Comment my smoked maple brown ale beer recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi there,

I took a note last year in my calendar to brew a beer with maple syrup before spring. I do have my own small maple syrup production at home so every spring I do about 25 gallons ( 100L of maple syrup. I would like to enjoy this beer in my shack while boiling the maple sap with friends...

So here is my recipe :

1.064og ( this og include the maple syrup addition in fermenter )
30ibu
19srm
6,8%

9lbs marris otter
1lbs beechwood smoked malt ( I would like to lightly smoke this grain again with maple wood in my small electric smoker )
1lbs flaked barley
4oz UK chocolate malt
4oz special B malt
0,75oz Magnum hop
Yeast ????
Add 1 pound of dark maple syrup at the end of the primary fermentation

I do have Notthingham dry yeast in stock but I think it has too much attenuation and will kill the subtle maple aroma. Should I try an english yeast like S-04. I also have White Labs California Ale yeast 001 in stock...

I want to add some smoked malt because that flavor reminds me of the fire going in the shack...

Should I go with a lower OG to be able to get the maple syrup aroma ?

Thanks for the feedback ! Pictures are for the inspiration haha!

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image (1).jpg
    thumbnail_Image (1).jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 22
  • thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 23
so just a quick update... I poured my first glass of that beer last night and its pretty damn good... I will add my final recipe soon. I finaly smoked all my Marris Otter grains in my Weber smoky Mountain with maple chunks for a little less than 2 hours. Ive put the grains in perforated aluminium pans and was stirring grains every 15 minutes and sprayed them lightly with water.

I also added 1.5lbs of dark maple syrup in the secondary.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image (2).jpg
    thumbnail_Image (2).jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 8
Back