Smoking peppers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkinger

Testing... testing...is this frigger on?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fairly new at this whole smoking meat deal, after winning the Big Poppa Smoker a few months back I really got into it. I've had success with a couple racks of ribs as well as the best pulled pork butt on Labor Day weekend.

Anyhow... Been thinking about my next smoke session.

I was thinking about smoking some peppers (jalapeño, poblano, etc...) but I have some thoughts and concerns.
Would smoking them at the same time make the meat acquire the taste of the peppers?
Is this something that would be intentionally done?

I smoke jalepenos and then dry them in a food dehydrator. I've had peppers in my smoker with a pork butt and didn't notice any jalepeno flavor in the meat.

I smoke jalepenos and then dry them in a food dehydrator. I've had peppers in my smoker with a pork butt and didn't notice any jalepeno flavor in the meat.

Excellent!! This is exactly what I hoped for.
It seems that as I am learning about using my new smoker, I always seem to have hours of extra heat available after I am done cooking. Figured this would be a good time to go ahead and toss on some peppers and other veggies (and even some base malt) to use the remaining heat and smoke as efficiently as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I smoke jalapeno, poblano, whole onion (skin on) and garlic heads. Peal the peppers, garlic and onions, give it a course chop, add a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Makes a tasty smokey salsa/chutney thing. It's a big hit. Sometimes I will add a smoked habanero or bhut jolokia if I want it hot.

Back