Saving a beer that fermented hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale on Sun, had an issue with my wort temp....cooled it too much and pitched some 1056 at 60 deg. Put the primary in the basement, checked it two days later and it was bubbling away at 78deg.....ooops. Now I know I need a swamp cooler. Today I looked and the bubbling had stopped and the temp was around 75. I know this was too hot for this yeast, I read about the esters that should come with high fermentation temps....my question is, can I do anything to fix this? Leave it longer in the primary? Any suggestions?

First, I would go to the store and buy a cheap bucket (slightly bigger than fermenter) put your fermenter in it and fill with water...you may need to feel a water bottle with water and freeze it, then drop it in your water bucket to bring the temp down lower...but this should help your beer now.
In regards to your beer...I would let the beer sit in your primary for three weeks total...usually two weeks for primary and one week for conditioning....this conditioning process will help clean some of this up. Finally if it taste bad from the first bottle, let it sit longer and try again, it should get better.

If it was Belgian yeast you're gonna be great! I let a blonde on Notty go through a weeknqith no AC last summer and it got into the 80s and tasted like pure liquid sulfur.

I'd say bottle it and see what happens

I brewed a pale ale on Sun, had an issue with my wort temp....cooled it too much and pitched some 1056 at 60 deg. Put the primary in the basement, checked it two days later and it was bubbling away at 78deg.....ooops. Now I know I need a swamp cooler. Today I looked and the bubbling had stopped and the temp was around 75. I know this was too hot for this yeast, I read about the esters that should come with high fermentation temps....my question is, can I do anything to fix this? Leave it longer in the primary? Any suggestions?

You can't fix it. Esters are esters, and you'll be left with higher alcohols that just don't really go away. Some of their volatility may decrease, but it'll never vanish. Just be more careful next time.

It will just be fruity as hell. Honestly since you pitched at 60 it might not be as bad as you think, at least you started cold. You might be able to dry hop the crap out of it to cover up some of those esters??

But have you tasted it yet, or are you just having noobish panic? How do you KNOW it is ruined???? Don't be so quick to declare a beer ruined, it's hardier than you think.

Much of the ester production that occurs occurs during the first 24 hours or so of ferm.

You pitched at a nice low temp and I would say you'll probably be ok, unless the temps climbed up quickly. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edit: There are breweries that keep their beers under tight temp control for the first 24 hours of fermentation and then move the beers to warmer temps so they can speed up the process.

But have you tasted it yet, or are you just having noobish panic? How do you KNOW it is ruined???? Don't be so quick to declare a beer ruined, it's hardier than you think.

Well I am a noob, but I haven't panicked...yet:). I just knew that the temps were outside the recommended range, and wondered if there was anything I could do to minimize the damage....if there is any. I know from what I have read here, that it will be beer. :mug:

My first beer was a milk stout that fermented high around 78 for the first 12 hours, but I cooled it down and I think it will turn out pretty good. I haven't bottled yet, but initial tasting was good. Just let it ride and see how it turns out.

Back