I told my daughter that if this happens again, she'd better make it worth her time !

I think the I'll embarrass you in the media threat probably had the most to do with it. Nothing like word getting out that a little girl beat up 2 large football players, that is great for the reputation of the program.

Bravo to your girl!

Need to send out a bulliten to every kid in the school about how the two football players got their asses handed to them by a girl half their size. I guess the whole school probably knows already...

This made my day in several ways.

1. Way to go for your daughter! You must be good parents to have raised a daughter who refuses to be daunted.

2. Way to go for your daughter! So many black belts are just paper holders who can't do anything and make a bad name for martial arts. I bet those two meatheads will think twice next time they decide to assault a woman! Training well used.

3. Way to go dad! I think standing up to pressure from the athletics department takes guts. Way to stand up for your daughter when she was being unjustly punished.

I am really glad you posted this. Three cheers for you and your daughter!

Hip Hip Hurray!
Hip Hip Hurray!
Hip Hip Hurray!

:mug:

In my grade school, the "proper" response to bullying was to tattle.

Good on your daughter for sticking up for herself. You can bet if I have kids they're taking self-defense classes. Especially if anyone's hatin' on the Bears...

We live in an area where there are a lot of Colts fans, so we're used to listening to their nonsense, but as far as I'm concerned, to be ripping on Walter Payton, they deserved what they got !

In School suspension used to be a way of keeping wayward kids in a classroom to "study" but have no interaction with the rest of the school.

You were in a room with other "delinquents" and told to keep quiet and do your class work.

Never been assigned there but I did have to deliver their lunches one year.

To the OP:

That will teach them! Self defense is almost necessary in today's school environment. I bet most of the school won't mess with her now. :)

All through your story I was looking for the biased slant towards your daughter. You know, the little clue that hints that she was somehow responsible for this ****, but as a parent you were too blind to see it......There wasn't even an inkling of that, no matter how hard i looked.

Kudos to your girl. Ignore the PC crap and get on with things just as you are doing already, and all will be right for you and your own. :)

Don't get me wrong. I have NO doubt that she got in a few good words of her own during the verbal part of the battle (after all, she IS MY daughter !), but there was no excuse for the physical assault.

Hehehe, great job! I too am a black belt and had to become one b/c I was getting picked on in grade school. This story reminds me of one or two altercations I've had myself. It's such bull **** the way the school says children should "turn the other cheak". But that's what they are there for, to brain wash your kids.

Self defense is necessary because kids have no other way to learn to defend themselves. All we did as little kids was wrestle and fight. Until 4 grade it was one of the major recess activities. Lots of principal office visits ensued, but looking back they new what they were doing and only stepped in when they had too. It is good for kids to fight (in a proper amount). Girls are a little different, and my daughter WILL be starting karate at and early age.

K- what does your daughter do? Are you training also?

Jacked up. Defending your self, or simply making the other person stop physically abusing you can be a double edged sword.

A man cannot defend himself against a woman either. You have to run away from a woman physically beating on you. If you put her in a rear naked choke until she passes out you will be arrested I would think.

1. Way to go for your daughter! You must be good parents to have raised a daughter who refuses to be daunted.

2. Way to go for your daughter! So many black belts are just paper holders who can't do anything and make a bad name for martial arts. I bet those two meatheads will think twice next time they decide to assault a woman! Training well used.

3. Way to go dad! I think standing up to pressure from the athletics department takes guts. Way to stand up for your daughter when she was being unjustly punished.

Hip Hip Hurray!
Hip Hip Hurray!
Hip Hip Hurray!

THAT was the fun part. As I said, I've butted heads with both of them before, when I was a coach for Pop Warner, so there was already a history there.
Besides, I still know at least half of the varsity team from those days, on very good terms, so I'm sure once they find out that it was MY daughter that was involved, there's going to be even more punishment meted out. :D

Don't get me wrong. I have NO doubt that she got in a few good words of her own during the verbal part of the battle (after all, she IS MY daughter !), but there was no excuse for the physical assault.

Either way, kudos to her. I'm very proud of her and i don't even know her!!! D

Self defense is necessary because kids have no other way to learn to defend themselves. All we did as little kids was wrestle and fight. Until 4 grade it was one of the major recess activities. Lots of principal office visits ensued, but looking back they new what they were doing and only stepped in when they had too. It is good for kids to fight (in a proper amount). Girls are a little different, and my daughter WILL be starting karate at and early age.

K- what does your daughter do? Are you training also?

Both of my kids are black belts, and go to a school that teaches a mixture of the arts, mostly Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido.

And yes, I've done a few years also. I'm good enough that neither kid will spar with me. ;)

Kudos to both your daughter & yourself, 2 situations that were well handled! :rockin:
Just a thought, but maybe show her the support she gets from all of us by letting her read some of the posts in this thread. Regards, GF.

