milling rye malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I plan to brew a rye ipa this weekend and I am wondering how people are milling rye, as in gap setting. Seems as though it is pretty small and I can adjust my mill pretty far, any suggestions?

Absolutely, adjust the gap to the kernel size.

I always set the gap tighter for small kernel grain:
0.034" regular barley malt
0.025" wheat malt and flaked goods
0.019" rye, oat malt, flaked goods, etc.

So I generally have to reset the gap once per milling session, small > wide or wide > small.
Thinking about it, I guess I could mill all the smaller kernel grain and flaked goods on 0.019"...

Now, I often mill for 2 or more batches, so it's not that bad.

I use a 2-roller Monster Mill (MM2, 1.5" rollers), fairly easy to adjust.
And I've put some grease on the locking bolts' threads. ;)

Sounds great, thanks for the info. I always adjust for different sizes as well but never milled rye before. Based on what you posted I should be good at where I crush my oat malt. My wife got me the SSbrewtech grain mill which I love, the gap settings on it are a little different then a standard mill which I know where to set it for different grains now after running some tests.

That BrewTech is an awesome mill, would probably my choice too if I had to buy new.
Are you doing BIAB mashing?

FWIW, I use a converted cooler mash tun, with a slotted CPVC manifold on the bottom. Batch sparging 2x.
I've noticed crush quality and fineness is not all that important as long as it's crushed well.

Now with a large % of wheat and more so with rye, lautering is slow, agonizingly at times, even with ample rice hulls added.
Adding boiling water and lots of stirring helps to increase the flow.

That BrewTech is an awesome mill, would probably my choice too if I had to buy new.
Are you doing BIAB mashing?

FWIW, I use a converted cooler mash tun, with a slotted CPVC manifold on the bottom. Batch sparging 2x.
I've noticed crush quality and fineness is not all that important as long as it's crushed well.

Now with a large % of wheat and more so with rye, lautering is slow, agonizingly at times, even with ample rice hulls added.
Adding boiling water and lots of stirring helps to increase the flow.
I ALWAYS see at least a 5% drop in efficiency when using a decent percentage of rye or wheat. Do you?
I think I'm crushing pretty fine, but maybe not fine enough. Gap is set to about a credit card width.

I ALWAYS see at least a 5% drop in efficiency when using a decent percentage of rye or wheat. Do you?
I think I'm crushing pretty fine, but maybe not fine enough. Gap is set to about a credit card width.
No, I don't see a drop in efficiency, even at 50% of the grist.
I do 2 equal volume (batch) sparges, though. The total amount of sparge water is the same as the mash, minus grist absorption.

A regular credit card would be around 0.034". That's a bit too wide for wheat and rye, at least on my 2-roller mill, they'd go mostly uncrushed.
Maybe try 0.022-0.025" and see if it improves?

No, I don't see a drop in efficiency, even at 50% of the grist.
I do 2 equal volume (batch) sparges, though. The total amount of sparge water is the same as the mash, minus grist absorption.

A regular credit card would be around 0.034". That's a bit too wide for wheat and rye, at least on my 2-roller mill, they'd go mostly uncrushed.
Maybe try 0.022-0.025" and see if it improves?
I do have a barley crusher as a backup mill now and maybe I'll plan to just use that for rye and wheat with the gap closed as tight as it will go. Not sure what that is.

Gap is set to about a credit card width.

On my Cereal Killer that's barley territory at an .032" gap. And your card could be way thicker than that.
I use my old Barley Crusher (with the reversed rollers) for oat malt, wheat malt, and rye malt with an .025" gap set.

btw, always use feeler gauges. I posted a survey of the ~10 cards in my wallet a month or two ago on a similar thread and there was a profound range of thicknesses...

Cheers!

On my Cereal Killer that's barley territory at an .032" gap. And your card could be way thicker than that.
I use my old Barley Crusher (with the reversed rollers) for oat malt, wheat malt, and rye malt with an .025" gap set.

btw, always use feeler gauges. I posted a survey of the ~10 cards in my wallet a month or two ago on a similar thread and there was a profound range of thicknesses...

Cheers!
Thanks for the info. I used to have some feeler gauges. I should pick up some new...

Thanks for the info. I used to have some feeler gauges. I should pick up some new...
Or use calipers and start measuring those credit cards and other thin flat plastic objects ...
I use the (thin) fake American Express credit cards they used to send in the mail by the dozen. They gap nicely at 0.025. :)

Latest posts

Back