Spiced Cider Timing and Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
I just finished fermenting 5 gallons of cider obtained at my home brew clubs annual apple pick and cider press. I fermented it with Fermentis SafLager BE-134 Saison yeast. It has been about 18 days and it tastes pretty good.

I am making a spiced cider. I have added about a cup of store bought mulling spices and a couple cinnamon sticks.

My questions are these:

1.) How long should I expect to leave the spices in the cider. I plan on tasting it every day or two and pulling them when they hit the spot I am looking for but maybe adding a little more time without overdoing it because of the following..

2.) I may leave them an extra day or two because I plan on backsweeting the cider before bottling with a couple cans of apple juice concentrate. I think this will offset the spiceness, and give me a nice sweet apple flavor, but I am not sure.

So, does anyone have any comments on my plan or suggestions?

Thanks.

Couple things here ... depending on the yeast, OG etc. I would wait to add the spices until secondary. Most of the time spices, especially cinnamon, get eaten by the yeast. I make a spiced apple pumpkin cider every fall and this is what I do, turns out great. I make a tincture and just mix it into secondary.

Also, backsweetening won’t temper the spices, you’ll just begin to get a candy like flavor.

Back