Shipping Homebrew - The Hard Truth (as I understand it)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have what, 10/12 posts outside of this thread? Now you're here to campaign on behalf of the community, even though to any extent you haven't really been a part of the community in any other capacity? Have the conversation in a less public format. Read your responses. The community supports the practice as it stands.

Your comment is valid and useful feedback. Perhaps I am way off-base with my position, but as a relative newcomer to the community, and given my disposition, I wanted to raise the question. The first time I looked into shipping my homebrew, it caused me to wonder what direction, if any, this matter is taking. So from yours' and everyone else's responses I've learned that everyone is happy with the status quo. I didn't set out to upset the apple cart.

And please don't judge my belonging to the community, by the number of posts in these forums. Just consider me a "late bloomer" who's been reinvigorated by attending last week's NHC.

If you deem violating that corporate policy as such a moral affront you need to whistle-blow it on a public forum, well then you are doing exactly the worst possible thing for the community, you're throwing it under the bus.

I like to be active in any community I feel part of... I started this thread to get on the road to becoming an active member... I certainly didn't intend for it to be received as flaming or throwing the community under the bus, though it clearly looks that way, now. So for that I apologize.

My intentions were to have this conversation for the future health of a community I look forward to belonging to for many years to come..., not to offend or incite.

When has the cost, ever stopped the US government from doing anything?

I really don't mean this as a political statement at all. This is more a warning to anything just assuming nothing will happen if I get caught.

My father works for the post office and has for over 25 years. The amount of stuff they do, with complete disregard for the cost, is astounding. The most recent is eliminating an 8 hour shift, moving those workers to other shifts, then making everyone work the over time to cover it. So, instead of just paying regular wages for an 8 hour shift, they think it's more cost saving to pay everyone 8 hours over time for that extra shift. No one lost their jobs, they all just get to make over time money now.

Again, the reason I say this is as a warning. If you think the cost will stop the post office from doing anything, you are wrong. Now, they may not want to bother themselves with it, but money would not be the issue.[/QUOT

It is generally cheaper to pay overtime to workers than to hire additional workers due to the additional cost of benefits. In my fire department it has been calculated to be about 10% cheaper to fill vacancies with overtime.

Back