Adjustable three roller mill - Top mill gap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidman

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been using a three roller mill that has the ability to adjust the non driven roller as well as the bottom roller. Just had a brew session with really poor efficiency and thought I would go back to check the settings. I adjust the lower roller closest to the driven roller at .39 or credit card spacing. I am having a hard time finding and instructions or readings on the gap between the top two rollers as it looks like most of the monster mills are fixed. I am guessing too tight and it will bind and too loose, you might not get the benefit of the extra roller. Anyone have a suggestion on gap spacing between the top 2 rollers? TIA

To find out if the top gap really is useless or not, you can open up the adjustable gap as wide as it can go and just run a handfull of malt through the top gap. If it's completely untouched, the first stage is failing to do anything. Beware though. It may not be completely obvious because that first stage is to just crack the internal structures so that the husk is less likely to shred on the tighter gap to follow.

.039 is too wide on a 3 roller. Even on a 2 roller, I'd recommend somewhere between .030 and .035 and a three roller can definitely go lower. Try .028"

On my Monster Mill MM-3, I set the bottom gap at 0.033" after some experimenting. And the fixed gap on the top roller pair is 0.050".

I describe my experiment, if you're curious, as part of this review I did on the MM-3.
Thanks for this. I did read your review and appreciated it. Can I ask you one other thing, what are your dimensions for the mm3 base. Like H x W x D. I am trying to compare my set up to the mm3 in hopes to use their hopper. Thanks again!

Back