Flow control valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgbrew

Reaction score
Kegged a kolsch a week ago. It's been sitting at 12psi for about 7 days. I've just bought a kegland flow control ball lock valve and evabarrier tubing (4mm ID and 8mm OD). Does beer line length still matter as much using one of these? I'm concerned that the valve might cause some foaming and I want to make sure that if my beer isn't carbonated it's because it needs more time on gas and not because the valve is causing foam and the beer appears flat.

I've got about 5 or 6 feet attached to it with a picnic tap. Tried it at different flow settings and the beer seemed under carbonated. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong with the valve. I'll give it another week on gas and check it again. Thanks!

i hate those valves. they are very stiff and seem to get caught when tightned or loosend all the way. and yes they work better with 5-7 ft of 4 mm ID eva. and slight adjustments seem to take a while to even out before you get a good pour. i find once i get it right tho it pours well until kicked its just hard to get them right sometimes.

if not using a pull tap switch to a picnic tap 2.1, i have no problems with them ever. although others have had issues with picnic tap 2.1 .

The QD would not effect the beer being flat or not. If the QD is not working you will get all foam. If the beer pours without foam but is still flat, you are under carbonated or have a leak allowing the CO2 to escape from the keg. 12 PSI at 40F should be fairly carbonated. Enough to not appear flat. 7 days is not the best (14 would be better) but enough to do the job. Maybe wait a little longer and/or spray some starsan on the lid & posts with the QDs off just to make sure.

I have a Nukatap mini directly connected to one of those flow control QDs and it's pouring just fine. Obviously, that means they can work with no beer line at all. It is a little bit tricky to get the resistance just right. I also have a few of the picnic tap 2.1 and also have had good luck with them. Others have had nothing but frustration from one or the other of these devices and I have no idea why experiences are so variable. But at any rate, I don't think the valve is your problem and I agree with Bassman - you should check for leaks.

fwiw, I run 6.5' of 4mm EVABarrier with CMB disconnects and get lovely pours. And I have read that the FC connectors induce a minimum resistance much higher than any CMB ever induced. If one still has to run 5' or more of tubing for a decent pour I'd say the FC connectors aren't really helpful...

Cheers!

I have a Nukatap mini directly connected to one of those flow control QDs and it's pouring just fine. Obviously, that means they can work with no beer line at all. It is a little bit tricky to get the resistance just right. I also have a few of the picnic tap 2.1 and also have had good luck with them. Others have had nothing but frustration from one or the other of these devices and I have no idea why experiences are so variable. But at any rate, I don't think the valve is your problem and I agree with Bassman - you should check for leaks.
No leaks. It's not flat. Just not as carbonated as I would like. I'm going to give it another week to carb up. I'm sure my regulator isn't calibrated to nasa specs either!

I had better luck with the stainless parts which are working very well. But then again, I have one tap which is flow control and it works just fine with EVA Barrier hooked up as well. The common thread is EVA Barrier does a nice job of resistance on its own.

I always do the "set it and forget it" method as well. One week will cut it if I'm super anxious for the beer and can convince myself it's not that bad. In reality, it's not good enough and I need 2 weeks.

I'd say you've got another week to go.

I always do the "set it and forget it" method as well. One week will cut it if I'm super anxious for the beer and can convince myself it's not that bad. In reality, it's not good enough and I need 2 weeks.

I'd say you've got another week to go.
I'm really not in a hurry and even if it's ****... oh well!

Latest posts

Back