See Chart- Is my water good for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can run most any water through a standard filter and it's fine for brewing. There are additions you can make to make the water more to style for brews with historically traditional water profiles, like Newcastle, Guiness, etc., but it's not like any average municipal water source is going to produce subpar beer.

Most brewers use one of these guys to filter out heavy elements and clorine, including some commercial brewers I know, and that will do the trick:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=40hGUP_dBKSQ2gXgvoDQDA&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAA#

Anyway, moral of the story is really don't overthink it. Unless you are drawing off well water or want to artificially match a historic or geographical water profile, it's not that important to modify your water. RO or spring water from the store should produce about the same results as filtered tap water from your hose at home.

TopherM - Thanks for your help. I used about half tap and half RO because I bought the stuff. I think it'll make for some tasty beer. It was my first beer by the way I got a partial mash Dead Ringer IPA kit from Northern Brewer. I'm hooked.

Back