Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thawk86CO

Reaction score
So, it is not necessary to have a secondary fermentation? If not, what does it add to your brew? Why do people do it?

It's not necessary. I do it for clearing of my brews. I like to get as much out of the primary as I can, so I usually suck a little too much yeast. When you transfer to the secondary, that yeast will fall out of suspension, then I transfer to the bottling bucket(with the priming sugar), then bottle. I get a clearer beer in the bottle.

It does clear it up a bit. Racking to a secondary takes it off the trub. I do it to free up my primary carboy though, because I try to brew one batch a week.

Some people find that using a secondary gives them clearer beer - think see through. However, IMO and experience, you can have perfectly clear beer with good brewing practice and no secondary. Plus, there's no danger to the beer sitting three (or even six) weeks on the trub.

At the end of the day, it is not necessary and many people find it to be a waste of time and an unnecessary risk for exposing beer to infection and oxidation. Still, it's a matter of personal practice and opinion. I say try the same recipe - one using secondary, one without - and see which you prefer.

:mug:

The consensus here is, no need to secondary unless you are using adjuncts. The thought used to be getting the wort off the yeast as soon as possible would produce cleaner tasting beer. When racking into another vessel, there is always the possibility of oxidation and/or infection to deal with, so moving your wort as little as possible is best.

I got two better bottles this weekend and tossed my coopers kit in it. Mostly so I can save on equipment by freeing up my primary/bottling bucket for the next beer, or bottling an existing one; I wasn't too concerned about extra clarity that may or may not be present by the time bottle conditioning is done.

Wow great read!!!
Unless I missed it, the secondary was not purged and there was massive head space. Also, transferring to secondary after only one week and not cold crashing primary first leaves a lot yeast in suspension. In effect retaining the yeasts influence on the finished beer which negates the point of dry hopping in a secondary.

Nice effort, but no sound conclusions can be drawn from this experiment.

Back