Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend and I are about to tag team a kegerator/keezer build and I'm just trying to get as smart as possible on it prior to beginning. We will probably try and keep it simple/cheap for this first one to get our mistakes out of the way and probably turn around and sell it to help fund our dream machines. Any suggestions? I'm looking for sites/stores which sell the parts I need to convert a freezer/fridge/mini fridge. I would also appreciate a rough estimate of total investment but honestly anything would be useful. Thank you everyone.

from my experience... think about how much you homebrew and how much your beer disappears. When I had 2 kegs max on my fridge I thought it would be a small amount... turns out my beer goes quick enough I rarely have both kegs populated at the same time. Also with co2 ran outside I got 3 kegs in.

also consider the other side uses of the fridge. I use my fridge to also hold spare hops and occasionally yeast. I use it also for cold crashing. I modified mine to add a simple programmable temperature relay control. I see a lot of folks doing that, and I get it. It does make life easier.

One big tip... I learned the hard way. Invest in Perlicks. 40 bucks for the faucets... but you'll have to buy em in the end anyways no matter what you do.

Over all costs are basically,

shanks, faucets, drip tray, drill bits, relay / controller ( pricy and you can avoid this for now ), fridge itself, co2 tank, regulator, tubes / lines / electrical ( depending ).

I started thinking I'd sink maybe 300 on my fridge and another 200 in parts. I've probably sunk 800 total on the thing. Just to get it to where I am happy with it. I'll probably sink some more on it just for the enjoyment of working on it.

Atleast now I don't feel like the only one with an excessively large kegerator. My new project I am working on. 10 tap tower, on a long draw glycol chilled system in the basement, with the three door cooler in the garage.

Dude nice! i only have three taps now but seeing this makes me realize how much more I could actually do with my cooler.

Atli126 and openfly, thanks so much for the information. Do you think that a budget of $250 is plausible? I was thinking $50 for fridge and $200ish for equipment. I want to keep it to the bare essentials so I know what is needed vs what is wanted. This first run is solely for trial and error of the necessary components, assuming fridge, taps, co2, lines, possible temp control if we convert a freezer, and co2 gauge, and of course the keg/beer. I don't want to include the beer in the budget bc as we all know, price will varry. This list is mostly based on the components I have read on this thread which are present in all the builds I could find.

Atli126 and openfly, thanks so much for the information. Do you think that a budget of $250 is plausible? I was thinking $50 for fridge and $200ish for equipment. I want to keep it to the bare essentials so I know what is needed vs what is wanted. This first run is solely for trial and error of the necessary components, assuming fridge, taps, co2, lines, possible temp control if we convert a freezer, and co2 gauge, and of course the keg/beer. I don't want to include the beer in the budget bc as we all know, price will varry. This list is mostly based on the components I have read on this thread which are present in all the builds I could find.

$200 will get you started if you already have kegs... I've been pricing mine and for 4 picnic taps, 5lb bottle, manifold and all lines, inn looking at $250... More if I get the faucets instead. And I already have the temp controller and fridge. I priced mine at Homebrewstuff.com

I don't know how everyone's gas supplier works. But it was much easier for me to just go start a ticket with them. It was 80 for the first filled bottle and 7 plus tax for trade ins. I never bought my own bottle since they are just going to take it and give you one that's filled already. Without the temp controller my first 2 keg kegerator ran me about 60 for taps and shanks. About 10 for the hose and I went to lowes to build my "manifold". I got a brass y and found the shutoffs in the compressor parts section for about 2 bucks and some change a piece. So it was around 12 for that. So I was up and running for about 175. I found my kegs online from a guy in Florida that sells reconditioned kegs for 35 a piece and 40 flat for shipping so it's actually cheaper to buy more than 1 at a time. My danby fridge ran 190 from bestbuy with free shipping. So 475 in all. Then I put in a cold only temp controller (stc1000 knock off) for 12. So 487+ tax where applicable.

Edit: forgot about the regulator. That was an additional 40 bucks.…

See how fast it adds up.

Coebra, if nothing else, thank you for the confidence boost. I think I should be able to find some kegs. I have a friend into home brewing and he would, if nothing else, point me in the right direction

Wbarber69, I totally see what you mean. I see a couple of spots in your listing that I think I can save some cash on and thank you for being so thorough.

c0qG0mw.jpg

just some halloween fun. 3d printed some pumpkin tap handles.

THAT is about the coolest thing I have ever seen.

It was 80 for the first filled bottle and 7 plus tax for trade ins. I never bought my own bottle since they are just going to take it and give you one that's filled already.

I found a local fire extinguisher place that will fill bottles. They said I might have to leave it for a day or two if they are backed up but most times they well fill it on the spot. My LHBS does trades but I wouldn't want to give up a nice new shiny bottle for a beat up one in return. I have my propane filled too for this reason. A lot cheaper that way.

