Sanitizing barb on SS brew bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdp

Reaction score
I'm using my new unit for the first time --- realized I've no idea how to sanitize the barb and attach a sanitized hose to it when it's time to keg (unusually I heat the hose in hot water, attach to autosiphon and sanitize that when racking). Perhaps someone already figured this out??!!

I fill the SS Brew Bucket with a couple gallons of Star San and drain it through the valve back into gallon containers. I spray the valve with Star San as well as the inside and outside of the tubing.

Thanks - it's fermenting now so I can't put starsan through it again (I did do that for the fermentation)... good idea to spray it and the tubing though... that's what I need to do.

Before starting fermentation, the barb is cleaned and sanitized along with the rest of the fermentor. Once fermentation has started, before I take a sample or rack, I clean the inside of the barb with water or cleaning solution on a Q-tip, and then sanitize with Starsan on a Q-tip. I then spray the outside with Starsan and let it sit for a minute or so before attaching the sanitized tube.

Before starting fermentation, the barb is cleaned and sanitized along with the rest of the fermentor. Once fermentation has started, before I take a sample or rack, I clean the inside of the barb with water or cleaning solution on a Q-tip, and then sanitize with Starsan on a Q-tip. I then spray the outside with Starsan and let it sit for a minute or so before attaching the sanitized tube.

+1 as this is the same method I use. I also spray some StarSan up the valve with a towel underneath to catch the excess.

Back