So, funny story about my dog...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrodm

Reaction score
I brewed a spiced christmas beer a week or so ago. As per my usual habit, I dumped the spent grains from the mash in my compost pile, out in the back corner of my yard. I keep asking SWMBO to do something with them, it seems like such a waste to just toss them, but at least they'll end up as compost, right?

So the next day I come home from work and SWMBO is in the living room scrubbing the rug. She turns to me and says, "I think the dog is really sick--she's been throwing up all day and it has this really strange smell." I go over to the spot where she's cleaning and give it a sniff, and I detect cloves, star anise and a little cinnamon. Apparently, my dog ate about 3 lbs. of spent grain from my brew and then proceeded to sick it up all over the house! I apologized to SWMBO, and promised to mix in the spent grains from now on to keep the dog out of them. Maybe I should just accept it and start making dog biscuits!

I should've figured this would be a problem--my dog is a notorious airlock sniffer. I wonder if she's been eating the grains all this time, and the spices just happened to upset her stomach?

My dogs will eat spent grains like crazy. I have to take them to the back of the property and toss them over the fence into my woods.

This is funny? In my house under such circumstances they become my dogs and the situation would stay static until I got home and did the cleanup. That's why I'm not laughing.

But on a more serious note - spent hops are toxic to dogs more so in some breeds than others. Greyhounds are unusually susceptible if I recall so yes, your dog was really sick and you need to take care that she doesn't get into spent hops in the future. I am assuming here, of course, that you dumped the hops with the grain.

146729696.jpg

I know about the problem of hop toxicity--this was just spent grain, as I don't put hops in with the mash. And I'm sure if I'd been home I would have been the one cleaning it up. As it was I got an earful, but I was laughing so hard I don't think it made her feel any better.

Like I said, I don't know if she's been eating them all this time or not--I've never seen her sick up any grains in the past, and I've been dumping them back there for at least several months. I think maybe it was just the spices. That couldn't have been fun to throw back up.

Back