IRRIGATION MYSTERY--

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
i have a well in back yard, and pump water up into a reservoir in the garage, which is an ibs tote 275gal with a submersible pump in it. (water is above lawn/sprinklers/valves, etc.) the issue ive just found is that after doing some work recently (swapping new sprinkler heads, layout changes) i've noticed the reservoir being empty. it seems the valves (rain genie 54000) are allowing a gravity siphon to take place and its just siphoning water from the reservoir --through the valves which are "off" --- and leaking out of the new heads. i'm shocked that the valves allow this- their whole friggin job is to stop water flow and only allow it when called by the timer and when solenoid opens. we're talking about a 3ft drop from top of reservoir and then maybe 1ft when its almost empty , so cant be more than 1 or 2psi of pressure/gravity. and yet every single valve is allowing water to flow and soak the yard. im baffled.

troubleshooting- i opened up the valves, looked for leaks, sand/grit/etc and they all look fine. solenoids move freely. the only way to stop the flow was to crank down on the "flow control" knob to max pressure until the flow stopped. GREAT. ran the sprinklers......unfortunately at that point there isnt enough pressure to open the sprinkler heads. !$@!@$ so its either sprinklers work and system leaks until the reservoir is empty, or no leaks and no sprinklers. AWESOME

troubleshooting part II- i have a 3way valve to take water from city supply when the well is dry and not giving much water. when i switched to city water, i see no leaks, i.e. the valves can now magically stop the flow of source water at like 60psi. unfortunately, as soon as i switched back to the reservoir the siphon continued and i'm back to square one.

WTF is going on here? anybody have any idea why these valves can stop city water but will just leak/weep with gravity siphon?
l54000.ashx

Back