Saison Bruxellensis Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itoriapt

Reaction score
I have brewed myself a saison with the WLP585 as the primary yeast strain. The beer got down to 1.003 in the primary. This wasn't my plan, but my mash temp got down to 147 by the end. I am now wanting to pitch the Wyeast 5112 Brettanomyces bruxellensis into the secondary. The way I see it is I have three choices going into the secondary.

a) I could add maltodextrin to the beer to add some food for the funk.

b) I could pull an unconverted portion of the mash from my next beer and boil to denature the enzymes then add to the secondary of the saison. Similar to a turbid mash.

c) I could do nothing and move to seconary add the brett and let nature take it's course.

I am not very experienced with using brett so any advise would be helpful.

Tap 1: Bohemian Plisner
Tap 2: Munich Dunkle
Lagering: Rauch Bier
Primary: Saison Brux
Barrel Aging: Flanders Red
Bottle Aging: Flander Brown

Sounds like you brewed a good Saison. I'd say bottle and design a new beer for the Brett.

1.003 doesn't leave much for the Brett to work on, and if you mess with it, you might ruin it.

If anything I'd go with option two. If you don't like that route option one if you must. Here's an other option. Next time pitch brett and sacch together. You'll get some more flavor development that way and you won't end up at 3 points left when you were hoping for 6 or so. That is unless you want to repitch the sacch as a subsequent pure culture. I think pure cultures are boring though.

Saisons are always going to dry out. You can add brett as a bottling strain and get some brett flavor in the bottle as long as you have bottles capable of withstanding possible added pressure (e.g. the corked Belgian bottles, weizen bottles, or champagne bottles). You can also add brett in secondary. Brett will consume the leftover starches and sugars but it can also play with yeast esters and will even ferment alcohol. So it's not necessary that you have a lot of remaining sugars for brett. You could add maltodextrin if you really wanted but it's not necessary. If you want big brett flavor, I agree that you should brew another saison and pitch the brett along with your saison strain at the beginning but keep in mind many brett-forward beers are just bottled with brett. That includes orval and boulevard's brett-saison.

Back