Tap water got in the wort!!!! Oh the humanity!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilbo24

Reaction score
Ok. Not happy here!!!!!!
I had just put my wort chiller in my wort and turned on the cold water faucet which sends cold tap water(which is chlorinated) thru my wort chiller and back to the sink drain. This is the second time I’ve used this wort chiller. First time no prob!!! This time a very short time into the wort chilling, I noticed a slight disturbance on the surface of the wort and realized that tap water was leaking from the connection of the plastic hose and the copper going into the chiller. Immediately turned off the faucet to stop any other tap water from getting in the wort. I’m guessing maybe a half of a cup got in… maybe slightly less but no more. The wort temperature at that point was somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 degrees. The radiator hose clamp securing the hose to the copper was loose. I put on a second clamp and tightened the original one.
How much damage did I do to the brew? It is a kit from Northern Brewer (Captains Ration Export Stout). I’ll add the following as it may be of interest. The recipe called for 5 gallons total. With the original 2.5 gallons in the kettle (slightly less after boiling) and then adding the two additional gallons that we were told to add to the wort after it was poured into the fermenter, I still had to add 67 oz to get to the called for 5 gallons. In other words, I’m thinking that my original estimate of 1/2 cup of tap water getting in may be close or a wee bit high! I would love any thoughts you might have on this. The recipe called for a 1.072 OG and that’s what I got!!!!

I'm betting you'd be hard-pressed to notice any effects on the beer when it's done. Obviously, it didn't bump the needle on OG. I doubt there was enough tap water for the chlorination to be an issue. Infection is unlikely, too. Your beer should be fine.
Thank you!!!

I wouldn't worry about 1/2 a cup. I don't measure my water exactly and my beer still comes out fine. Not enough chlorine in that little bit to notice, either.
I'm betting you'd be hard-pressed to notice any effects on the beer when it's done. Obviously, it didn't bump the needle on OG. I doubt there was enough tap water for the chlorination to be an issue. Infection is unlikely, too. Your beer should be fine.
Thank you!!

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago, but with backyard hose water 😵

I panicked then remembered RDWHAHB.

Beer turned out great.
😜thanks!!
I once added straight tap water to a bottle that came a bit short and didn't notice a thing when I drank it.
I guess I was more worried about the chlorine in our water than the concern the water might not be as pure as bottled water!

Latest posts

Back