Awesome! Two football players getting the **** kicked out of them by a little girl! Good for her, shame on the school and good for you! Now those two goons hafta hide in shame and fear every time they see her in the halls!

I do have a small issue with the Payton jersey, but I don't wanna get beat up.......:D

Initial emotion based response, I wish your daughter had done serious, even permanent damage to clowns who thought bullying a much younger, smaller GIRL was in any way tolerable.

Two seconds for that to pass and Kudo's to your daughter for REALLY using the training of her martial arts instructors. End the situation immediate threat and stop.

Maybe a mention to the media isn't such a bad idea. If this happens for one student who has the skills to respond, what has happened to other kids without those skills. Little media spotlight and pressure and maybe the school policy will be examined with some level of reason applied.

Whatever happens from here on, Way To Go for your daughter and I commend you for the support you gave her.

In the school's defense. Giving everyone suspensions is boiler plate. That is what all of our area schools do. Fair, No, but it is what they do. Your case is different IMHO as most fights are not two full grown athletes attaching a younger woman. They are lucky it was in school and they aren't in cuffs.

I dont know you but you and your daughter both make me proud :ban:. I would start hitting the pads and be prepared just in case those two little bitches try to send her some trouble.

Did I read that this happened with the teacher in the room? So what punishment was handed out to the teacher for letting this go as far as it did? Fcuking wuse teacher. Tell that teacher to get their Birkenstocks moving, jump in their Prius, and get out of Dodge. Your daughter had no choice to defend herself, and as such should not have to be penalized at all. You should be proud. I know I would be. I would also be all over that teacher's ass.

Kudos to both your daughter & yourself, 2 situations that were well handled! :rockin:
Just a thought, but maybe show her the support she gets from all of us by letting her read some of the posts in this thread. Regards, GF.

Already thought about it. Gonna have my kids this weekend, so I'll let her ead them then.

I dont know you but you and your daughter both make me proud :ban:. I would start hitting the pads and be prepared just in case those two little bitches try to send her some trouble.

Actually, I JUST got off the phone with some of the other kids that I know on the football team that I coached before. They're going to "have a talk" with their team mates.

Did I read that this happened with the teacher in the room? So what punishment was handed out to the teacher for letting this go as far as it did? Fcuking wuse teacher. Tell that teacher to get their Birkenstocks moving, jump in their Prius, and get out of Dodge. Your daughter had no choice to defend herself, and as such should not have to be penalized at all. You should be proud. I know I would be. I would also be all over that teacher's ass.

She's claiming that she didn't know what was going on, because she was busy with other students. THAT matter, I WILL take up with the school board.

Hip Hip Hurray!
Hip Hip Hurray!
Hip Hip Hurray!

I can't agree more. Those two jerks got what they deserved. Hopefully they get an ass wuppin' by their dads too.

Good job to both of you, kjung!

Both you and your daughter have every right to be proud!

props to your girl. Unfortunetly, what was said is true. Schools do take the "every party is guilty" route (I know this reallllyyy well being only 5 years out of high school) I had to stand up for myself several times in lower grades for giving **** to upperclassmen, not quite in the way your daughter did, but giving it back to them none the less. And dealing with the powers that be afterward was never a treat. Fortunetly I was smarter than most the kids in my little school in the middle of no where so I had no problem talking circles around them.

Still, Im happy for your girl, she did the right thing.

The teacher should be ashamed though.

Yet another reason I hate the publick skool systum. It's run by retarded beaurocrats that only care about rules in place and not actually teaching our kids anything. Whether she started the fight or talked smack is irrelevant (I'm not saying she did, but hey high school kids do dumb things) but two against one is bullying, plain and simple. She shouldn't have had any punishment at all. And good for her showing those bullies the what for!

I say go to the media anyway. The more you expose administrative idiocy the more we get change.

If you think of it from the school's point of view, their stance will be correct 98% of the time. High school fights and primary school fights are almost never one sided. If they are the kids who are innocent are normally told that it won't affect them, but they have to spend a day in detention. It really isn't that bad of a system, Kjung is just in a weird situation that calls for a different solution, which he found.

Yet another reason I hate the publick skool systum. It's run by retarded beaurocrats that only care about rules in place and not actually teaching our kids anything. Whether she started the fight or talked smack is irrelevant (I'm not saying she did, but hey high school kids do dumb things) but two against one is bullying, plain and simple. She shouldn't have had any punishment at all. And good for her showing those bullies the what for!

I say go to the media anyway. The more you expose administrative idiocy the more we get change.

Private schools are just as bad if not worse.....trust me.

Back