How long can wort stand before yeast added?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennesse

Reaction score
I made my yeast starters yesterday and they are spinning. Usually by the next morning (now), the starters have noticeably thickened. But this time they hasn't. I've already started brewing, so I'm preparing for a possibly big problem - i.e. the yeast is dead.

Good old WLP 001, but it's almost at its "best by" date. Been in the fridge, don't think it has been mishandled. Maybe this batch is just a "slow starter" (pun intended!), and needs some more time.

IF NOT, I will finish brewing this afternoon, and put the carboys (2 x 6 gal) in my temp-controlled fermentation fridge at 70F while I switch to Plan B. How long can I leave the wort in the fridge before I get some more yeast?

I'm tossing it. It didn't start at all, and looked just like dirty dishwater after 24 hours. This is my 76th brew using White Labs yeast and the first one to have a yeast problem. Had all kinds of other problems, but never the yeast. Now I did buy it from an unfamiliar store in a different town, but who knows - more likely just bad luck.
Give the people what they want - Bread (2 lbs. Victory malt) and Circuses

Attachments

• 076-bread-and-circuses.jpg
    076-bread-and-circuses.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back