Setting mill gap with common household items

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance

Reaction score
I'm borrowing a mill from my LHC in an attempt to fix my efficiency woes. It's a barley crusher with adjustable gap. I don't have easy access to a caliper or anything to set my gap - what should I set it to, and how should I measure that gap?

Folding a crisp dollar bill in half three times will yield right around 0.040", which will be a good starting point. Barley Crusher sends their mills out with a default gap of 0.039", so this will get you very close to the factory gap.

Take a short stack of regular credit (or playing) cards, measure the total thickness. Divide by the number of cards. That's the thickness of each card.

A regular credit card is around 0.034", a good start.
You can go down to around 0.028-0.030" for barley (sand off the credit card). Wheat, rye (small kernels) and flaked goods down to 0.024-0.026".

With BIAB you can go down a bit more, the mesh bag is your filter.

Yep...smooth gift card has worked perfect for me for years. Insert card between rollers and tighten till the rollers move when you pull on the card with minimal force

I think the playing cards are gonna be my way to go. Thanks everyone! Excited to see if this finally fixes my lack of efficiency.

You mean they make tools for that sort of thing?! I've always thought the was what credit cards were for! :)

You use the credit card to buy the feeler gauge. Then you have the ability to measure different mill gaps.
I'd probably adjust by feel. Put some grain in and try to mill it. If it goes through, tighten the gap until you have trouble getting the grain to go through, then open it just a smidge.

Back