Efficiency for higher gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I'm definitely happy with the way it came out. Not sure why I had a little more wort than calculated. But I can live with it.

I'm second guessing my organic vanilla beans they are small. I feel like I'm gonna need 4 of these suckers. To equal to 2 regular ones lol

Thanks. I'm definitely happy with the way it came out. Not sure why I had a little more wort than calculated. But I can live with it.
Might have squeezed / let it drain a little more than your calculator expected. It works, you can just boil a few minutes longer. It's rarely perfect unless you've got a method you use time and again and a recipe you copy each time as well, at least regarding pounds of grain.

Depending on your calculator you might be able to adjust how much water is left behind in the grain. But keep in mind it depends how much grain you have, bigger grain bills being harder to squeeze, it won't be one-size-fits-all.

I'm assuming you used a calculator of course.

Might have squeezed / let it drain a little more than your calculator expected. It works, you can just boil a few minutes longer. It's rarely perfect unless you've got a method you use time and again and a recipe you copy each time as well, at least regarding pounds of grain.

Depending on your calculator you might be able to adjust how much water is left behind in the grain. But keep in mind it depends how much grain you have, bigger grain bills being harder to squeeze, it won't be one-size-fits-all.

I'm assuming you used a calculator of course.
Beersmith.

Just woke up and was going to burst more O2 into it but it's already bubbling out the blowoff. So I guess that's a no go anymore.

@day_trippr do the nibs soak and absorb the rum. I barely had them covered and now it's like it evaporated some even though mason jar and air tight lid. Might need to add more rum

I believe it's a combination of time for the booze to fully wet all the nib bits, and actual absorption. I always just cover the nibs 'n' beans at first, and the next day I always have to add a bit to re-cover everything...

Cheers!

I believe it's a combination of time for the booze to fully wet all the nib bits, and actual absorption. I always just cover the nibs 'n' beans at first, and the next day I always have to add a bit to re-cover everything...

Cheers!
Exactly what I just did! Thanks. I shake it Everytime I walk by it and also open to smell it. So far smells like dark rum lol.

So far there is no sign of it slowing down!
Screenshot_20240114-191350.png

Wow that's a fast fermentation. What yeast strain did you use?
Dry s-04 per the recipe

It was going crazy 11 hours after pitching. I didn't even get a chance to dose second batch of pure O2 15 hours after pitch

Right now: est 1.024

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115-092943.png
    Screenshot_20240115-092943.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
Expect an element of yeast barm affecting this reading for accuracy but not trend.
I was hoping it finished at 1.025ish. So hopefully it's slightly off do to the foam. Chocolate stout. We don't want it super dry

Bubbles definitely slowed down from yesterday's vigorous fermentation so it's slowing down

Last edited:
Holy moly. @day_trippr this gonna be 4oz and I'm gonna be drunk from alc% haha
Never assume a tilt type hydrometer reading is accurate. They should only be trusted for showing trends, and when fermentation is finished. Use a hydrometer to get an accurate FG.

Brew on :mug:

Never assume a tilt type hydrometer reading is accurate. They should only be trusted for showing trends, and when fermentation is finished. Use a hydrometer to get an accurate FG.

Brew on :mug:
Yea I have my easydens but I won't even test it until it's been a full 7 days.

When I didn't have a raptPill, I didn't test until the beer is beginning to clear. By then fermentation has long since been finished. Even with a raptPill I don't test until then with a real hydrometer. However if you intend to cold crash, you probably should get a sample to test the SG when anything else indicates that fermentation might be finished.

Because "Hazies Hate Oxygen" I have taken to not opening fermentors until it's time for dry hopping, so I don't have any idea how the yeast are doing except by how much CO2 is bubbling out the end of my keg purging setup. I have a brew I started last Wednesday (with 1318) that is still blowing bubbles every 15 seconds or so, and the batch I pitched Sunday (with BRY-97) which really just hit its stride early this morning (Chico related strains are just lazy. I blame California Living ;))

I won't know how they did until it's time to dry hop them when I will take the first (and likely only) gravity samples. If someone ever comes up with a "Pill" that a 6.5g Italian glass carboy can choke down, I may get one :)

Cheers!

Because "Hazies Hate Oxygen" I have taken to not opening fermentors until it's time for dry hopping, so I don't have any idea how the yeast are doing except by how much CO2 is bubbling out the end of my keg purging setup. I have a brew I started last Wednesday (with 1318) that is still blowing bubbles every 15 seconds or so, and the batch I pitched Sunday (with BRY-97) which really just hit its stride early this morning (Chico related strains are just lazy. I blame California Living ;))

I won't know how they did until it's time to dry hop them when I will take the first (and likely only) gravity samples. If someone ever comes up with a "Pill" that a 6.5g Italian glass carboy can choke down, I may get one :)

Cheers!
How long will it take for yeast to drop so I can drop trub/yeast out port. I'm used to cold crashing. It's easy. But since stout isn't a big carbonation. I have it fermenting under 8psi. So 1.3 for carbing. I'm thinking of cold crashing to dump everything then letting it slowly rise back up to 60 or so so I can then dry hop the nibs/vanilla/rum tincture.or just leave it at 68 for 2 weeks and hope it compacts so I can use the dump port. I poured some out the unitank port just to see a visual. It's thickkkkk. Full of yeast still. I put it in fridge to see if it would separate and barely. Check it out. But smells good.

