Imperial Yeast I10 Mangosteeni Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelerx

Reaction score
New seasonal yeast, about Mangosteeni:

The newest member of our Imperialis (I-Series) yeast strain family was developed by isolating two unique strains, resulting in a hybrid that is an efficient and highly flavorful agent for fermentation.

Imperial Yeast I10 Mangosteeni was excellent attenuation, prompt reduction of diacetyl, and versatility brewing a wide variety of ales and IPAs! Mangosteeni boasts a robust flavor profile of ripe tropical fruit, strawberry, lychee, and white peach with undertones of guava and mango that pairs well with hop-forward beer styles. At the lower end of the temperature range, I10 tends to be more expressive than A43.

https://homebrewing.org/products/imperial-yeast-i10-mangosteeni?sca_ref=1844433.Un0KRznlx3

I went with Simcoe @ whirlpool, and Nectaron® dry hops. It's fermenting at ~80°F, far less active than normal ale yeast at much lower temps.

This is my first high-temp fermentation. Chilling required very little water even in summertime, and my fermentation chamber fridge hardly runs in the hot garage. Should be ready for first taste in a couple of weeks.

I went with Simcoe @ whirlpool, and Nectaron® dry hops. It's fermenting at ~80°F, far less active than normal ale yeast at much lower temps.

This is my first high-temp fermentation. Chilling required very little water even in summertime, and my fermentation chamber fridge hardly runs in the hot garage. Should be ready for first taste in a couple of weeks.
Interesting. Please report back when it's ready.

How did your Mangosteeni NEIPA turn out? I was thinking of using it with El Dorado Lupomax and Barbe Rouge in a NEIPA myself, but I haven't seen a single review since its release in June!

Initially, bitterness (or hop burn) largely concealed the character of the yeast (and whirlpool/dry hops), but they've started to shine through. I had a pint of Mangosteeni at Stickmen Brewing in Tualatin that had less forward bitterness. Neither mine nor theirs had knock-your-sox-off fruit character.

I won't likely buy the overpriced Nectaron hops again, but might try the Mangosteeni in a future NEIPA/Hazy, or even a simple pale ale.

Please post your impressions when you be one.

Initially, bitterness (or hop burn) largely concealed the character of the yeast (and whirlpool/dry hops), but they've started to shine through. I had a pint of Mangosteeni at Stickmen Brewing in Tualatin that had less forward bitterness. Neither mine nor theirs had knock-your-sox-off fruit character.

I won't likely buy the overpriced Nectaron hops again, but might try the Mangosteeni in a future NEIPA/Hazy, or even a simple pale ale.

Please post your impressions when you be one.
Interesting. I've heard a lot of the same from some other new yeasts out there (Omega Sundew comes to mind, though I actually love that yeast). How was your haze? Imperial's website designates Mangosteeni as "High" for haze.

Definite haze. Not opaque like a café au lait hefeweizen, but plenty hazy.

Myself, I don't really need haze - it's more really about aroma & flavor.

I used 7 lbs. pale malt and 1 pound each of Pilsner malt, white wheat malt, golden naked oats, and rolled (aka quick) oats for 5 gallons in the fermenter.

I used it in a hazy a few months back. Long story short: it was awesome. The esters were lovely and really complimented the hops. Only issue is that it took forever to get the hop burn out, but that was definitely my fault there. I still remember bringing in some to share with coworkers post-shift and one coworker who doesn't drink beer kept shouting "THIS SMELLS GOOD AS HELL".

Definitely want to use it again down the road, maybe with belma and barbe rouge to really get those berry notes out.

Latest posts

Back