So i am getting ready for my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crassostrea

Reaction score
And I am leaning towards BIAB method. I brewed a batch of extract about 7 years ago and feel that as a scientist and avid cook BIAB will not be a difficult jump.

I may be nuts but I think it will be a good experience. I am looking at doing a bells two hearted clone. Any words of wisdom other than sanitize things?

Can you bring a specified quantity of water up to a certain temperature and hold it there? Can you stir up a bunch of hot cereal without getting doughballs? That's all that is required for mashing. Can you bring that same or slightly less amount of water to a rolling boil and keep it there for an hour? That's really all the more complicated it is. I was amazed when my first mash got conversion. I was even more amazed when the second one did likewise and the third was like, why did I worry about this.

Have a couple calibrated thermometers on hand, and keep on top of your temps. Lots of difference between a 144 degree and 158 degree mash.

Back