I've cold crashed every single batch. So I never done it naturally so I have no idea how long it will take to compact down and clear so I can dump it
PXL_20240116_234604441.MP.jpg
im getting excited

Last edited:
Ooogy! :p

I do a full 14 days in primary then rack to a fresh carboy with the marinated nibs and beans and dark rum already tossed in. Give it a gentle swirling to mix, then I leave it for a full week at our cellar temperature (right around 60°F) to settle before kegging. And the primary does compact. It's the cocoa that takes longest to drop and that makes for a thick pudding on the bottom of fermentor to rack above...

Cheers!

On the subject of gravity, I see the beer ferment, I see fermentation stop, I see the yeast fall out of suspension, then I keg. Once I'm serving it I finally check gravity.

(I let the sample sit on the counter overnight with cling wrap on it so the CO2 comes out and it gets to room temp)

And some alcohol as well.
Hence the cling wrap (w/ a rubber band)

Yes, some comes out, but I've found it to make very little if any noticeable difference. I've tried some faster methods - shaking it to get the CO2 out, microwaving it to get to room temp quickly, and so one and all the readings aren't much different from each other.

I'll have to try it again on the next brew and document it. Only thing on tap right now is an Imperial Stout and it's too yummy to waste.

I'll plan on letting it sit full days. And when I know for sure ferm is done. I'll put it at 69-60 and just let it sit the full 2 weeks before I attempt to dump yeast/trub.

I thought the tilts can fit inside a glass carboy mouth? The rapt certainly can’t but I like it otherwise.

Supposedly at least one model of Tilt can fit. From measuring all six and looking for minimums (checking a few angles on each) my carboys have a 29mm minimum throat diameter, while the base model Tilts are 28.6mm.

But the cheapest Tilt is now $144 w/tax and that's the one that needs the most help to be "heard" (vs the Pro and Pro mini with more robust transmission abilities - and at a cost up to $170 + tax). Most likely would have to cobble together a Tilt Bridge.

tbh I've gotten along for almost 20 years without using an in-fermentor hydrometer and am unlikely to spend $144 or more for one now :)

Cheers!

I’d rather add some DME or use a lot more malt than boil for 2- 3 hours. But that’s just my preference. Even with lots of malt/poor efficiency. probably still can’t get to 25p with an hour boil- unless the mash is THICCC

well its done bubbling.. im leaving it at 68* through sunday then ill move the temp to 59ish to sit for remainder of all next week to compress the yeast so i can dump ill take a gravity reading when clear beer comes out the sampling port. and once i dump the yeast and its clear in sight glass. Ill dump the nibs and vanilla in!. meantime its sitting at 8psi carbing to 1.3

Just put the unitank on 59* for remainder of life inside the unitank to help drop trub/yeast before tincture gets dropped it. I have the unitank on 4.5psi I figure 1.27ish carb. After kegging and maybe losing a little I will be close to @day_trippr 1.2 volume

We also got a slight problem. My easydens is reading 1.015. Consistently. That's way outta wack to the 1.025 we thought

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240121-104640.png
    Screenshot_20240121-104640.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ahhh so clear. About 5.5g sitting in fermenter after dumping all the crud..
Still sitting just over 4psi at 58degrees. For this entire week. Then Friday or Saturday morning. The nibs/vanilla are going in for a full week or so.
PXL_20240123_190731744.jpg

Today I'm kegging it. I have the beergas finally. Gonna measure out the 1oz chocolate extract. For the 5g keg. And then slowly transfer the stout into the keg fill it to top. Then put in fridge. Let the pressure out fully and blast it with the proper psi of 25/75 beergas as it chills to 36*

I plan to have it at 34 psi at 36 degrees
Ended up way more alcohol than I wanted at 11.5-11.6. Plus the dark rum that went in with nibs. Drinking it out unitank at 58*. It runs boozy lol but I think chilling it will calm it down. I hope.

Also last question once I get it to 36* and get it on my gas at 34* how long does it have to sit like that to pour and have that nitro cascade effect. Does nitrogen need to get into the beer? Or is it just a pressure effect so should be instant??

So thick at the end of kegging I didn't get 5 gallons. Maybe 4. It was like chocolate ice cream texture. It was clogging my filter. Like putty. So 4g will have to do. Well see how that ends up in my keg though. Hopefully it dispenses

Depending on how it tastes. I might delete the cocoa powder all together. And just brew it

Last edited:
You want it at about 12psi for a while with co2, then once it's carbonated after a few weeks, you put the beer gas on it and use a nitro faucet.

"Don't do that" :oops:

If dispensed through an actual stout faucet using the typically recommended 30-35 psi the beer cannot be carbonated much above 1.2 volumes otherwise one ends up with more foam in the glass than beer. At 12 psi the beer had better be carbonated at around 80°F!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/
Cheers!

Back