Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also be reticent about drilling holes (regardless of diameter) through the skin of a modern chest freezer. You can try the alcohol and corn starch trick and pray to whatever deity you hold dear that you won't nick the condenser tubing (or if you drill way too deep, the evaporator tubing) but I'd be inclined to seek an alternative...

Cheers!

I'm wondering exactly this. I'd like to mount my CO2 tank outside of the freezer, but I'm scared to hit the coolant lines...

Good info guys on the tape.
I don't want to drill any holes in the freezer because its new and still "under warranty". Reason why its still white and not painted black.

I've thought about adding two hanging wooden strips attached to the collier and also to the box. I don't know yet.

No bottle cap catcher planned.

FYI: Harbor Freight magnets work great. My tray will hold 3 full pints w/o problem:

Nice set-up!
Believe it or not but I am using three magnets from HF. Im using the 25 lbs ones.
For some reason mine dont hold all that well.

Looks like you are using the largest size ones.

I did go with the largest ones they had. The drip tray gets pulled out of hands when I get about an inch away from the keezer.

How about drilling the hole for the co2 through the wood collar?

I'm not a huge fan of the wooden collar which is why I have a tower. So I either drill through the top (no thanks), gamble the side, or put the tank inside.

A friend had 2 mid-sized commercial fridges for sale. I bought them both and turned one into a kegerator and will use the other for a fermentation chamber. The fridge will hold 5 kegs or 4 kegs and a CO2 tank. Right now I only have 4 faucets so I measured out 5 faucets but only drilled 4. When I need another faucet I'll move the tank outside and add a faucet.

I have Perlick 525SS faucets and I replaced the o-rings since they started leaking after being in storage for a couple years.

It's not very exciting but it's nice to be brewing again.

attachment.php

I'm not a huge fan of the wooden collar which is why I have a tower. So I either drill through the top (no thanks), gamble the side, or put the tank inside.

You can drill through the lid from the back and connect to the home for your tower, that's what I did with my keezer

1408828612797.jpg

Could the freezer be controlled seperatly, for a small fermenation chamber?

Generally no...they both use the same compressor. Theoretically you could use freezer side for serving and fridge side for fermentation. But accurate control of both sides will not happen, you'd have to get lucky that the difference fit with your preference for drinking temp and recipe.

Anybody have any trick to successfully drilling into the size of a freezer without chance of hitting any of the lines? I don't want to have to use a collar and would rather keep my co2 outside of the freezer.

Anybody have any trick to successfully drilling into the size of a freezer without chance of hitting any of the lines? I don't want to have to use a collar and would rather keep my co2 outside of the freezer.

Use a tower, nothing in the lid but insulation! Also you can drill into the lid from the back and run your co2 line in that way. Mine connects with the hole I cut for the tower so everything enters at one place.

Use a tower, nothing in the lid but insulation! Also you can drill into the lid from the back and run your co2 line in that way. Mine connects with the hole I cut for the tower so everything enters at one place.

I've got a tower and that's where I've got my taps runnings, so my main concern was just the CO2 line. I hadn't thought about running it through the back of the lid though. Do you have any pictures of how you did that?

Here's what I'm working with.

No it works great and has for years. they way the hinges are, the hose clears the freezer body fine even fully opened. plus, even if it didn't, its flexible. I've had this set up for a few years and never had any issues.

The faucet on the side is hooked directly to the manifold to purge growlers with co2 and the freezer next to the keezer serves as a lagering chamber, commercial beer fridge, or extra ferm chamber as needs be.

^ooo I like that! Is that whiteboard paint? The chalk stuff doesn't really appeal to me much, but that looks cool!

p.s. Grist!!!

^ooo I like that! Is that whiteboard paint? The chalk stuff doesn't really appeal to me much, but that looks cool!

p.s. Grist!!!

It's just chalkboard paint, but my wife uses chalk ink markers on it to get a lot cleaner lines. It also won't wipe off without a wet rag. She's the only person I know that gets excited about a kicked keg so she can write the next one on the keezer.

I think the need to build your own kegerator tends to follow on with the need to make our own beer, it just makes it so much more worth it.

Plus, I have a two tap kegerator just like that one which I built for under half what that costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 on spending about half that on my keezer. Granted, I get a steal on 3 corney kegs, CO2, and a triple tower. Brand new freezer set me back $170 and now I've got a super nice/clean setup still way under that.

DIY FTW

Here's my portable one for my eventual wedding, disassembles amd flat packs for storage/transport. Holds five kegs plus tank. Well need a lot of ice to stay cold, but is insulated.

That is excellent! I eventually would like a portable system but I don't think I will put that much effort into it... or maybe now I will :mug:

Back