Can I ferment and spund ales in a keg and retain esters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksbrew

Reaction score
Hi! First off, love all the great helpful people who post on here!
I was gonna direct message a member - Odie - who I think has a lot of knowledge on this based on their past posts - but it looks like you need to have a certain number (5?) of posts before this is unlocked. I've read a bunch of posts on related topics but they didn't fully address my question.

Are there ale yeasts that, If I want to get good ester expression, I need to not use a spunding valve for at all? Or is there a point (like sometime after kreusen dies down) that I should be ok to start spunding without killing ester expression? Or does it vary highly between yeast strains - so it would just be an experiment every new strain I try?

Little backstory if wanted/needed:
So I tried my first two ales fermented in corny kegs recently, an english ale with WY1469 and hefeweizen with WY3068. I used a blowoff tube until the kreusen died down, then I attached a spunding valve to both. The english ale seems to have good esters, maybe a little muted but it seems similar to other ales I've made with this yeast. The hefewiezen is really boring, though, it tastes almost like an american wheat. The pressure in the two kegs only reached about 20 psi at room temp at the end of fermentation, so I would need to attach the spunding valve sooner if I wanted to fully carb the hefewiezen that way.

I can't be sure the muted expression on the hefe is from the pressure added due to spunding because I had a fermentation temp control debacle at the same time.
The old wine fridge that I use with an inkbird stopped working during peak kreusen activity, so the temperatures swung from high of 73 down to low 60s after I busted out the old school swamp cooler methods to reign it in. Maybe the downward swing to about 60 F (which lasted quite a while) muted the expression?
I originally was excited about streamlining by fermenting & serving from the same keg and spunding to skip the carbonating step afterward - but now I'm wondering if this is not possible while still getting good esters. Like I said above though, the temp control debacle has confounded the results.

Thanks!

I don't have any definitive answers. I'm only recently been keg fermenting.

What I have observed is that ales seem to come out better without any pressure until post krausen when they are finishing up.

Hefes...definitely NO PRESSURE until the peak fermentation has passed.

Lagers...seem to be just fine with immediate pressure/spunding (5-15ish range) and also at warm ale temps too.

But I've also noticed my last few beers...it's taking longer than normal to drop to FG. An anomaly or what I don't know.

Pressure, even moderate pressures, can inhibit or prevent yeast propagation. It does not stop the yeast from fermenting, but it stops the yeast from multiplying so that fewer yeast will take longer to get the job done.

Thanks @odie ! Were you able to fully carbonate the hefe using spunding? I think I started spunding after I stopped getting kreusen in the blow off tube - I think it was about one bubble every 3 seconds - and it only got to about 20 psi at 65 F. About how many bubbles or what SG were you at when you started spunding?

fully carbonating is a very hard target naturally.

Once you start spunding, you don't really know how much more it's gonna go until FG. Yeah, you can do a hydrometer reading and see about how far it's come. But no real way of knowing how much CO2 is still to come.

And carbonation is base on volumes of CO2, not psi. Your fermenting temps are much different than serving temps. A carb chart will get you in the ball park.

theoretically, with a spunding valve, temperature control and enough residual fermentation left...you could hit your carbonation target.

The trick is to remove the blowoff tube and spund while there is still enough fermentation to go.

Don't worry about it. When it's time to serve, chill, put on gas and it will finish carbing to your setting.

If it's over carbed a little bit. vent it some or just drink it down to open up headspace.

Alright thanks for the info y’all. I might try spunding another hefe after activity has died down some and see if it wasn’t just my ferm temp debacle after all. I think I’ll try another English ale too. If it’s still muted flavors on the hefe I’ll prob just give up on spunding them all together - not a huge loss. Will still do lagers tho.

Alright thanks for the info y’all. I might try spunding another hefe after activity has died down some and see if it wasn’t just my ferm temp debacle after all. I think I’ll try another English ale too. If it’s still muted flavors on the hefe I’ll prob just give up on spunding them all together - not a huge loss. Will still do lagers tho.

I'd refrain from pressure fermenting a Hefe. However, that's just me . Gotta brew how you want . Under pitching a Hefe works great for that beer as well.

I'd refrain from pressure fermenting a Hefe. However, that's just me . Gotta brew how you want . Under pitching a Hefe works great for that beer as well.
Hi @Jag75 ! I read the article you linked. I don't doubt the kegland people know what they're talking about, I just wanted to hear from individuals - to get their experiences with different strains of yeast and how much ester suppression happened for each. I don't mind experimenting myself but I would like to avoid brewing a bunch of bland tasting ales in the process 😄What was your experience like when you spunded a hefe after you were past the blow off tube period? When did you start spunding, yeast strain, level of ester suppression? Thanks

Last edited:
Hi @Jag75 ! I read the article you linked. I don't doubt the kegland people know what they're talking about, I just wanted to hear from individuals - to get their experiences with different strains of yeast and how much ester suppression happened for each. I don't mind experimenting myself but I would like to avoid brewing a bunch of bland tasting ales in the process 😄What was your experience like when you spunded a hefe after you were past the blow off tube period? When did you start spunding, yeast strain, level of ester suppression? Thanks

When you cap off towards the end of fermentation, I wouldn't consider that pressure fermenting. Hefes are supposed to be big on esters . I don't cap my Hefes until a few days before I transfer . Pressure fermentation combats esters , which is countertuitive to a Hefe . I like that banana/clove to stand out .

When I do pressure ferment , it's 99% Lagers.

Oh yeah the only thing i would consider "pressure fermenting" (pressure from the very beginning) is lagers. My goal was to carbonate using fermentation co2, not surpress esters. When you cap them its happening at least 3 days after the start of fermentation? I assume you need to finish the carbonation using a co2 tank?

Back