Smoked Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so I did a TriTip last week and my wife really enjoyed it. So I am thinking of doing ribs this weekend. Problem is, she doesn't like greasy sauce ribs, but would rather have them be a bit drier on the outside. My thought is just a dry rub, in the smoker for about 3 hours at about 225, foil for two hours with a bit of either BBQ sauce or Apple Cider Vinegar, and finally an hour on the rack again to try and dry some of the moisture on the outside. Thoughts? Thanks all.

For the Two hour wrap use Pink Paper (butcher paper). Foil can hold too much moisture making the ribs soggy. The pink paper lets enough moisture escape that the bark stays firm while holding enough moisture to keep the ribs from drying out too much. I use a mix of BBQ sauce and beer in the wrap. I don't sauce the ribs at the end but have sauce on the table for those who like a little with the ribs. Hope this helps. Enjoy with a home brew!

OK, so I did a TriTip last week and my wife really enjoyed it. So I am thinking of doing ribs this weekend. Problem is, she doesn't like greasy sauce ribs, but would rather have them be a bit drier on the outside. My thought is just a dry rub, in the smoker for about 3 hours at about 225, foil for two hours with a bit of either BBQ sauce or Apple Cider Vinegar, and finally an hour on the rack again to try and dry some of the moisture on the outside. Thoughts? Thanks all.

What type of smoker ? Green egg type ceramic smoker, your gas griill? Single wall steel ?
I do ribs 4 hour max in a grill dome my own home mixed rub, indirect heat over a pan with a inch of water in it. No sauce many have preferred it without sauce.

What type of smoker ? Green egg type ceramic smoker, your gas griill? Single wall steel ?
I do ribs 4 hour max in a grill dome my own home mixed rub, indirect heat over a pan with a inch of water in it. No sauce many have preferred it without sauce.
Sorry, I should have elaborated. It is a Smoke Vault Propane Smoker. It is a bit older and probably not as good as it used to be, but still seems to work. I have a spicy rub that I want to try. I also have a SPG rub that I used on the TriTip that my wife really liked, so I will split the rack in half and season both accordingly. My thought is, apple wood chunks (not too much as she does not like a really smokey taste). 3 hours on the rack at 225 or so, 2 hours wrapped in butcher paper, and 1 hour on either the smoker or my Webber grill to sear and caramelize anything that may still be there. It will just be me and her, so pizza number will be close by. LOL.

"You dry rub the [ribs] with spices for a day or two. Sauce is a myth."
Thanks. My thought it dry rub in the morning, then smoke at about noon or so and have them ready by hopefully 5:30 or so. I usually don't hit my times right, so I want to allow myself a bit of time in case they are not quite done and I need a bit more time.

It's a quote from The West Wing. I stand behind it.

I've made plenty of good stuff on a Smoke Vault. For pork ribs, I usually do Meathead's Memphis Dust and cook them at 225° until they're done. No paper, no sauce, no vinegar, etc. Served with sauces on the side.

It's a quote from The West Wing. I stand behind it.

I've made plenty of good stuff on a Smoke Vault. For pork ribs, I usually do Meathead's Memphis Dust and cook them at 225° until they're done. No paper, no sauce, no vinegar, etc. Served with sauces on the side.
I like it!!!!!!! Less work and more time to drink a HB or two. LOL. thanks for the info, and of course, Rock On!!!!!!!!!!

How’s this for a pic? Apple smoked bacon on the weber bullet. Of course washed down with a Rauchbier!

Attachments

• 858DC92A-AF57-4AED-AFFF-92540E13754F.jpeg
    858DC92A-AF57-4AED-AFFF-92540E13754F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Sorry, I should have elaborated. It is a Smoke Vault Propane Smoker. It is a bit older and probably not as good as it used to be, but still seems to work. I have a spicy rub that I want to try. I also have a SPG rub that I used on the TriTip that my wife really liked, so I will split the rack in half and season both accordingly. My thought is, apple wood chunks (not too much as she does not like a really smokey taste). 3 hours on the rack at 225 or so, 2 hours wrapped in butcher paper, and 1 hour on either the smoker or my Webber grill to sear and caramelize anything that may still be there. It will just be me and her, so pizza number will be close by. LOL.
You might also consider a pan of water in the smoker to help with moisture retention. 6 hours of cooking probably a bit long. My experience on a green egg type ceramic insulated slow cooker is 4 hours max even with water pan underneath meat. It draws less air across the meat thereby less drying. I would add a wet mixture of your choosing in the butcher paper wrapped period of cooking. Each cooking appliance has its own unique cooking character. Poke and prode periodically to check your progress but not to often. Good luck.

Back