Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Junior_Brewmaster, I was recently confused on this point, too, when making a chocolate stout, in which it add me add cacao nibs —2 weeks—in secondary. In that case it meant to add 2 weeks before kegging/bottling. I'd think that would mean the same here, too.

I would just add those 3 "secondary" ingredients to my primary fermenter just after after hitting final gravity (bonus points if you can do it without introducing/minimizing o2), then let it sit for 10 days, then bottle/keg. At this point in history, I'd only consider doing anything in a secondary fermenter if the beer was going to have a multi-month fermentation schedule and yeast autolysis was actually a concern.

-bc

The 3 flavoring items from your recipe:
  • 2.00 Items Vanilla Beans in Vodka (Secondary 10.0 days)
  • 1.00 tsp Graham Cracker Extract (Secondary 10.0 days)
  • 1.00 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Secondary 10.0 days)
Did you soak the Vanilla beans in vodka yet? I would soak them for a week, at least, while fermenting the batch.
Vanilla beans need to be cut in half lengthwise, pulp scraped out, then skin cut up into smaller pieces, before adding it all to a jar with 4-8 oz Vodka, Bourbon, or so. Shake that jar a few times a day while fermenting the batch.

When the active fermentation has finished, add the whole content of the jar, the pumpkin spice, and extract* to your (primary) fermenter, no need for a secondary. Let that integrate while your beer is conditioning, for another week, then package.

* The Graham Cracker Extract can be added directly to your bottling bucket or keg, if you so choose.

Latest posts

Back