Solenoid Valve - back flow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caskconditioned

Reaction score
I'm in the process of designing my next build and I'm planning on using a BCS to control some solenoid valves (liquid). Over the last couple days I've been reading a lot of posts and remember reading that some folks have had back-flow issues (but I cannot find where I read it).

Before I design my manifold, I want to make sure I understand the limitations of solenoid valves...

Can you pass liquid in both directions (if wanted) or are they designed to be used with flow in one direction?

If there is some pressure in the opposite direction, will you get back-flow? Or do they make solenoid valves that don't allow back-flow and/or allow flow in both directions?

Thanks!

Most solenoid valves do have a flow direction. They can also be a pain to get fully clean.

I'd suggest sourcing some electric ball valves if you can swing it.
Yikes, did a quick (ok, extensive) search on electric ball valves - not cheap. The cheapest I could find were still over $250 each. Plus, the time to open/close them is over 10 seconds. That could be a problem.

Why are solenoid valves hard to clean? I've never seen one up close so I don't know how they actually work.

Does anyone have any ideas on the back-flow issues?

There are a couple systems out there using the Chinese built electric actuated ball valves, I think the price was around $30 each, but minimum quantity was 10. The actuation time was in the 10-15 second range which should not be to bad, not instant like a solenoid but it is more of a bullet proof method when dealing with flow in both directions.

I'm in the process of designing my next build and I'm planning on using a BCS to control some solenoid valves (liquid). Over the last couple days I've been reading a lot of posts and remember reading that some folks have had back-flow issues (but I cannot find where I read it).

Before I design my manifold, I want to make sure I understand the limitations of solenoid valves...

Can you pass liquid in both directions (if wanted) or are they designed to be used with flow in one direction?

Thanks!
Butterfly valves do work very well in both directions and are super easy to keep clean.
If closing or opening speed is an issue you could do something completely different and use air operated valves.
Here is one of my air operated homemade butterfly valve
100_5574.jpg

and one of my valve with commercial spring return actuator
100_5567-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

This is a good topic as I am using a KIP 24 V solenoid valve for the HLT hot water flow to the MT and for the autofill for the cold water to the HLT. The other valves that will handle the wort flow will be motor operated ball valves.

If anyone knows if the solenoids will need a back-flow valve and if so, a good-one that works at our low pressures but higher temps and definitely in SS.

Thanks for any replies.

Bill

he actuation time was in the 10-15 second range which should not be to bad, not instant like a solenoid but it is more of a bullet proof method when dealing with flow in both directions.

If the delay is an issue than use a check valve on the outbound side of the solenoid valve. About the same total cost.

Back