Saison, with, or without, spices? Competition coming up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troxs

Reaction score
So, just a quick question. I'm tempted to make a Saison with a star anise and wormwood (a play on absinthe). Would this be to insane of an idea to send to competition or should I stick to the simple lemon lavender saison, or keep it simple with plan grain and hop leaving the yeast to lend the fruity belgian flavor?

Yeah, its insane....
I'm kind of a brewing cheapskate and planing on spending money on entry fees and shipping costs to enter a beer of unknown quality isn't something I would do.
However, I think you should brew the beer with the spices listed above and see if you like it.
Maybe it will be good enough the first time around, but its more likely it will take some re-brews and tweaking before its competition ready.

My experience is that the strong "unexpected" flavors don't do well in competitions, even in fruit/spice categories. Make it, perfect it, and get recognition from your friends and fellow brewers. ...then again you never know!

I do plan to create the absinthe Saison for home/party share, but there is a competition in January and I'd like to enter to see where I stand. Granted I'm not 100% sure of why I want to enter, because everything I'm getting from research is that they only want beers to taste like beers tasted for the last 100 years. They aren't looking for something unique. They are simply looking for a checklist of items created years ago. (sorry mini rant over)

I do plan to create the absinthe Saison for home/party share, but there is a competition in January and I'd like to enter to see where I stand. Granted I'm not 100% sure of why I want to enter, because everything I'm getting from research is that they only want beers to taste like beers tasted for the last 100 years. They aren't looking for something unique. They are simply looking for a checklist of items created years ago. (sorry mini rant over)

Totally get it Troxs! Even with certified judges, there is still SO much that is subjective/biased when it comes to taste and smell. Besides, when I brew I do it to make something that is tasty, not to reach a standard set of specifications. For those reasons, I'm not much of a competition guy.

...but that feeling when you win though...

I would also play with the recipe (or at least taste the result) before entering. Star anise and wormwood both have really overpowering flavors and if you are planning on the saison being really dry they might just face punch people. I don't know about wormwood but even small amounts of star anus really punch hard, I usually only enjoy it as an addition to pickling liquid for ramps or something similar.

That being said my first competition entry is a hodge-podge of non-sense. A kettle soured ale with hibiscus tea and blackberry puree with lactose and Nelson Sauvin hops. So do as I say not as I do I guess. Although I do have this brew in hand to taste and judge if I feel it is competition worthy.

I don't know about wormwood but even small amounts of star anus really punch hard

Gotta love auto-correct! :)

It's worth noting there's several different species of wormwood, but Artemisia absinthium at least has a pretty strong, bitter/aromatic flavour but I believe most of the other species have a milder flavour.

From what I have heard about those spices is that it is extremely easy to over do them. I would brew it and taste it before sending it to a competition.

Gotta love auto-correct! :)

It's worth noting there's several different species of wormwood, but Artemisia absinthium at least has a pretty strong, bitter/aromatic flavour but I believe most of the other species have a milder flavour.

Haha not auto-correct just slipping in my disdain for that herb, but all sneaky-like. Cheers!

Back