Silent Light(灯火稀)/ kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

28wang

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Norway Voss kveik
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days @ 30℃
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days @ 30℃
Additional Fermentation
7 days @ 5℃
Tasting Notes
When it is just taken out of the refrigerator, it is tasted at about 6℃. The taste is sour and has a slight bitter taste, like the taste of orange, which also has the flavor of tropical fruits; When the tasting temperature rises to 10 ° C, the refreshing fruit aroma such as pear and apple hits.

Silent Light(灯火稀)/ kölsch​

Recipe:

3.5Kg Pilsner malt
1Kg Wheat Malt Pale
20g MT HOOD
20g SAAZ
11g Norway Voss kveik
20L Water

This is a very conservative formula. Secondary fermentation using glucose, about 6g/L. Add 10g MT HOOD hops 45 minutes and 5 minutes before the end of the boil, and 20g SAAZ hops 15 minutes before the end of the boil. The ABV is about 4.68.

Because this is my first time using high temperature yeast, in the summer, I want to be able to ferments more freely, without manual intervention, just like the old farm to make beer, so there are no too complicated ingredients, as simple as possible, so as to bring out the flavor of the yeast. Thankfully, I did it in one go.

In the city where I live, temperatures have been above 35°C for most of the month, but unfortunately I forgot to check the weather forecast before brewing and the initial fermentation lasted for 4 days on cloudy days at around 22°C. In fact, the yeast had slowed down by the second day, but I conservatively continued for two more days. Good thing it didn't spoil.

This is my third time brewing beer and my first time making kölsch, I didn't have much experience, so I tasted it almost every two days and recorded the data. In the stage of secondary fermentation, I carried out the fermentation at 30℃ for 6 days, and then divided it into two batches. One batch was put into the refrigerator at 5℃, and the other batch was kept at room temperature for two weeks.

Put in the refrigerator for 4 days, I couldn't resist tasting the beer early, as if the hot yeast would speed up the time we used to brew, when the beer was already ripe.

Room temperature fermentation is more tropical than refrigerated in advance, but there is no other fruity, such as pears, may be covered, not very refreshing but the sweetness of the fruit is very full; The beer that has been refrigerated for more time has a taste similar to Japanese sake, as the temperature rises, the taste changes in a strange way. Surprisingly, fermentation at both temperatures produced pleasant flavors.

I also tried two experiments on the basis of this kölsch, adding leaves with Chinese characteristics and adding more glucose, and got a new record. Adding leaves made the beer more clear and refreshing, while more glucose made the beer become like juice, and the color and smell were amplified. If you like tropical juice, can put more sugar in the secondary fermentation, at least 10g/L.

This is a beer without too much manual intervention in temperature, and as you can see from the pictures, the beer is getting clearer and clearer over time.

I hope my recipe can help you. Enjoy the unknown brew.

Attachments

• 1bdf1bc105977da1b547ea588d035635.mp4
    2.8 MB
  • ed63c12b1c236223fbeb0a8b36582af.jpg
    ed63c12b1c236223fbeb0a8b36582af.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 7aa546398db9d5eae61fcce4666230c.jpg
    7aa546398db9d5eae61fcce4666230c.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back