My liver getting a 2nd fermentation !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunken Monkey

Reaction score
My 1st post after coming across this forum while doing some brewing research.

I started brewing beer in 1990 when liquid yeast of today was a pipe dream. 100’s of gallons under my belt with many being my own recipes. I mostly made strong porters, stouts, and ales being I like robust beers myself. But, also made other lighter beers in between. I also, made hard ciders as well.

But, after marriage and kids popping out starting in 2004. I sidelined my brewing and almost all but forgot the joy of it.

In 2014 I bought a new house with a 1/2 acre backyard on a large lot. I planted many fruit trees soon after. Now, many are mature and producing like mad. To the point we can’t keep up. So, it dawned on me to make wine 😁. I’d never done wine before, but had the jist on how things work. So, now I’m off to the races and have started 3 primary fermentations in the past week.

Being where I live almost everything grows. So, options are endless really. And, I intend to explore and experiment with many fruits. And, hopefully be able to aid other brewers along the way and pass along recipes. Being I have good notes on everything I do and have done. From strong 9% chocolate stouts to double fermented spiced cider.

hmm fruit wines are not that much different than ciders - sort of . what fruit you got. try mixing the fruits with grapes i find fruit flavored wines better and easier to make than straight fermented fruit juice .
one very easy way to make wine from fruits is to use store bought grape juice and add fruit juice or fruit to it. making a fruit flavored wine sometimes is more palatable than say a wine made from straight cherries or mangoes or persimmons or whatever else you grow.

although florida grows everything i would be scared of the ambient temps. you will definately want/need some temperature control at least a little bit.

what have you already started im curious/ jealous of what you are growing. i had a pear tree for many years that produced hundreds of pears. perry didnt turn out right but pressed pear juice fermented with apple juice worked great and pear juice fermented with white grape juice was one of my best wines. (dont forget the pectinase!)
welcome to the forum and good luck brewing/ fermenting .

hmm fruit wines are not that much different than ciders - sort of . what fruit you got. try mixing the fruits with grapes i find fruit flavored wines better and easier to make than straight fermented fruit juice .
one very easy way to make wine from fruits is to use store bought grape juice and add fruit juice or fruit to it. making a fruit flavored wine sometimes is more palatable than say a wine made from straight cherries or mangoes or persimmons or whatever else you grow.

although florida grows everything i would be scared of the ambient temps. you will definately want/need some temperature control at least a little bit.

what have you already started im curious/ jealous of what you are growing. i had a pear tree for many years that produced hundreds of pears. perry didnt turn out right but pressed pear juice fermented with apple juice worked great and pear juice fermented with white grape juice was one of my best wines. (dont forget the pectinase!)
welcome to the forum and good luck brewing/ fermenting .
Thanks, and sounds like you know my area!
I currently have mangoes, star fruit, sapidilla, dragon fruit, lychee, myers lemon, pineapple, pomegranate and blue jave musa bananas on my property. But, have full access to strawberry and blackberry too locally grown (you pick farms).

Curretly, I started a mango/pineapple brew with added coconut for the summer tastings. Also, a star fruit blend with pear and lemon juice that has added ginger and echinacea for character. Using local honey and cane sugar.

Back