SS braid for hop strainer+a little bit of rubber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
can i use this as a hop strainer?

A little bit of rubber is left at the end that screws onto the tap. Will this cause off flavours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the amount of hops and if you're using pellets or whole hops. I think you might get a little clogging using pellets with something that small and fine.

I think that if you use pellet hops that thing would clog up. Not sure about leaf hops I don't use em. But why strain the hops?

I will use whole leaf hops. But I was more worried about the small amount of rubber hose left leaching off flavours into the beer.

I don't think that little bit of rubber will hurt but like everyone else I think the hops will clog that up.

You shouldn't be using steel parts on anything, switch the nipple and reducer to brass.

I don't think that little bit of rubber will hurt but like everyone else I think the hops will clog that up.

You shouldn't be using steel parts on anything, switch the nipple and reducer to brass.

Why do you say there are steel parts? i thought it was stainless.

That nipple and reducer didn't look stainless, I could be wrong....

All of the SS reducers I've seen look like this, the one you show looks galvanized...

images

Am I missing something? Did your video say mash filter? There are no hops in a mash and you definitely do not want to mash in that bucket.

That nipple and reducer didn't look stainless, I could be wrong....

All of the SS reducers I've seen look like this, the one you show looks galvanized...

images

ah I see what you mean. I should have said. I haven't used a reducer as the nut on the end of the braid ( the end i didn't cut off) screws right onto my tap. I'm assuming it is all SS.

Am I missing something? Did your video say mash filter? There are no hops in a mash and you definitely do not want to mash in that bucket.

It's not my vid if that is what you mean. I just want to use the same thing as a hop filter in my kettle.

I use a stainless mesh washing machine lint trap as a hop strainer in my boil kettle. It has been working great for years with leaf or pellet.

It's not my vid if that is what you mean. I just want to use the same thing as a hop filter in my kettle.

That clears things up a bit, in my experience stainless braids don't work well for straining hops. When they clog it is almost impossible to get flowing again.

Back