Storing wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salamander

Reaction score
I have 6.15 gallons of wort ready to boil. Received a call to leave on an emergency business trip for three days and the plane leaves in 2 hours. How do I store it? I'm planning on covering the BK with foil and lid, then put in refrigerator.

I think that's the best you can do, unless you can freeze it.

Good luck. Some people do like sour beers.

freezer would be ideal but fridge should work. crank down the temp if you can (set it on "colder"/"coldest"), and put it on the bottom of the fridge. move any fruit, or anything else that can be damaged by freezing, to the top of the fridge. you'll be boiling the snot out of it when you return, and it's only 3 days, so i wouldn't worry too much - but do your boil as soon as you return. i would recommend against keeping it in the fridge until the following weekend.

have a taste when you return. there is always a chance that it will have soured a little (certainly not as much as it would have outside the fridge). if you do detect sourness, modify your recipe accordingly...

I do a Kentucky common beer that requires souring 50% of the wort pre-boil. I just store the other wort in a sterlized carboy (w/airlock) in fridge for about a week to allow other to sour. Never had a bit a trouble with stuff in carboy- never soured.

Back