Hey from Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy123

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading the forum here for a while and just signed up. I started brewing 25 years ago then took a 20 year hiatus while raising my two kids. About six months ago I returned to the hobby and am really enjoying myself. I had brewed all-grain in the past but when I returned I started with extracts go ease myself back into the process. Two batches ago I started using the BIAB method. My first batch (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone based on the Sierra Madre recipe from NorthernBrewer) is about 2 weeks into bottle conditioning and I am very pleased with the results so far.

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge and experience! Perhaps we'll cross paths on a thread some day.

Welcome.
I'm looking at going to BIAB in the near future also. Do you use an actual bag, or one of the all-in-one electric systems?

Welcome.
I'm looking at going to BIAB in the near future also. Do you use an actual bag, or one of the all-in-one electric systems?
I use a mission-specific bag from The Brew Bag-Designed for Brew In A Bag-This is your LAST brew bag! There are a few good videos out there that detail the process. I am getting about 65% efficiency which is not as high as I would like so my next research project is figuring out how to squeeze out at least another 5%. I am using a 10 gallon Gott cooler which I also place inside a box lined with 1” insulation so once I mix the grain and water and the temp settles, it holds the temperature steady for the entire mash time (60-75 minutes). I monitor the mash temperature with a Bluetooth thermometer that I also use for grilling and smoking.

Howdy, from another Wisconsinite. Recently returned myself, after a long hiatus. Looking forward to hearing your journey.

Hi all, I've been reading the forum here for a while and just signed up. I started brewing 25 years ago then took a 20 year hiatus while raising my two kids. About six months ago I returned to the hobby and am really enjoying myself. I had brewed all-grain in the past but when I returned I started with extracts go ease myself back into the process. Two batches ago I started using the BIAB method. My first batch (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone based on the Sierra Madre recipe from NorthernBrewer) is about 2 weeks into bottle conditioning and I am very pleased with the results so far.

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge and experience! Perhaps we'll cross paths on a thread some day.
Hey neighbor, welcome to the gang!

Are you having your grain milled by the LHBS, or do you mill your own? The crush can make a big difference in efficiency. For BIAB, you can mill finer than for traditional AG.
I am very close to RiteBrew in Little Chute WI so they have milled the 2 batches I’ve done BIAB so far. I do not have my own mill but would consider a low cost mill to dial-in a finer grind if that would improve efficiency in the 5-10% range. What I’ve read on blogs and other online sources seemed contradictory on the topic.

I am very close to RiteBrew in Little Chute WI so they have milled the 2 batches I’ve done BIAB so far. I do not have my own mill but would consider a low cost mill to dial-in a finer grind if that would improve efficiency in the 5-10% range. What I’ve read on blogs and other online sources seemed contradictory on the topic.
Rite Brew does a good grind. When my mill was down they milled my grain at purchase. Rite Brew is down the road from me too.

To Max's point you have better control over that aspect of your brewing. If you plan do lots of brewing it's a good investment. With some luck you might score a gently used mill.

I had the Barley Crusher for years then picked up a used JSP that I use now.

Look into the Cereal Killer or Hullwrecker. Those are solid, 2-roller mills for around $140.

I know that's a lot of coin. But BIAB efficiency should be more like 80% or so, not 65. The savings in grain will eventually pay for that mill.

Last edited:
Welcome from Missouri.

Have to agree with the crush. When I got my own mill the efficiency went up about 10%. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Back