I just completed mine. It's a 5-tap coffin keezer with stainless tile top and a stainless steel backsplash. I etched my home brewery logo (last name is Tjart... not too creative with my brewery name) using the electrolytic acid etching described in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-add-permanent-volume-markings-kettle-illustrated-463099/
The lighting is RGB LED tape with a remote controller that lets me chose a wide array of colors, or use settings that cycle through all colors softly.

Here it is:
20141024_170909-64076.jpg

20141024_170951-64077.jpg

20141024_171041-64078.jpg

The coffin box looks lighter than the rest of the unit but its just the lighting. I used the same stain throughout, but the plywood panelling turned out slightly darker which provides an interesting contrast.

I found a local fire extinguisher place that will fill bottles. They said I might have to leave it for a day or two if they are backed up but most times they well fill it on the spot. My LHBS does trades but I wouldn't want to give up a nice new shiny bottle for a beat up one in return. I have my propane filled too for this reason. A lot cheaper that way.

I get mine traded at a welding/supply shop. I've only gotten 1 that wasn't pretty. Most of them have been brand new and most of those have been ones that other homebrewers bought from the top homebrew shops we all use online, they even have labels to prove it.

Beat up bottles are a small price to pay to not have to have a bottle sent off for hydro testing every 5 years. Sure new if pretty... but if its hidden, who cares?

Beat up bottles are a small price to pay to not have to have a bottle sent off for hydro testing every 5 years. Sure new if pretty... but if its hidden, who cares?

Hmmm maybe. I'll have to see what the exchange cost is then

Pretty sure the 5 year thing is only for older bottles. If I remember correctly bottles made after 2009 have to be hydro'd every 3 years.

Pretty sure the 5 year thing is only for older bottles. If I remember correctly bottles made after 2009 have to be hydro'd every 3 years.

Then thats worse. My exchange fee for a 5lb cylinder is $23. If I went up to a 10lb cylinder it would be $26. Most of the cost is involved in government fees and taxes and fill fees. The gas is nearly free. 50lb tank is only $52 for exchange. Shame I dont have room or need for a 50lb cylinder.

Very nice.

Are those two wooden shelves connected in any way? With my luck, I'd knock it over pulling out the kegs. I know I'm overly cautious, but I'd shoot a couple of screws up through the shelf part of bottom one into the legs of the top one. Probably pre-drill it so it doesn't split the wood. Just the first thing that popped into my head when seeing it.

I never knew these tanks needed to be hydro-tested. Since I bought mine used, I pulled it out and looked at the markings. Fortunately it was last hydroed 10/13...

But the date of manufacture on the tank is 1960!!! :eek::eek::eek: This tank is only a few years younger than my parents!

It may be old, but at least it's proven durable!

Nice! Show us pics once you get it unpackaged!

Since I added a fourth tap onto my kegerator, my homemade charcoal starter drip tray had to go. I ordered a 12" x 6" drip tray from www.hopgoblin.com and it came in today.

20141027_184144-XL.jpg

By the way, if anyone is looking for inexpensive drip trays, give hopgoblin a look. This one cost me $28 including shipping. The service was great, and shipping was quick. They were backordered when I ordered, but he kept me up to date via email about the status... And most importantly, I got a new sticker for my kegerator! :mug:

20141027_184121-XL.jpg

My two tap keezer. The wife let me move it into the dining room, and she gets to decorate. I'll take that trade!

1414528197453.jpg

the SWMBO helped with the stain and painting our family crest on the front...what a family project, huh?
kegerator

Inside is the typical Frigidaire build, complete with copper pipes over the beer tubes. On the left is my ESB, and on the right is a smoked porter. Life is good!

Dude, this is the nicest dorm fridge convert I've seen, great work.

Very nice.

Are those two wooden shelves connected in any way? With my luck, I'd knock it over pulling out the kegs. I know I'm overly cautious, but I'd shoot a couple of screws up through the shelf part of bottom one into the legs of the top one. Probably pre-drill it so it doesn't split the wood. Just the first thing that popped into my head when seeing it.

Yes they are connected and also very temporary! I need to figure out something better but was in a rush I did it in the middle of brewing a batch and watching my 3 month old son LOL it was a very hectic day to say the least!

Yes they are connected and also very temporary! I need to figure out something better but was in a rush I did it in the middle of brewing a batch and watching my 3 month old son LOL it was a very hectic day to say the least!
I know how that goes.

If nothing else, I'd stick some sort of plywood/sheeting/cardboard on the side of those shelves for the time being to prevent any depressed bottles from making the leap off the edge.

Shred, this is beautiful.do you have a thread for the actual build?

Thanks! Sorry, I don't. It was kind of a design as I go type build. Lot's of stuff I'd do differently if I were to build it again, but I'm happy with it anyway.

Back