Does this look like a suitable grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy123

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering a grain mill and found this used one online. Seller doesn't know anything about it, and I don't know anything about grain mills, let alone motorized ones. Can you tell whether or not this might be a suitable grain mill? If so, can you tell me what should I look for (such a adjustable gap for the rollers) before buying?

I have that mill (or one that looks just like it.) It works well, and the geared roller drive is a big plus. It mills slowly, but you can load it up and walk away to do something else while it does its thing. An advantage to the slow speed is that it doesn't shred the husks, even at narrow gap settings (yes the gap is adjustable.)

Brew on :mug:

For $90 I could not pass it up, seller was only a few miles away. The mill seems to have never been used. Rollers are shiny and feel sharp. Plastic film was still on the hopper sheet metal and they had never been slipped together. It has a "forward" and "reverse" switch, not sure why I'd use reverse except for maybe clearing a jam. Rollers are in fact adjustable and are locked with a jamb nut. It sits neatly atop a 5-gallon bucket although I will put a second bucket under the motor end so it doesn't tip over while grinding.

Time to grab my calipers and gap the rollers. I brew using BIAB so I am taking suggestions for the gap. Note - I cannot do "as close as they'll go" because I can bring them so close a piece of notecard won't go through (.008" measured with my calipers). Can hardly wait to mill and brew my next batch!

IMG_3419.jpg

For $90 I could not pass it up, seller was only a few miles away. The mill seems to have never been used. Rollers are shiny and feel sharp. Plastic film was still on the hopper sheet metal and they had never been slipped together. It has a "forward" and "reverse" switch, not sure why I'd use reverse except for maybe clearing a jam. Rollers are in fact adjustable and are locked with a jamb nut. It sits neatly atop a 5-gallon bucket although I will put a second bucket under the motor end so it doesn't tip over while grinding.

Time to grab my calipers and gap the rollers. I brew using BIAB so I am taking suggestions for the gap. Note - I cannot do "as close as they'll go" because I can bring them so close a piece of notecard won't go through (.008" measured with my calipers). Can hardly wait to mill and brew my next batch!

View attachment 836441
Looks like a decent to good mill.
Just a note on the FWD/REV option. Be aware that some mills when reversed will pass unmilled grain through into the collection vessel. Not a fault, just good to know.

I've got mine set to .030", I think it works perfectly. Good efficiency, grains are clearly crushed, very little flour. All subjective of course, but perhaps a good place to start.

I read a lot about "credit card gap" and when I measured a card with a mic it's actually really close to that 0.030" mentioned, .032" if I remember.

It sits neatly atop a 5-gallon bucket although I will put a second bucket under the motor end so it doesn't tip over while grinding.

Time to grab my calipers and gap the rollers. I brew using BIAB so I am taking suggestions for the gap.
I use the two bucket support method with mine.

I also BIAB, and have my mill set at 0.022" gap.

Brew on :mug:

Nice score at a great price!

I BIAB and I currently have the rollers on my Hullwrecker set to .028" but I'm thinking of closing mine down to .025" - that will handle almost any variety of grain that I mill without having to re-adjust the rollers.

View attachment 836441
That's a steal for $90!

Back